Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 01:14 PM

12 posts, read 13,137 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone my name is Brandon. My fiancé and I fell in love with Phoenix when we went for a visit. We currently live in Maryland. We are getting married July 2015 and we are looking to relocate to Phoenix. What advice would you give to a young couple who is moving across the USA to start their lives together? I am currently in the IT field and have amounted a great deal of experience. She has a degree in Media technology. We are both in our Mid to late 20's with no children and this is a great time we believe in our lives leave our families and spread our wings. We have looked at Scottsdale, Tempe and downtown Phoenix. What would you guys say is the most affordable? We look forward to your help. Thank you all very much for your time

Brandon & Danielle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 01:29 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Tempe would most likely be cheapest. I wouldnt recommend downtown, but thats just me. Too questionable people down there for my tastes. You can find more activity in Tempe along Mill as you can downtown Phoenix, and avoid all the panhandlers, etc. Scottsdale can be affordable, but in my observations, its in the areas that arent very desireable. Be prepared to take a massive paycut when you move here. I took a 50% cut myself, and times havent been kind to me since Ive arrived, hopefully your situation will be better than mine. Anyways, enjoy Phoenix, conserve your water, and welcome!

Old 11-03-2014, 01:44 PM

Steve-O thank you for your response. I hope things are on the up and up for you. I appreciate you sharing your story. Tempe was very nice from what we saw. It definitely was a college town but Im sure we would love it. The pay cut aspect is what scares me

Old 11-03-2014, 02:05 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Agree with the above, though I think downtown/midtown Phoenix is a viable option. I work near downtown, and don't see signficant issues with panhandlers, etc. Less than there used to be in the past, and the light rail makes downtown Tempe very accessible. I love Tempe, have lived there for decades, so I think you'd be fine there, too.

I will say what others have said to those who decide to move here after they visit. Visiting a place on vacation and living there can be very different things. That said, you are young and mobile, and now is the time to try things out. Be prepared for the pay cut, though.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:24 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD711 View Post
Steve-O thank you for your response. I hope things are on the up and up for you. I appreciate you sharing your story. Tempe was very nice from what we saw. It definitely was a college town but Im sure we would love it. The pay cut aspect is what scares me
Glad to help! Tempe is a fun town, lots to do, and not too far from Phoenix or Scottsdale if you want additional nightlife and get worn out from the college scene.

And what Observer53 said, living here and visiting here are two completely different things. I see a TON of people move here because they came here in the winter, fell in love with the palms, and then move here, only to tuck tail and run years later because the heat beat their butt into the ground. Finding jobs is kinda hard, too. Ive applied for lots of part-time work, and cant even find that as of right now. Make sure you visit in the summer for a week or two, get a feel for the heat youll have deal with for months on end. Be prepared for rock yards, strip malls, horrible drivers, possible scorpion problems, etc, etc. Not trying to scare you, just preparing for what youll likely encounter. Be sure to have jobs lined up first, thats of the utmost importance.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:26 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Glad to help! Tempe is a fun town, lots to do, and not too far from Phoenix or Scottsdale if you want additional nightlife and get worn out from the college scene.

And what Observer53 said, living here and visiting here are two completely different things. I see a TON of people move here because they came here in the winter, fell in love with the palms, and then move here, only to tuck tail and run years later because the heat beat their butt into the ground. Finding jobs is kinda hard, too. Ive applied for lots of part-time work, and cant even find that as of right now. Make sure you visit in the summer for a week or two, get a feel for the heat youll have deal with for months on end. Be prepared for rock yards, strip malls, horrible drivers, possible scorpion problems, etc, etc. Not trying to scare you, just preparing for what youll likely encounter. Be sure to have jobs lined up first, thats of the utmost importance.

Depends on your skills set and the industry you are in. I have found finding a job to be fairly easy. I also did not take a pay cut moving here, and moved with no job lined up ahead of time.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:27 PM

Hmm very insightful Observer53. What would you say the average cost of Rent in downtown Phx Vs lets say Tempe?

Old 11-03-2014, 02:30 PM

ElleTea,
What industry are in? Where did you settle down? Tempe?

Old 11-03-2014, 02:44 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD711 View Post
ElleTea,
What industry are in? Where did you settle down? Tempe?

I have many years of experience in accounting and have a IT degree. I moved to Deer Valley last year when I relocated and am moving to Mesa later this month. I have changed jobs since I arrived, and both rounds of job hunting went fairly easily for me. Found my first job in about 10 days; this one took a little longer, about 3 weeks. (I would have been hired for another position the first week of looking, but he needed someone to start immediately so went with someone else because I insisted on givning 2 weeks notice to my previous employer)

Old 11-03-2014, 02:53 PM

Ok understood. Sounds good. I am currently A server admin and My previous position I was a LAN Admin. I work for a major company so my only quirk is finding an IT job that pays at least 50k in Tempe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area