Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 04:17 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Nothing against hockey, it's just that historically Arizona has not been a hockey environment and most folks don't follow the game down here.
You obviously weren't living here when the WHL Phoenix Roadrunners were the hottest thing in town.

And, as others have said, Anaheim/LA and Tampa Bay aren't exactly traditional hockey environments, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 04:26 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
Where the fun begins is if Glendale has the brass to hire counsel that's willing to go for the throat and force IceArizona to open their books during discovery in the Coyotes countersuit.
That's when we can break out the popcorn and watch the fur fly.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:05 PM

11 posts, read 11,028 times
Also with Las Vegas getting a expansion team when there new arena is finished, New Interstate 11 connecting
Phoenix & Las Vegas is coming, Both Cities are bouncing back strong from the recession and with Phoenix adding
over 100,000 people every year Also With New South Mountain Freeway starting construction next year it will be a lot quicker to get to Glendale for the East Valley /Pinal County people were over 2 million live and that's if they stay in Glendale and not go to Phoenix, The Coyotes have been told by the NHL they are never going to let the team leave Arizona

Old 06-14-2015, 07:47 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Where the fun begins is if Glendale has the brass to hire counsel that's willing to go for the throat and force IceArizona to open their books during discovery in the Coyotes countersuit.
That's when we can break out the popcorn and watch the fur fly.
+1

If you're going to ask for $200 million dollars in damages, you need to show some proof.

No way the Coyotes were netting $40 mil a year, and the only thing worse than that would be if they *were* netting $40 mil a year, with $15 mil coming from the taxpayers.

The Coyotes are talking some serious trash in the press, which I think is good. The voters in the next town they try to work over will have some some honest talking points to mull over while they're voting themselves into a tax increase.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:12 PM

11 posts, read 11,028 times
I hope the Coyotes tell Glendale to go to hell and they play there games
in Talking Stick Resort Arena (X American Airways Center) I will buy season tickets if the do
and several of my friends, coworkers & neighbors said the same thing , most of us are from the northeast
& Midwest, Glendale is just too far coming from Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, Santan Valley, AJ,
And hopefully 3 or 4 years the new arena will be completed

Old 06-14-2015, 08:16 PM

498 posts, read 543,174 times
Should have cranked up the voltage,

Mayor Jerry Weiers 'OK' after being tased by Coyotes fan

Old 06-14-2015, 08:21 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
I personally think that should the Coyotes be forced to move out of Glendale, the best place for them would be somewhere in the East Valley, most likely either Mesa or Chandler. Tempe could work as well, but Tempe is landlocked and I don't know where in the city could an arena be built.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer2020 View Post
I hope the Coyotes tell Glendale to go to hell and they play there games
in Talking Stick Resort Arena (X American Airways Center) I will buy season tickets if the do
and several of my friends, coworkers & neighbors said the same thing , most of us are from the northeast
& Midwest, Glendale is just too far coming from Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, Santan Valley, AJ,
And hopefully 3 or 4 years the new arena will be completed
The present arena would only be a stopgap, as it was not built for hockey. You make funding for a new arena sound like it's going to fall from the sky.... it's not. There's a lot that would have to be sorted out, no matter where a new arena might be built. Downtown would be ideal, but difficult financially. I'm sure it would benefit attendance to be downtown. Whether it would be enough remains to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I personally think that should the Coyotes be forced to move out of Glendale, the best place for them would be somewhere in the East Valley, most likely either Mesa or Chandler. Tempe could work as well, but Tempe is landlocked and I don't know where in the city could an arena be built.
Forced to move out of Glendale by whom????

You, too, are acting like money for yet another arena grows on trees. If another arena is going to be built, it's not likely to be just for the hockey team. The Suns aren't moving to Mesa or Chandler, and a multiteam arena surely isn't getting built in Tempe either.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:34 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
+1

If you're going to ask for $200 million dollars in damages, you need to show some proof.

No way the Coyotes were netting $40 mil a year, and the only thing worse than that would be if they *were* netting $40 mil a year, with $15 mil coming from the taxpayers.

The Coyotes are talking some serious trash in the press, which I think is good. The voters in the next town they try to work over will have some some honest talking points to mull over while they're voting themselves into a tax increase.
The larger point being, IceArizona would put the club in a dumpster, pour gasoline on it and set it on fire before they'd open up the books. Well that, or as you correctly point out, high tail it out of town Baltimore Colts Style and find another mark... errr... sports minded municipality to put the grift on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the Coyotes per se or making fun of Glendale. Frankly I appreciate the city learning the first lesson of playing poker: If you haven't figured out in the first twenty minutes of the game who the chump is... then it's probably you!

Old 06-15-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer2020 View Post
Also with Las Vegas getting a expansion team when there new arena is finished, New Interstate 11 connecting
Phoenix & Las Vegas is coming, Both Cities are bouncing back strong from the recession and with Phoenix adding
over 100,000 people every year Also With New South Mountain Freeway starting construction next year it will be a lot quicker to get to Glendale for the East Valley /Pinal County people were over 2 million live and that's if they stay in Glendale and not go to Phoenix, The Coyotes have been told by the NHL they are never going to let the team leave Arizona

When did you become such an expert on things where you don't live? Las Vegas and Interstate 11 are irrelevant to this discussion. It will be years before the SMF is built. Assuming that the court holds Glendale to their contract, it will not be done before the 5 year out clause applicable to both parties kicks in, and my bet will be that one or the other will invoke it. Once that happens, if someone comes along with the $$$ to take the team elsewhere and pay the relocation fees, etc., the NHL will let the franchise leave. They will have had enough of Glendale/Phoenix by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area