Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:45 AM

94 posts, read 395,228 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I've been reading these boards for a few weeks, and figured it's time to start my own thread. I currently live in Philadelphia, but will be moving to Phoenix in late May/early June to work at the ASU downtown campus. It's early yet, but I'm already trying to get a feel for the different living options I'll have to choose from.

Just coming out of grad school there's no way I can even think about buying in the foreseeable future, so I'll definitely be renting. My dream living situation would be a two-bedroom loft within walking distance of work. It seems that there are frequently rental opportunities at Fillmore and even Orpheum, as well as Copper Square. I'm not going to be independently wealthy, though, so I'd like to keep the rent as close to around $1000/1100 as possible. That might be tricky based on what I've seen advertised.

Alternatively, somewhere a little farther away but convenient to the light rail--I can suck it up and drive to work those first few months until the rail is up and running, but I don't want to have to hassle with driving and parking in the long term. Maybe somewhere up 7th Ave?

Of course, even though I can judge distances from maps and have been reading as much as possible to try to get a feel for the different neighborhoods, I won't really be able to tell what places are like until I come for my reconnaissance mission in April or so. (Parenthetically, I did visit when I interviewed for my future job, but it was a brief trip and I just got a driving tour of Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Tempe--it's all kind of a blur right now.) Meanwhile, any ideas about where I should concentrate my search? Is it worth going farther north and having to ride the rail, but save a couple hundred dollars on rent? I don't want a yard but I would like a balcony, and I prefer an apartment or condo to a house.

I'm more of a city dweller and I know downtown Phoenix is still a work in progress, but it seems the Copper Square/Roosevelt area is becoming a pretty interesting neighborhood, with places to go in the evenings and on weekends. I expect that the growth of the downtown campus will contribute to that growth. On the other hand, it would be nice not to have to get in the car every time I need to buy groceries. (I know, I know, but a person can dream, right?) What other options should I be considering?

Thanks in advance for your tips--I've really enjoyed reading the threads and admiring everyone's photos these past few weeks. I know you're a helpful bunch and will have some good ideas for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 09:03 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,957,761 times
Glad to see another person moving to downtown Phoenix, the more people down there, the better for all of us.

I just did a quick search on MLS for rentals within the downtown area and came up wtih 42 results, ranging from $995 to $8950 per month. There are a handful at $1200 or less, including units at Orpheum Lofts, which is very close to your work, and even at Summit at Copper Square, the brand new 22 story tower...although it's not quite as walkable but still do-able, probably 3/4 - 1 mile walk? Also a couple units at 101 N 7th St, one being the $995 one, and also about 1 mile from campus.

As for groceries and such, I know a lot of people complain how there isn't a grocery store downtown and that's both true and not true. There isn't one right in the core, say in Copper Square, and there very well should be, but there are stores at 7th St and McDowell for example, which is only 1.25 miles from the 101 N 7th St apartments I mentioned. Thats going to be the same as living anywhere in the Phoenix...I'm in the suburbs and the nearest store to me is .75 miles and I'm right off a major street...there are plently of people that are 2...3...4...or more miles from any grocery store.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:16 AM

Thanks HX_Guy! I don't mind walking--in fact, here in Philly I don't even own a car, although that will obviously change when I move to Phoenix. I have no problem walking a mile or so for groceries, although in the summer I'd probably drive even if it were closer. An easy, pleasant walk at 80°F is something else at 110°!

I'm really looking forward to this move. Phoenix and Arizona in general are nothing like anywhere else I've ever been. To me it feels a lot like moving to a foreign country; since I've lived abroad quite a lot, it's a familiar (and good) feeling!

Phoenix seems to be poised on the edge of some exciting changes, and I think it will be fun to be a part of it. I'm sure I'll be plying you all with dozens of questions as the time for my move approaches. Meanwhile I'm reading all about utilities, day trips, restaurant recommendations, and everything else you all discuss here.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:25 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,466,905 times
It sounds like you've already done a lot of research and are headed in the right direction. HXG has given you some good info. A few other thoughts:

-- I don't think there's a whole lot of new residential development along 7th Ave. I might look more along Central Ave., 3rd St., and 7th St.

