Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you want to see win the Superbowl?
Patriots 25 54.35%
Seahawks 21 45.65%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:26 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,607,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I get the Pats might have had an advantage with delated balls but losing 45-7 would not have made a difference in the outcome of the game and Andrew Luck who went to Stanford said the Pats won fair and square so I will trust his judgement over any "experts" on City Data.
The score is irrelevant. They cheated is what counts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 11:27 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I am not sure it would be a HUGE difference, otherwise you would have the referees checking the psi in the balls more often. Again, if they checked them before the game, I don't see in any of the reports that they check them at halftime...there was a WHOLE lot of abuse to those footballs during the course of the game. That plus the difference in air temperature between inside (where I assume they were checked) and the temperature at the end of the game would affect the psi (as it gets colder, psi goes down). Now I don't know how often they change the ball out over the course of the game or which team's ball is on the field when...unless they have video of someone actually deflating the ball...I don't think this is going to go anywhere.

Each team has their own ball on the field when they're on offense that's why it wasn't noticed until the interception. It wouldn't have made a bit of difference in the Colt game as they played like garbage but the Ravens game was decided by 4 points and if that was going on there too this would be huge.

Quote:
“Each team will make 12 primary balls available for testing by the Referee two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game to meet League requirements. The home team will also make 12 backup balls available for testing in all stadiums. In addition, the visitors, at their discretion, may bring 12 backup balls to be tested by the Referee for games held in outdoor stadiums. For all games, eight new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer to the Referee, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked by the Referee and used exclusively for the kicking game.
“In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted, the Referee shall secure a proper ball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball. Any such circumstances must be reported to the Commissioner.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:29 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
You realize this country is based on cheating, you don't think Wall St Guys cheat to become billionaires and politicians don't cheat and find crooked ways to raise money without paying taxes. This entire country is based on cheating somebody, you can't be become a billionaire in this country without s.crewing somebody out of some deal and finding loopholes in taxes thats a form of cheating.
You're rationalizing because you are a fan, I guess. It doesn't work. Sports is an area where we demand people play by the rules. The Pats ought to be disqualified. Of course they can't be and some minor slap on the wrist and a probable championship ring will be their punishment. But, they have (once again) tarnished the game. Maybe I can hold my nose and root for the Seahawks after all.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:34 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I am not sure it would be a HUGE difference, otherwise you would have the referees checking the psi in the balls more often. Again, if they checked them before the game, I don't see in any of the reports that they check them at halftime...there was a WHOLE lot of abuse to those footballs during the course of the game. That plus the difference in air temperature between inside (where I assume they were checked) and the temperature at the end of the game would affect the psi (as it gets colder, psi goes down). Now I don't know how often they change the ball out over the course of the game or which team's ball is on the field when...unless they have video of someone actually deflating the ball...I don't think this is going to go anywhere.
True!

Car/truck tires can slowly deflate by themselves during colder weather, as evidenced whenever my TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) icon lights up on the dashboard! Then I'll just re-inflate the tires back up to recommended PSI, and slightly above.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:37 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You're rationalizing because you are a fan, I guess. It doesn't work. Sports is an area where we demand people play by the rules. The Pats ought to be disqualified. Of course they can't be and some minor slap on the wrist and a probable championship ring will be their punishment. But, they have (once again) tarnished the game. Maybe I can hold my nose and root for the Seahawks after all.
I don't really care man, sports to me is just a form of entertainment, it does not pay my bills, who wins won't change my life for one second. I am just telling you how life is, I worked in business and everyone I worked with cheated to get ahead its part of finance. I am not saying it is right or wrong its just a fact of life.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:40 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
The score is irrelevant. They cheated is what counts
I don't really care I just going by what Andrew Luck said and He said the deflated balls didn't make an difference in the outcome of the game. I think Seattle will win the Super Bowl for what its worth anyhow.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:42 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
True!

Car/truck tires can slowly deflate by themselves during colder weather, as evidenced whenever my TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) icon lights up on the dashboard! Then I'll just re-inflate the tires back up to recommended PSI, and slightly above.
They do not self-deflate in cold weather any more than warm. Both footballs and tires have lower pressure in cold weather as predicted by the ideal gas law PV=nRT. As the temp (T) goes down the pressure P falls all else being equal. If the ball was brought to the same temp at which it was initially weighed, the pressure would be the same unless it had a leak or something - and 11 of 12 would not have had a leak. I presume the NFL was smart enough to test the pressures under the same conditions.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:49 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Quote:
The NFL has to prove that they actually tampered with the balls first...or if this was some sort of oversight by the Refs or if, through the course of the game, the ball lost some pressure.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:54 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Quote:
They do not self-deflate in cold weather any more than warm. Both footballs and tires have lower pressure in cold weather as predicted by the ideal gas law PV=nRT. As the temp (T) goes down the pressure P falls all else being equal. If the ball was brought to the same temp at which it was initially weighed, the pressure would be the same unless it had a leak or something - and 11 of 12 would not have had a leak. I presume the NFL was smart enough to test the pressures under the same conditions.
Unless...the league doesn't consider under-inflated balls to be that big of an issue?

Old 01-21-2015, 12:51 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,727,219 times
For anyone who thinks balls are balls here is a great story about Eli's balls:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/sp...wanted=1&_r=2&

An excerpt:

The Skibas explained the Giants’ procedure.
■ The new ball is rubbed vigorously for 45 minutes with a dark brush, which removes the wax and darkens the leather.
■ Next, a wet towel is used to scour the ball until the ball’s outer surface is soaked through.
“You’re not done until the ball is waterlogged and water will no longer bead on it,” Ed Skiba said.
■ While the ball is wet, it is brushed again.
■ Then the ball is taken over to an electric spin wheel, where it undergoes another high-speed scrubbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area