Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:49 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
We missed one of the most obvious ones. The natives don't know how to drive in rain and slow down as if they are driving on ice. It's really comical. That is one of the easy ways to distinguish the natives from transplants. Here is a typical scenario. It's summer time, it's slightly overcast with a little sunshine. Suddenly, it starts to rain and the native driver in front of me slams their brakes and drops their speed from 65 mph to 50 instantly on the I-10. That is such a Native move. Sorry natives but you guys don't know how to drive in rain LOL

Living in Florida, it's the opposite. People will drive 75 and it rains, and they still drive at the same speeds LOL despite the rain being more aggressive and the roads being more wet. The difference is they are used to it and are not afraid of it.
It actually makes more sense to slow down in the rain in Arizona, where rain is infrequent, than it does in Florida, where it rains a lot, but I get your point.

Rain is more lethal for drivers after a long dry spell, says new study
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 09:59 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
Peter Piper had fairly decent (and cheap) pizza back in the day. But those commercials with Tony were pretty annoying...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ebP6WfmXnY

Old 01-25-2016, 10:19 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
It actually makes more sense to slow down in the rain in Arizona, where rain is infrequent, than it does in Florida, where it rains a lot, but I get your point.

Rain is more lethal for drivers after a long dry spell, says new study
Oil builds up on the roadways after long rainless periods making driving more dangerous when it rains.

Anyone who has lived here for any length should know this but too many people still drive like maniacs no matter what the weather is like.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:55 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
Quote:
We missed one of the most obvious ones. The natives don't know how to drive in rain and slow down as if they are driving on ice. It's really comical. That is one of the easy ways to distinguish the natives from transplants. Here is a typical scenario. It's summer time, it's slightly overcast with a little sunshine. Suddenly, it starts to rain and the native driver in front of me slams their brakes and drops their speed from 65 mph to 50 instantly on the I-10. That is such a Native move. Sorry natives but you guys don't know how to drive in rain LOL

Living in Florida, it's the opposite. People will drive 75 and it rains, and they still drive at the same speeds LOL despite the rain being more aggressive and the roads being more wet. The difference is they are used to it and are not afraid of it.
The difference is our roads get super slick because we go so long between rain that oil and other fluids just build up on the road. Yep you can spot the native they are the ones that drive responsibly.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:39 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
The difference is our roads get super slick because we go so long between rain that oil and other fluids just build up on the road. Yep you can spot the native they are the ones that drive responsibly.
Oh please, give me a break! They are not doing this because they are thinking to themselves: "Oh since our weather is typically dry, any onset of rain makes our roads more slick than a road elswhere in which it raines more frequently."

They are slowing down because they are intimidated of the rain because they are not used to driving in it whereas in cities in which they receive normal rainfall, they certainly slow down to a degree but not to the point the Arizona drivers do. And they certainly do not slam their bakes like the natives do on the freeways which is far more dangerous to other drivers.

The roads are more slick in Florida because it will rain heavily for hours and the amount of water that collects on the roads is heavier and you can actually feel this.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:50 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,079,872 times
Quote:
Oh please, give me a break! They are not doing this because they are thinking to themselves: "Oh since our weather is typically dry, any onset of rain makes our roads more slick than a road elswhere in which it raines more frequently."

They are slowing down because they are intimidated of the rain because they are not used to driving in it whereas in cities in which they receive normal rainfall, they certainly slow down to a degree but not to the point the Arizona drivers do. And they certainly do not slam their bakes like the natives do on the freeways which is far more dangerous to other drivers.

The roads are more slick in Florida because it will rain heavily for hours and the amount of water that collects on the roads is heavier and you can actually feel this.
Yep. I've never noticed a major difference between wet roads here or anywhere else where it rains more frequently. If anything, though, they would be LESS slick here because the roads are in better shape which allows proper drainage of the water, whereas in places in more northern climes they often have poor roads that develop ruts in the common tire tracks that trap a shallow layer of water (not to mention potholes) making it easier to hydroplane.

The combination of natives who haven't driven much in the rain and older snowbirds who can't handle driving in any conditions that are less than ideal (no fault of their own, really, it's just what happens), means you get people who randomly slow down whenever they encounter the wet stuff.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:05 PM

42 posts, read 49,757 times
The way they drive lol

Old 01-26-2016, 02:07 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,601,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Real natives don't ever say that. We've seen so many desert summers and our bodies have grown accustomed to it. I like the hot summers, it keeps more people from moving here with their high-pants easterner foreign ways. As kids, we didn't even wear shoes on the hot asphalt and built up heat-calluses. Heat makes you tough in a way other things can't.

Last summer I was standing outside on a torrid day and marveling that I could feel the radiant heat from a star that was 93 million miles away ripping across my body. Glorious!
I'm one of those people from the north east that moved to AZ...

The most glorious feeling in the world, indeed, is the Arizona sun on your skin (especially on a 110+ degree day).

I think that God made a mistake and I was accidentally born in the north east. I did find my way back home to AZ but I got lost again and ended up 700 miles northwest of Phoenix. I hope to find my way back home again some day.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:09 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,601,343 times
People in Arizona drive very well.
Atlanta, GA is a completely different story. It has the absolute worst drivers in the country hands down... they are worse than NYC cabbies.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:45 PM

924 posts, read 752,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
I'm one of those people from the north east that moved to AZ...

The most glorious feeling in the world, indeed, is the Arizona sun on your skin (especially on a 110+ degree day).
That's cool that you feel that way.....to me, the Arizona sun (when it gets over a certain temp), is like fire. But I'll admit to having become more heat-intolerant over the years.....always interesting to hear from people who do like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area