-- Even before light rail starts in 12/08, Central and the 7's have some of the most frequent bus service in Phoenix. It would not be a problem to commute via bus between Downtown and Midtown.

-- As for groceries, a few options:

1. There is a farmer's market near ASU Downtown on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings. I've been disappointed with it in the past, but it seems to be getting better. There will soon be a permanent structure with hours throughout the week.

2. The Pro's Ranch Market at 16th St. and Roosevelt is very impressive. The store caters primarily to Hispanic shoppers, but all are welcome.

3. AJ's, an upscale grocer, intends to open in the new CityScape project, although it's hard to predict an exact timeline.

4. At 7th Ave & Indian School in Midtown, a branch of Tesco's new Fresh and Easy grocery is under construction.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:14 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,957,761 times
Central and Camelback already has an AJs as well...too far for walking, but once the light rail is up, I believe there is a station right at that intersection.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:23 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,273,758 times
Don't overlook craigslist for rental listings, I went to the Phoenix all housing page, searched for 'Fillmore', and the link below was the first one to come up.

$900 / 1br - Historic 1 Bedroom apartment-Infron of Cibo's-Walk to ASU
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/apa/513275943.html (broken link)

Old 12-18-2007, 02:02 PM

Yes, I've been scouring Craigslist and Hotpads for a few weeks. One bedroom would definitely be easier to find in my range, but every once in a while there are some good two-bedroom options there, too. I just have to hope there's still something left by late spring!

Old 12-19-2007, 09:24 AM

Default What about utilities?

I know there was a recent thread on utilities, but it was a little vague and not quite what I was looking for. Specifically, I'm wondering what I can expect to spend on electricity for, say, a 1000-sq. ft. apartment in downtown Phoenix. Mostly, of course, I'm trying to figure out how to budget to account for air conditioning.

Here in Philadelphia the summers can get horribly hot and humid. For the most part I keep my A/C set to around 80, although I'll drop it a couple of degrees when I've just come in from outside and need to cool down. I usually turn it off at night except when the heat is really unbearable and has been going on for several days.

In AZ, I expect I'll have to keep it running a lot more, and usually overnight. I'm also hoping to have a washer and dryer in my apartment, which I don't have here. So it's hard for me to calculate what I'll be spending on electricity year round. Anyone with experience want to chime in with a guesstimate?

Old 12-21-2007, 08:20 AM

837 posts, read 2,337,604 times
Good post. I am a michigan transplant living in AZ for 1 year now. I currently live in Litchfield Park, I'm renting, and don't plan on buying untill the market levels off, plus I still own my home in MI. I work downtown on 5th st and Van Buren in the APS building, and i too have been comtemplating moving downtown. I have always dreamed of living downtown in a major city. My lease is up in Feburary and I need to decide something fairly quick. I have a couple stipulations though. I need a garage for my classic car. I thought about putting it in storage but that's an additional $100 a month that could be going towards rent.
Idealy I would like to be in a loft style apt/condo, but I can do a house in some of the older residential neighborhoods.
The only thing is downtown is really nice but once you get west of 7th ave, and west of 7th st it gets a bit run down, and I've seen many homeless people. Meaning that the radius of nice desirable living spaces is somewhat limited.
I'm flexible in the fact that I wouldn't mind living north of downtown, but at any rate I need to get out of the west valley. I spend about $200-250 a month in gas JUST getting to and from work.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:49 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,746,240 times
Hi Plin
I am from Philly and I live downtown Phoenix now.
I have been here for about 8 yrs and bought a cookie cutter home near cave creek.
We lived there for 6 yrs and I much prefer the downtown area myself.
I have seen tremendous changes and growth here.
Knowing you are from Philly I believe you will appreciate the area too.
My grandaughter goes to school at Career Success at Copper Square and we couldn't be happier with the curriculum.
When we told our neighbors we were moving downtown they were astonished.
We heard "Oh no, you can't move down there, its to dangerous" & EWWW it's really bad there, I wouldnt go there."
Well, I have always had my own ideas and coming from Philly, I am not afraid of much
Anyway, I am glad I made the move .
Besides I can find my house now because they don't all look alike down here
Good luck to ya and let us know when you get here, we can share some stories and have a coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area