Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 11:14 PM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Solution -- several law suits ought to do the trick very nicely. Particularly when the owner admitted responsibility on video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 05:01 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Solution -- several law suits ought to do the trick very nicely. Particularly when the owner admitted responsibility on video.
They can fine him up to $10,000 a day. I think that was his motivation. Per the article, he is pouring on thousands of gallons of his own water on the fire to snuff it out.

Call me suspicious but I wonder if he would have any motivation to start the fire? He certainly has the ability to personally put it out himself.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
We made the mistake of driving down Northern last night on the way to Glendale Glitters. The smoke was so thick in pockets from Litchfield Rd. to well east of Dysart that we came home smelling like fire smoke.
Here's what baffles me, it would seem that this would've been a decent training fire for many fire depts including Luke where they "could" have dumped foam to smother it. Could've also been a great training fire for the convict crews.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:28 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,727,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Call me suspicious but I wonder if he would have any motivation to start the fire? He certainly has the ability to personally put it out himself.
Making room for more crap was pretty good motivation.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:50 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,048,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
What bugs me is the fact that some clown(s) starts a fire in what is actually a dump and nobody is held accountable.

Heck, if it's ok for these "compost" owners to burn their crap without consequences it should be ok for anyone to burn crap in their own yard any time of year.
I agree. When millions of people are negatively affected by someone's mistake, they need to be fined.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:52 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Call me suspicious but I wonder if he would have any motivation to start the fire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I agree. When millions of people are negatively affected by someone's mistake, they need to be fined.
I wonder if some businesses or individuals will sue him? While it's unpleasant for most to inhale this smoke and can cause burning eyes and headaches, for some it's down right dangerous beyond the PM 2.5/3.5 this and that. Some people have breathing issues and such and it can be life threatening for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

If he's not getting fined, I wonder if people will get a free pass when they light a fire in their fireplace on a few no burn days? Yeah, probably not.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Making room for more crap was pretty good motivation.
He claimed on TV that it might be arson. I'm betting on spontaneous combustion OR even more likely a worker or truck driver was smoking and tossed a lit one in a pile not thinking of what could happen.
Doesn't take much to start "hot" mulch on fire.

Given what he was storing and how much he was storing I do wonder why there was no thought given to fire suppression "just in case" this hot mess ever caught fire. I'd also be surprised if there's no County or State regulations regarding compiling this much combustable materiel in one place.
If there is why wasn't if followed and if there isn't regulations then shame on them.
You'd have to know that it'd be a real bad mess if it did catch.

I know if I can't get the smoke smell out of my new vehicle I'll be looking into something, that's for certain.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:12 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
He claimed on TV that it might be arson. I'm betting on spontaneous combustion OR even more likely a worker or truck driver was smoking and tossed a lit one in a pile not thinking of what could happen.
Doesn't take much to start "hot" mulch on fire.

Given what he was storing and how much he was storing I do wonder why there was no thought given to fire suppression "just in case" this hot mess ever caught fire. I'd also be surprised if there's no County or State regulations regarding compiling this much combustable materiel in one place.
If there is why wasn't if followed and if there isn't regulations then shame on them.
You'd have to know that it'd be a real bad mess if it did catch.

I know if I can't get the smoke smell out of my new vehicle I'll be looking into something, that's for certain.
This url, posted by wit-nit, mentions this:

West Valley mulch fire may be out by Monday

"The fire is on private land in an unincorporated part of Maricopa County."

Not sure how the "unincorporated" part influences regulations/fines that he could potentially face.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:13 AM

942 posts, read 2,520,841 times
It was so bad Friday morning that I sounded like I had COPD!

Old 11-30-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
This url, posted by wit-nit, mentions this:

West Valley mulch fire may be out by Monday

"The fire is on private land in an unincorporated part of Maricopa County."

Not sure how the "unincorporated" part influences regulations/fines that he could potentially face.
All that means <bold> is the land is not within city limits so city laws wouldn't apply but all County and State/Federal laws do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area