Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you want to see win the Superbowl?
Patriots 25 54.35%
Seahawks 21 45.65%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:33 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,813 times

Advertisements

Not saying it's right but you realize MLB teams "cheat" all the time by leaving infield grass longer for teams that bunt, putting extra dirt near 1st and 2nd base for teams that love to steal to slow their jump, limiting dirt down the lines to allow bunted balls to have a better chance to roll foul, increasing the wetness of the infield to slow down speed teams. It happens ALL the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 08:14 AM

233 posts, read 258,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's not like the Cardinals don't have mostly bandwagon fans. I think that is true of any city where the population growth is from somewhere else. Nevertheless, the Seahawks are division rivals and they do not deserve our support whether they, or we, are bandwagon fans or not (especially in our house). I hope they are humbled by NE. There are few teams that need to be humbled more.
True, all teams do. They just shove it down your throat. A lot of people like the Seahawks just for their colors and uniforms.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:12 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Not saying it's right but you realize MLB teams "cheat" all the time by leaving infield grass longer for teams that bunt, putting extra dirt near 1st and 2nd base for teams that love to steal to slow their jump, limiting dirt down the lines to allow bunted balls to have a better chance to roll foul, increasing the wetness of the infield to slow down speed teams. It happens ALL the time.
First, that is not cheating. There are no rules regulating the length of the grass or the amount of dirt. One of the cool things about baseball is that each stadium is unique with differences like the green monster in Boston and Tal's Hill in Houston. More importantly though, both teams play on the same field under the same conditions. When the Rockies put the baseballs in the humidor, both teams use the balls.

This inflation deal, if true, only impacts the team doing the deflating. The easy solution to that is simply to end the bizarre practice of allowing the teams to supply their own footballs.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Once a cheater always a cheater. I don't think that the Patricheaters are being very Patriotic in how they have been playing the game. I am a Seahawks fan but that is because of Pete Carroll. I have been following the team since he left USC.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:43 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
So the New England Cheaters got caught again! It's sad that Bellacheat has to resort to these tactics.

Report: Patriots used 11 under-inflated footballs | Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com
Well - according to a friend of mine, Jim Tunney, who is a well known Retired Pro Ref:

First and foremost, the NFL controls the footballs. Before each game, the game
officials inspect every ball and then give them to the ball boys on the sideline.
Each team has its own set. There are minimal and maximal pressures for each
ball. Yes, the kicking balls are of the minimal pressure, but at the approved
pressure. Oh yes, the game has changed since you had only ONE ball on your
playground. Best, Jim

JIM TUNNEY ASSOCIATES
Pebble Beach, Ca. 93953

http://www.JimTunney.com / www.tunneysideofsports.com

Oh - and I was hoping for the Packers to go to the Superbowl. That 14 second turnaround was a bummer.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:09 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Well - according to a friend of mine, Jim Tunney, who is a well known Retired Pro Ref:

First and foremost, the NFL controls the footballs. Before each game, the game
officials inspect every ball and then give them to the ball boys on the sideline.
Each team has its own set. There are minimal and maximal pressures for each
ball. Yes, the kicking balls are of the minimal pressure, but at the approved
pressure. Oh yes, the game has changed since you had only ONE ball on your
playground. Best, Jim

JIM TUNNEY ASSOCIATES
Pebble Beach, Ca. 93953

http://www.JimTunney.com / www.tunneysideofsports.com

Oh - and I was hoping for the Packers to go to the Superbowl. That 14 second turnaround was a bummer.
Brady said he gets to inspect all the balls and pick the ones he wants - ones that have been properly prepared for him by the eqp mgr. Apparently that means underinflated though he knows nothing about that, of course. So it looks like they will blame this on the equipment manager and make him/her walk the plank. Figures. Pats are scum, probably not as low as Pete Carroll, Lynch, and Sherman, but bottom feeders nonetheless. Could two sorrier teams have been in the Super Bowl? They are a disgrace to our stadium.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:14 PM

518 posts, read 872,234 times
Still bummed the Packers blew it against the Hawks. Unbelievable. A Green Bay and New England Super Bowl would have been epic. As I like the Packers and Aaron Rodgers. No affiliation with Wisconsin/the midwest (never even been to the midwest) but they are just a class act franchise with good (not cocky/annoying) fans.

I'm indifferent right now on who I want to win the Super Bowl.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:47 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I'd probably say Patriots since the Seahawks are an NFC West rival. Then again maybe we should root for our own division. Hmm, I think I just flip flopped.
I think it makes our home team look better if their conference rival wins it all and seems invincible. Also, how many Super Bowl rings does Tom Terrific need? He'll never make as much money as his wife has, no matter what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
money has no team allegiance as host city
That was my first reaction to the question posed by the OP. MONEY. That's what the host city roots for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
You really think 2psi makes a difference? They checked them before the game...the temperature on the field dropped during the game...and how many times were those balls spiked, fell on, etc during the game? Don't you think with as many times as a ref handles a ball they would have noticed an under-inflated one?

This is beyond ridiculous ...
The ESPN radio station in Tucson consulted a physicist from the U of A yesterday. He said the amount of air in a football was not enough to be altered by a colder outside temperature (providing us with the way one would measure that, which I can't claim to have understood). Also, since you posted this, many other quarterbacks have spoken up to say there is an advantage to someone with hands as small as Brady's to have a partially deflated ball. As for the spiking, etc., some of the deflated balls weren't even used in the game, so that's negated as an excuse. And many refs have spoken up to say some version of, "No, we don't notice things like that, it's only something a quarterback would pay attention to." Not to mention, today Belichick essentially threw Tom "Ha, ha, ha, I never heard anything so silly" Brady under the bus for this.

Whether or not you think this issue is important as far as winning or losing goes, there is a required psi for a football and not adhering to that rule is CHEATING. If a team in any sport is allowed to cheat, why even have rules?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area