Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 10:09 AM

48 posts, read 82,310 times

Advertisements

Hello-My husband and I are newly retired with adult children and grandchildren in Paradise Valley (they relocated from Chicago several years ago). We are coming down to investigate a permanent move to the area. I have done some heavy investigation of all the age restricted communities (Trilogy at Vistncia, Canta Mia, Pebblecreek, etc) but I am wondering if there are any specific areas within the Scottsdale community that are under 500k that a senior couple would feel right at home and not surrounded by young families. While I love children, we do not want a family oriented neighborhood. Unfortunately realtors cannot 'steer' us to any one location when asked about this as it is illegal under 'age discrimination'. Our children are not familiar with areas because of their newness to the Scottsdale area themselves. Any help or advice you might be able to give will be so appreciated. This is a scary move to make. We have lived in the same house for 35 years and although we would have loved to keep our home here and purchase a condo for a second winter home, we can't really afford much more than 200k. In reviewing those listings for months, I see very few that are really bright and sunny with lots of windows. Most seem kind of dreary and depressing or the type of place young singles would live. Thanks in advance for anything you might be able to share with me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 02:38 PM

107 posts, read 201,560 times
I'm not sure what you mean by "heavy investigation of all the age restricted communities," but (at least in Mesa), there are probably hundreds of 55+ communities, running the gamut from RV parks to single wides to nice manufactured homes to nice golf course custom homes. I can't imagine a realtor not steering you towards one - my parents' realtor had no problem finding them what they were looking for.

Perhaps you could consider renting a place for the winter and making a decision during the summer, once you have some experience out here?

My grandparents rented for their first several years coming out here in the mid-70s, trying Tempe, Ahwatukee, and west Mesa before ending up in the far east valley.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:44 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,178,295 times
Why not consider Corte Bella in SCW? It is a lovely country club community with loads of amenities and you can find homes like this easily.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:55 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Why not consider Corte Bella in SCW?
The OP is making a move exclusively to be close to her kids and grand kids that relocated to Paradise Valley. SSW would be a 80 mile round trip (50 minute drive each way). I suspect any retirement areas closer to PV would be ideal. Her budget is $500K budget.

To the OP. Fountain Hills has a lot of senior residence. In fact the average age is almost 54 years old http://www.city-data.com/city/Founta...s-Arizona.html . Fountain Hills to PV is 17 miles away (25 minute drive).

Old 09-28-2014, 10:31 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,178,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
The OP is making a move exclusively to be close to her kids and grand kids that relocated to Paradise Valley. SSW would be a 80 mile round trip (50 minute drive each way). I suspect any retirement areas closer to PV would be ideal. Her budget is $500K budget.

To the OP. Fountain Hills has a lot of senior residence. In fact the average age is almost 54 years old http://www.city-data.com/city/Founta...s-Arizona.html . Fountain Hills to PV is 17 miles away (25 minute drive).
I think there was a typo in her post. Her budget is $200K. "we can't really afford much more than 200k." For $500K she can have her choice of places to live anywhere in the valley.

And yes, Fountain Hills is certainly an option for her, but cannot guarantee a quiet location.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:45 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
I think there was a typo in her post. Her budget is $200K. "we can't really afford much more than 200k." For $500K she can have her choice of places to live anywhere in the valley.

And yes, Fountain Hills is certainly an option for her, but cannot guarantee a quiet location.
Reread her post. The $200K price was if they stayed in IL and bought a 2nd home condo. Under $500K is budget as they plan on leaving IL.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:58 PM

45 posts, read 64,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkypjy View Post
In reviewing those listings for months, I see very few that are really bright and sunny with lots of windows. Most seem kind of dreary and depressing!

Keep in mind, "bright and sunny" and "lots of windows" can also equate hot and expensive in summer, and summers are LONG! Speaking only for myself, I love that my house does not have huge windows, and that it does have plantation shutters that shut out a lot of the sunlight

Added to really good insulation, it keeps my house reasonably comfortable through June, without blasting the a/c 24/7

But, if you're comfortable paying bigger electric bills 8 months of the year...there are certainly places that will give you lots of windows and sunshine!

Old 09-29-2014, 04:11 PM

336 posts, read 579,054 times
You should explore Terravita. There are very few children there even though it is not age-restricted. It is a country club but without the country club price tag. It is really pretty and the lots are larger than most.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:10 AM

48 posts, read 82,310 times
Thanks, everyone, for your comments and suggestions. Yes, the 200K limit is if we were purchasing a winter place and keeping our home here in suburban Chicago. The 500K limit is for full time residence. We will be coming down in two weeks for our first
real look-see. Are there any recommendations for condo developments near Paradise Valley that are not young/single communities within our price range? Thanks again for any feedback as this site is so helpful for so many and I so appreciate your taking the time to answer. Best to you!

Old 10-05-2014, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 923 times
Hi:

I am looking for something in the Tucson, Phoenix or Scottdale, AZ area. Preferably a Condo and not more than $150,000 to purchase. I will have to sell my house in Michigan, but that should not be a problem. I would also like something in a Senior Citizens area that would be safe.

Janice Cauffman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area