Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 06:34 PM

114 posts, read 241,443 times

Advertisements

It's no secret why light rail didn't get built within the city of Scottsdale, mainly to keep undesirable out. Nonetheless it is an integral part of the metro area, being a large center, for dining, retail, nightlife, and entertainment in the Valley. Will there ever be a light rail line in south Scottsdale along Scottsdale Ave into Old Town, or even along the 101 for commuters? Perhaps for some, it might be nice to go out for an evening in Old Town, have a few drinks and ride the rails back to wherever else they need to go (downtown/Tempe/airport etc..) without having to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 07:53 PM

770 posts, read 837,813 times
I don't see a full light rail down Scottsdale Rd but I can see them doing a street car similar to what Tempe is doing that connects between the light rail stop on Rural to Old Town.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:11 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
I always thought a light rail extension on east Camelback into downtown Scottsdale would be a great option, but I guess that's not going to happen ... unless it could still run on Camelback and connect with a streetcar line as TempeAZNative suggested. I'm not sure if Scottsdale balked against light rail to keep the undesirables out. If they really wanted to keep out the riff raff (which would be nearly impossible), they would have refused city buses as well ... so it's really more of a cost factor I believe. Light rail is very expensive, and not really needed in all areas.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:11 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
I would think a light rail route from Chandler Fashion Center all the way north to Frank Lloyd Wright via Rural/Scottsdale Road would have ridership potential; the Brown Line in my dream light rail system would serve that route. However, it is unlikely that Scottsdale residents will change their stance on light rail, since as stated they don't want the undesirables in their city.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:27 PM

975 posts, read 1,405,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I always thought a light rail extension on east Camelback into downtown Scottsdale would be a great option, but I guess that's not going to happen ... unless it could still run on Camelback and connect with a streetcar line as TempeAZNative suggested. I'm not sure if Scottsdale balked against light rail to keep the undesirables out. If they really wanted to keep out the riff raff (which would be nearly impossible), they would have refused city buses as well ... so it's really more of a cost factor I believe. Light rail is very expensive, and not really needed in all areas.
A perfect line would actually go between Camelback / Central and Rural / Mill via Camelback, Scottsdale Rd, and Rural.

This would connect the Biltmore area, Downtown Scottsdale, and Downtown Tempe / ASU. Plus, there is already higher density development along this corridor. I highly doubt that light rail would be an effective expenditure north of Old Town.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:25 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
It had nothing to do with the "undesirables". Light rail is a very cost-inefficient way of moving people around - about the worst way imaginable from that perspective. It is done by cities like Phoenix for image reasons or in hopes of revitalizing decaying areas. Scottsdale does not need to burnish its brand and any economic benefits in restoring blighted areas are rather limited in Scottsdale as well.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It had nothing to do with the "undesirables". Light rail is a very cost-inefficient way of moving people around - about the worst way imaginable from that perspective. It is done by cities like Phoenix for image reasons or in hopes of revitalizing decaying areas. Scottsdale does not need to burnish its brand and any economic benefits in restoring blighted areas are rather limited in Scottsdale as well.
I agree. The problem is it's astronomical to construct a "heavy" rail metro / subway system, so cities are all going either the "light rail" or even the smaller "streetcar" route.

What the metro area could use (although it wouldn't serve Scottsdale as there are no railroad lines in the city) is a decent commuter rail system using the existing railroad infrastructure.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:19 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
What the metro area could use (although it wouldn't serve Scottsdale as there are no railroad lines in the city) is a decent commuter rail system using the existing railroad infrastructure.
Existing railroad infrastructure may not be the best routes from a ridership perspective, which is why I favor light rail over commuter rail, since potential ridership is probably much higher due to the flexibility of routes. Commuter rail really only works for longer distance routes.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:21 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,773 times
No. Scottsdale has said that it is not interested. Unlike many of the areas where light rail traverse, Scottsdale Road is not full of blight or in need of special investment that officials hope light rail will bring. Most everyone who has business on Scottsdale Road has a car or can rely on the bus. It's just the truth. It would be more cost effective to increase service for a circulator bus between Old Town and Downtown Tempe.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
No. Scottsdale has said that it is not interested. Unlike many of the areas where light rail traverse, Scottsdale Road is not full of blight or in need of special investment that officials hope light rail will bring. Most everyone who has business on Scottsdale Road has a car or can rely on the bus. It's just the truth. It would be more cost effective to increase service for a circulator bus between Old Town and Downtown Tempe.
There essentially was a circulator bus between Downtown Scottsdale and Downtown Tempe. It was route 66 and it ran every 30 minutes during the daytime hours. It was cut in 2010 due to the recession.

There is also the 72 that runs fairly frequently (every 20 minutes weekdays and 30 minutes Saturdays although on Sundays it's every 60 minutes) between the two cities' downtowns.

The problem is that buses don't tend to take people out of cars. Light rail and/or streetcars do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area