Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:42 PM

299 posts, read 443,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix602 View Post
The whole reason I came out here was because I couldn't take another winter in Niagara Falls. You spend from November - April inside because the roads/sidewalks are too slippery and aren't cleared; there's nowhere good to walk outside to and with the snow or -20 windchill you don't want to go anyplace. So for almost half the year your only exposure to the outdoors is go outside - go to work - maybe go to the 'Y' after work - go home. Over and over again, week after week, month after month. You feel like you're in jail and let out for work release for a few hours a day or something.

Now that I'm here - I knew about the heat of course and the one time I visited, I visited the last week of May/first week of June, and I didn't mind it. At least I can walk or hike outside (I'm up at 4-5am anyway) without worrying about rain or slippery sidewalks or anything. I live downtown, and now that it's getting a little lighter out at night, where's a good place to walk to or hiking paths near me? Is it 'safe' to walk around the city leisurely at night (I haven't ventured out through the neighbourhoods outside downtown yet)? Now that I'm here I want to enjoy this goldmine of weather that I've been waiting for. I have never been in weather that is 115 before, but I've spent plenty of summers in 80% humidity/85 degrees with no air conditioning (not a lot of places in the Falls or Buffalo have it) so I think I've been through the worst.
I actually go to school and work in Downtown Phoenix, but I live in Gilbert (****ty commute, I know! lol). Just from observation, Downtown is quite a bit "sketchier" than Gilbert, per say. Then again, Gilbert is one of the safest cities in the U.S. There's a lot more homelessness towards DT Phoenix, but it's no Oakland and trust me, I know Oakland!

I would say it's GENERALLY safe to walk around, but as a woman... I wouldn't really want to be walking around parts of DT Phoenix at night without someone with me. It's also not a very well-lit city, as the Downtown is pretty small.

As a grad student attending ASU Downtown, my night classes always walk back in a group-- just in case. That being said... I HAVE sometimes walked around alone and nothing has ever happened to me.

I would check out the Roosevelt district and "First Friday's" specifically. I really liked Roosevelt, having come from San Francisco. It's a pretty cool artsy-vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix602 View Post
The whole reason I came out here was because I couldn't take another winter in Niagara Falls. You spend from November - April inside because the roads/sidewalks are too slippery and aren't cleared; there's nowhere good to walk outside to and with the snow or -20 windchill you don't want to go anyplace. So for almost half the year your only exposure to the outdoors is go outside - go to work - maybe go to the 'Y' after work - go home. Over and over again, week after week, month after month. You feel like you're in jail and let out for work release for a few hours a day or something.

Now that I'm here - I knew about the heat of course and the one time I visited, I visited the last week of May/first week of June, and I didn't mind it. At least I can walk or hike outside (I'm up at 4-5am anyway) without worrying about rain or slippery sidewalks or anything. I live downtown, and now that it's getting a little lighter out at night, where's a good place to walk to or hiking paths near me? Is it 'safe' to walk around the city leisurely at night (I haven't ventured out through the neighbourhoods outside downtown yet)? Now that I'm here I want to enjoy this goldmine of weather that I've been waiting for. I have never been in weather that is 115 before, but I've spent plenty of summers in 80% humidity/85 degrees with no air conditioning (not a lot of places in the Falls or Buffalo have it) so I think I've been through the worst.
How are you liking Phoenix as a city overall? I'm interested to know, comparing it to NYC. I like Phoenix, but I wish the Downtown was a bit more centralized. There's no real sky-line/ or "center" where people gather. I think Scottsdale has that vibe and is more walkable.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
Does anyone here have experience with Florida heat? I lived in Tampa 2 years and didn't find the heat unbearable, but Tampa is humid heat where the temperature rarely goes above 90, a far cry from the scorching, dry southwestern heat.

I'm planning to move to Phoenix in a month and the heat is giving me trepidation
I've never been to Florida, but I've been to Texas (humid as well). I think BOTH heats are VERY uncomfortable to deal with, but luckily we live in a society that makes it easy to deal with. Water parks, indoor malls... etc. The nice thing about Phoenix is easy access to cooler climates (Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott, etc).

