Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 11:12 AM

127 posts, read 171,543 times

Advertisements

As a prospective transplant, I'm also of the mind that people should generally be doing what they want to do. Beyond an HOA that had it in mind from the outset and everybody bought in knowing what they were buying, I don't see where I should tell my neighbor he can't have a lawn or he should be telling me I have to.

With that said, we're in agreement that we would want to xeriscape. I've seen it ugly, and I've seen it beautiful. I aim to get a lot of color, shade, and still produce some edible fruit, too, while selling the lawnmower along with the snowblower before we move. It will require irrigation and labor to keep it beautiful. Just not mowing.

In fact, "oasis" might be just the right word for what I have in mind: true oases that I've seen pictures of have many tolerant plants thriving around the water source (...my spool...), but rarely lush grasses.

I do recall a graph in the LA Times which argued that lawns had the potential to be bigger sources of evaporative water loss than uncovered pools.

Water agencies are learning pools aren't a big factor during drought - LA Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
an oasis determined to keep the desert in the actual desert, and away from the city itself
Of course, that's a challenging statement when market forces are inexorably pushing "the city" out into "the desert".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 12:46 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Then move to Savannah, GA. Bon voyage.
No I don't have to, I'm free to have grass here.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:04 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Love my grass. Properties in my area that have grass landscaping sell faster and for more money, I have noticed.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:28 PM

299 posts, read 666,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Love my grass. Properties in my area that have grass landscaping sell faster and for more money, I have noticed.
I prefer grass too, and I had a very lush green yard with trees and roses when I lived in Phoenix but it was soooo much upkeep and expense with high water bills, et al. In a way I can understand the desire to convert to natural landscape but it can be more unsightly and hotter than well-kept greenery.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:33 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
I prefer grass too, and I had a very lush green yard with trees and roses when I lived in Phoenix but it was soooo much upkeep and expense with high water bills, et al. In a way I can understand the desire to convert to natural landscape but it can be more unsightly and hotter than well-kept greenery.
When people do desert landscaping, I find they add much more shrubbery to try to soften the landscape a bit (a yard full of 90% grass looks good, 90% gravel looks horrible without plants and shrubs). The cost to maintain those plants are about equal to grass, I pay $45 every 2 weeks and never deal with it.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:01 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
If grass naturally grew in Phoenix, I wouldn't have an argument with nice green lawns. But let's face it, grass isn't made for the desert. So, people have rocks and cactus in their yard, or maybe just natural desert vegetation. A little bit of drip irrigation and you're all set. Easy.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:52 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
I like the look of some desert yards if they are weed-free but they make lousy play areas for children and pets.

They generate heat too.

Imho a house is not a home in the Phoenix area unless it has grass, shadetrees, and a pool, the combination of these three things make the summertime heat much more bearable.

I'm not too concerned about the abundance of water or lack thereof, it seems as though we have enough water for the foreseeable future.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:02 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Let's not fool with mother nature, grass is not a natural commodity here. It upsets the balance with water usage, higher humidity, allergies, non native bugs, non native weeds etal...
But where does one stop? We're not native to the desert either. Should we leave?

Old 11-10-2015, 07:21 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
But where does one stop? We're not native to the desert either. Should we leave?
Usually the answer is, everyone else should leave except for whoever's complaining about it and their friends/family/like-minded people. It's everyone else moving here that's the problem. It really seems to be very adaptable to whenever that person or their progenitors got here. E.g., "I moved here in 2000 and it was fine until the housing boom and now it's out of control and now it's time to address the issue" or "I just got here last year but I'm a conservationist and I have a more modern understanding on this issue, I haven't been fooled by this outdated lush-oasis mythology" or "I'm a native and so anyone who wasn't born here has no right to come in here and use these resources and tell me what to think" etc. etc.

I guess I would just say that I think there is usually a responsible middle path. Ultimately as long as no one is being wasteful there's no point getting too self-righteous about one's own landscaping choices -- that is but a small part of everyone's ecological footprint; a much more salient question for one's overall water use would be whether one consumes meat or not, and thankfully this is not the forum in which to start arguing over that.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:38 AM

498 posts, read 543,583 times
Lawns are a stupid waste of time and money, created by French/English nobility who had nothing but free time on their hands.

The History of Lawns | Organic Lawn Care 101
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area