Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 04:37 PM

299 posts, read 440,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I've never been to Houston, so I can't speak to the summer weather there, but I will have you know that, despite being rainier and more humid, summers in Florida are a lot easier to deal with than summers in Phoenix, hands down.

In all of Florida, there are frequent "breaks," if you will, from the heat and humidity in the form of cloud cover, daily afternoon thunderstorms, days of rain due to passing "systems," large and more abundant shade trades, trade winds and sea breezes, more options for water recreation, etc.

Also, summer is shorter in Florida, too - maybe three months, tops, of intense heat and humidity. Of course, "intense" is relative, but temps over 93 degrees, even in the height of summer, are rare in most of the Florida metro areas.

In Phoenix, there are few, if any, similar "breaks" from the intense, oven-like heat that plagues the Valley from early May to early October.

The summertime sun in Phoenix is incredibly intense and relentless, especially from mid-May to early July, and I'm saying this as a somewhat swarthy person of primarily southern Italian heritage (i.e., darker than most white people in Phoenix).

The sun in Phoenix creates inferno-like conditions, where anything and everything left outside in direct sunlight during the summertime will burn, crack, melt, etc. FWIW, you don't burn your hands on car doors or steering wheels in Florida, and there's a lot less in the way of covered parking there.

Then, once monsoon season begins around early-to-mid July, heat indices are off-the-charts for the rest of the summer due to the combination of extremely high temperatures and relative humidity levels. So much for a dry heat!

After moving to Arizona, I quickly learned that's one thing natives and long-time residents don't really let on - just how long monsoon season and the accompanying high humidity, at least for a desert area, can last (usually about 2-2.5 months). I don't know about you, but early July to mid-September is *MOST* of the summer to me.
I agree, it's awful! I do like Phoenix in general, but the summers are just TOO long and TOO hot, which is a big reason why I am leaving after I obtain my masters degree. ASU has been great, but I am from the Bay Area and I have found that I like cooler weathers/ temps. Some have "seasonal affective disorder" and move here to get more sun... but I find the heat here oppressive AND depressing! You can't enjoy the sunshine because you'll FRY!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I can take summer until July 4th then it's humid and lot of the days it's very high humidity. Most of the heat lovers are transplants from the rust belt states like Michigan. I want to move somewhere that it never gets hotter then 80.
Me too!!!!!!

I still have 2 years left here, though... I'm hoping I can take a lot of weekend trips in the summer. I'm an outdoor kind-of-person and the summers here are just depressing. Everyone says "stay-inside" but I hate doing that!!! -.-

Old 01-30-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
How rough are night rides?
I don't really ride bicycles and I know this comment wasn't directed towards me, but I do see people riding EARLY morning and around 8-7pm at night. Between 8-7pm it's still pretty freaking HOT outside in the summer.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:35 PM

13,300 posts, read 7,334,621 times
If you are outdoor person I suggest getting out of here in the summer as much as you can at least N-AZ is only a few hours away, but still have to come back here. I have been here 25 years, and last year I dropped about 35 lbs I can say that did help with the heat being over weight made it more difficult to deal with the heat. I love cold weather last week went snowboarding 35F was almost too warm for me in the sun. I do everything at night because I can't take the intense sun you end up like a lizard which stays under a rock until the sun goes down. Last year monsoon wasn't that great 2014 we had a few intense days but my wife says when she was in her teens 1970's that it rained weekly in monsoon season where now it's just humid but never rains. I think we are in for less rain and more heat here in AZ.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:43 PM

314 posts, read 547,753 times
Personally I play hockey and being on a cold rink will definitely be a welcome relief during the summer months. I'm also black American, so perhaps the melanin will help dissipate heat.

Grasping at straws here

Old 01-30-2016, 06:14 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,725,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
I agree, it's awful! I do like Phoenix in general, but the summers are just TOO long and TOO hot, which is a big reason why I am leaving after I obtain my masters degree. ASU has been great, but I am from the Bay Area and I have found that I like cooler weathers/ temps. Some have "seasonal affective disorder" and move here to get more sun... but I find the heat here oppressive AND depressing! You can't enjoy the sunshine because you'll FRY!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
Me too!!!!!!

I still have 2 years left here, though... I'm hoping I can take a lot of weekend trips in the summer. I'm an outdoor kind-of-person and the summers here are just depressing. Everyone says "stay-inside" but I hate doing that!!! -.-
People who suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in very cold, dark northern climes typically don't do appreciably better in very hot, sunny desert climes such as Phoenix, either. Often, you're trading 5-6 months of being cooped up indoors due to extreme cold, snow, ice, darkness, etc. for an inverse of 5-6 months of being cooped up indoors due to extreme heat, intense sunlight, etc. Not worth it, IMO.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:54 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,071,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
How rough are night rides?
In mid-summer it stays warm well into the evening. Of course, not being hit by direct sunlight helps a lot. But the air temps can be in the high 90s or even 100 until 9 or 10 pm.

I didn't mind it, honestly, but always took a shower after the ride home.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:31 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,160,919 times
The heat depresses me, I come alive when it's cold, dark and rainy.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:40 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,971,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
The heat depresses me, I come alive when it's cold, dark and rainy.
Youre probably loving today's crap weather then, huh?

Old 02-01-2016, 03:50 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,648,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
People who suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in very cold, dark northern climes typically don't do appreciably better in very hot, sunny desert climes such as Phoenix, either. Often, you're trading 5-6 months of being cooped up indoors due to extreme cold, snow, ice, darkness, etc. for an inverse of 5-6 months of being cooped up indoors due to extreme heat, intense sunlight, etc. Not worth it, IMO.
I suffered from SAD after living in the Pacific Northwest for 25 years. I moved here 5 years ago and I'm thriving. I am still absolutely thrilled to be here so I'll have to dispute your theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area