People do seem a LOT crankier in the summer though! :P I don't blame them

Old 01-26-2016, 11:01 PM

33 posts, read 109,407 times
What's the average monthly electric bill with the AC running nonstop? 3,500 square foot house?

Old 01-27-2016, 12:19 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,167,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane09 View Post
What's the average monthly electric bill with the AC running nonstop? 3,500 square foot house?
Same size house, 2 AC units, thermostat set at 77 and it runs high 300's.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:41 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,010,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane09 View Post
My in-laws have a 4K sq ft home in Scottsdale, and they've said their bill is right around $400 a month during peak summer heat. Its gone as high as $700.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:28 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,523,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
How are you liking Phoenix as a city overall? I'm interested to know, comparing it to NYC. I like Phoenix, but I wish the Downtown was a bit more centralized. There's no real sky-line/ or "center" where people gather. I think Scottsdale has that vibe and is more walkable.
What kind of skyline does Scottsdale have?

It's mostly overpriced shops, bars, nightclubs, and restaurants where the plastic millionaires roam but not much of a workplace center.

It has more nightlife activity compared to central Phoenix though.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:09 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,167,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
My in-laws have a 4K sq ft home in Scottsdale, and they've said their bill is right around $400 a month during peak summer heat. Its gone as high as $700.
My goodness that's horrible.

The good thing is, in the winter I never turn on the heater as I love the cold so we tend to save a lot of money this time of year.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:09 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,742,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
The good thing is, in the winter I never turn on the heater as I love the cold so we tend to save a lot of money this time of year.
That might be a practical cost-saving measure for someone who has just moved to the Valley from the Midwest or Northeast and has a high tolerance for cold, but after a few years, the blood of most transplants from colder areas of the country will "thin out," leading to a much lower tolerance for cold.

That's not to mention that the Phoenix area can and does get quite cold in the wintertime. It's certainly not cold in the same respect as Chicago or Detroit, but there are plenty of evenings, early mornings and even many afternoons when a jacket or sweatshirt in addition to long pants are required. From about mid-November to mid-March, the second the sun goes down, the temperature drops about 15-20 degrees. It even snows on rare occasions in the outlying areas and higher elevations of the Valley.

Point is, most people will be heating their homes in the wintertime in addition to running their A/C around the clock for approximately five months straight. And since most homes in the Valley are not insulated well for cold weather and have forced hot air as heating systems, heating is expensive and of little effectiveness.

It's a common misconception, especially among people in the eastern half of the country, that Phoenix has warm, balmy winters like much of Florida when that couldn't be further from the truth. Even though Phoenix has a hot desert climate, it's still located within the temperate zone, so winters, although mild, certainly aren't "warm" by any stretch of the imagination.

I always said to myself and others that if I'm this hot and for this long in the summertime (roughly early May to early October), then I shouldn't have to wear a jacket or sweatshirt or run the heat in the wintertime. YMMV.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:42 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,416,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
That might be a practical cost-saving measure for someone who has just moved to the Valley from the Midwest or Northeast and has a high tolerance for cold, but after a few years, the blood of most transplants from colder areas of the country will "thin out," leading to a much lower tolerance for cold.
That's an old wives tale, which brings up the question is climate acclimation a psychological process or is there a physiological component to it as well? The blood viscosity, the technical term for the thickness, doesn’t change from warm to cold climates or vice versa, but it does change with changing elevations because high altitude can thicken your blood. How cold/hot a person feels is highly individual, and has nothing to do with blood coagulation.

Blood is part of the body's thermoregulation system, where in cold weather, surface capillaries get smaller, pushing warm blood deeper into the body to help keep it toasty. In warm weather, more blood fills those capillaries so heat can escape through the skin. So if your vascular system gets used to year-round warmth, and then in January you board a plane to upper Minnesota, it'll take time for your blood delivery system to readjust. For a while, you'll feel like the cold you left behind is colder than you remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area