Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:43 AM

639 posts, read 972,091 times

Advertisements

I typically will book Southwest over just about anyone unless the fare plus the baggage comes out less expensive on another carrier or if I HAVE to be somewhere at a certain time of day and scheduling doesn't work. Otherwise, most of my traveling (usually 8-10 roundtrips a year) is Southwest. I'd try them. But like they said above - it is WAY too early to be booking flights for winter travel. Prices will go down between now and then - check about 10 weeks out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 11:58 AM

445 posts, read 515,814 times
I take Southwest for work all the time. I'm not a big fan of the way they handle boarding and seat assignments (or lack thereof), but everything else always amounts to a good experience. As someone else said, I've almost never had delays...definitely way less often than other airlines.

And for the record since it came up, Midway is by far my preferred airport to fly into Chicago, and I fly Southwest whenever I go back as long as the flights fit my schedule. I understand it may not be located conveniently if you're traveling to the north burbs, but O'Hare is a colossal pain in the ass.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:59 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I'm not a big fan of Southwest either, not being fond of festival seating, but the comparison to Spirit is way off base. One big advantage of Southwest is the "bags fly free" policy. Spirit is its polar opposite, not only charging for checked bags but also charging for carry-ons. I personally couldn't care less which Chicago airport an airline services as I have no reason to go there.
Well, considering there are only three major airlines at Sky Harbor, you have to choose between the lesser of 3 evils: SWA, US Airways, and Delta. Spirit is awful, so it leaves you with little options. SWA and US Airways compete for the cheapest prices to Chicago, and usually SWA wins, so thats what my family uses, and having to fly only to Midway is a bummer. I wish theyd start flights to O' Hare, that would be absolutely awesome.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:09 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
I remember them telling the FTC that the merger wouldn't affect competitive pricing, but it has quite a bit. Airline pricing is going up and it isn't the fuel this time.

Sad day when the valley lost US Airways

Old 08-13-2015, 02:04 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Well, considering there are only three major airlines at Sky Harbor, you have to choose between the lesser of 3 evils: SWA, US Airways, and Delta. Spirit is awful, so it leaves you with little options. SWA and US Airways compete for the cheapest prices to Chicago, and usually SWA wins, so thats what my family uses, and having to fly only to Midway is a bummer. I wish theyd start flights to O' Hare, that would be absolutely awesome.
What's wrong with United Airlines?

Old 08-13-2015, 03:28 PM

488 posts, read 857,750 times
Quote:
I have been screwed over by them almost every time I've flown with them. I could tell you MANY stories.

Once I got into a fight with the ticket agent, who refused to put me on Standby because, according to her, they only allowed Standby passengers when the plane is completely booked (does this make sense to anyone at all??). I could not get through to her and it got to the point where if I opened my mouth again, I probably would have ended up on the No Fly List.

My personal favourite was the time I bought tickets through United from St. Louis to Pensacola with a layover in Dallas, arriving in FL at 2pm. A very long, angry story later, I ended up flying on US Airways to Mobile, with a layover in Charlotte, arriving in AL at 8 pm. (That was the concession...it was going to be Pensacola at midnight.)

I'll fly American before I fly United, at that's saying a lot.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:40 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
If by "major" you meant airlines that use Phoenix as a hub, Delta doesn't qualify. If you meant passengers and/or fleet, all but one of the ten largest carriers in North America serve Sky Harbor (Aeromexico being the only one). That also excludes British Airways. I don't know why SWA doesn't use O'Hare (though I've heard they don't like the gate constraints there), but it's probably for a similar reason they refuse to relocate to DFW instead of Love Field in Dallas.

That being said, I avoid SWA whenever possible, but only because I don't like the setup. To me it feels like flying Greyhound, and the only way (aside from having children or a disability) to get a decent seat is that you have to hover over your computer to check in 24 hours before the flight. I've done this right on time and almost always got a position ranked 20+, and when I get to the gate, half the plane is already boarded because of the aforementioned travelers getting boarding priority. If it's a short flight, I can deal with it. If it's more than 90 minutes I'll opt for something else. It also seems to attract more families, which is great for them, but I'd rather not fly with a lot of children and babies.

Still, I would take SWA over Frontier, no question. A flight on Frontier could be $100 and a competing flight on SWA could be $300, and I'd go for SWA without thinking twice. In my experience, if there's a delay or any other change, SWA is good about relaying that information. Last year I went to New York on an AA/Frontier ticket. There were a couple changes on the AA end and they let me know before the trip as the changes happened. Frontier made a change by an entire day and didn't bother to inform me until the day before the flight... and that was only because Orbitz sent me a flight reminder. Obviously, I couldn't be re-accommodated and the customer service rep was a real [insert word I can't use on this site].

Old 08-13-2015, 03:45 PM

488 posts, read 857,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Still, I would take SWA over Frontier, no question. A flight on Frontier could be $100 and a competing flight on SWA could be $300, and I'd go for SWA without thinking twice. In my experience, if there's a delay or any other change, SWA is good about relaying that information. Last year I went to New York on an AA/Frontier ticket. There were a couple changes on the AA end and they let me know before the trip as the changes happened. Frontier made a change by an entire day and didn't bother to inform me until the day before the flight... and that was only because Orbitz sent me a flight reminder. Obviously, I couldn't be re-accommodated and the customer service rep was a real [insert word I can't use on this site].
A $100 Frontier flight will end up being $300 anyways. They are the WORST about their price ads versus what they actually charge. They had a $59 to Vegas sale at the beginning of the year. By the time I was done with all the fees (they charge for both checked and carry on luggage, BTW) the ticket was $250. Even if that does end up being cheaper than other airlines, I refuse to reward that type of business practice with my travel dollars.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:48 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
If by "major" you meant airlines that use Phoenix as a hub, Delta doesn't qualify. If you meant passengers and/or fleet, all but one of the ten largest carriers in North America serve Sky Harbor (Aeromexico being the only one). That also excludes British Airways. I don't know why SWA doesn't use O'Hare (though I've heard they don't like the gate constraints there), but it's probably for a similar reason they refuse to relocate to DFW instead of Love Field in Dallas.
Quote:
I believe he is referring to the three largest airlines at PHX. Delta is the third largest airline at PHX in terms of market share, after US Airways (soon to be American) and Southwest. United I think is actually fourth.

However, I am not sure how American ranks at PHX right now, since they have since added some American-branded flights ever since the merger. After the schedules and reservation systems are merged, American will be #1 at PHX. American was actually fifth at PHX prior to the US Airways merger.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:01 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
I don't know why SWA doesn't use O'Hare (though I've heard they don't like the gate constraints there), but it's probably for a similar reason they refuse to relocate to DFW instead of Love Field in Dallas.
Southwest doesn't really need ORD other than having more transportation connections. They serve 2 nearby airports direct from PHX and within a reasonable distance from ORD. While neither is as convenient as O'Hare for some fliers or destinations, they seem to do well with Midway. There is also MKE, which is a good alternative for the northern suburbs of Chicago (around an hour or even quite a bit less for the state line suburbs), but has virtually no road traffic delays in or out, has cheaper parking, has less air traffic problems, shorter security times, shorter walks, etc. Even given the longer drive time, the rest probably evens out.

Other than that, take American or United and fly direct to ORD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area