Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 02:46 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,519,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
I've never been to Florida, but I've been to Texas (humid as well). I think BOTH heats are VERY uncomfortable to deal with, but luckily we live in a society that makes it easy to deal with. Water parks, indoor malls... etc. The nice thing about Phoenix is easy access to cooler climates (Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott, etc).

People do seem a LOT crankier in the summer though! :P I don't blame them

Try the multiquote feature to respond to multiple posts in a single post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 03:14 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,634,440 times
Evening classes and a spray bottle.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:29 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,733,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
I've never been to Florida, but I've been to Texas (humid as well). I think BOTH heats are VERY uncomfortable to deal with, but luckily we live in a society that makes it easy to deal with. Water parks, indoor malls... etc. The nice thing about Phoenix is easy access to cooler climates (Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott, etc).

People do seem a LOT crankier in the summer though! :P I don't blame them
I've never been to Houston, so I can't speak to the summer weather there, but I will have you know that, despite being rainier and more humid, summers in Florida are a lot easier to deal with than summers in Phoenix, hands down.

In all of Florida, there are frequent "breaks," if you will, from the heat and humidity in the form of cloud cover, daily afternoon thunderstorms, days of rain due to passing "systems," large and more abundant shade trades, trade winds and sea breezes, more options for water recreation, etc.

Also, summer is shorter in Florida, too - maybe three months, tops, of intense heat and humidity. Of course, "intense" is relative, but temps over 93 degrees, even in the height of summer, are rare in most of the Florida metro areas.

In Phoenix, there are few, if any, similar "breaks" from the intense, oven-like heat that plagues the Valley from early May to early October.

The summertime sun in Phoenix is incredibly intense and relentless, especially from mid-May to early July, and I'm saying this as a somewhat swarthy person of primarily southern Italian heritage (i.e., darker than most white people in Phoenix).

The sun in Phoenix creates inferno-like conditions, where anything and everything left outside in direct sunlight during the summertime will burn, crack, melt, etc. FWIW, you don't burn your hands on car doors or steering wheels in Florida, and there's a lot less in the way of covered parking there.

Then, once monsoon season begins around early-to-mid July, heat indices are off-the-charts for the rest of the summer due to the combination of extremely high temperatures and relative humidity levels. So much for a dry heat!

After moving to Arizona, I quickly learned that's one thing natives and long-time residents don't really let on - just how long monsoon season and the accompanying high humidity, at least for a desert area, can last (usually about 2-2.5 months). I don't know about you, but early July to mid-September is *MOST* of the summer to me.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:52 PM

314 posts, read 549,202 times
Thanks for the detailed reply, although unfortunately it confirmed my fears. I'm a cyclist and am not looking forward to the 10 mile round trip during the summer months. Although one saving grace may be that I'll be living and working in Scottsdale which according to climate data has cooler nights than Phoenix (I'm assuming due to there being less concrete to trap during the day in the suburban city), and I lead a mostly nocturnal lifestyle.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:01 PM

13,447 posts, read 7,446,133 times
I can take summer until July 4th then it's humid and lot of the days it's very high humidity. Most of the heat lovers are transplants from the rust belt states like Michigan. I want to move somewhere that it never gets hotter then 80.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:25 AM

7,220 posts, read 9,296,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply, although unfortunately it confirmed my fears. I'm a cyclist and am not looking forward to the 10 mile round trip during the summer months. Although one saving grace may be that I'll be living and working in Scottsdale which according to climate data has cooler nights than Phoenix (I'm assuming due to there being less concrete to trap during the day in the suburban city), and I lead a mostly nocturnal lifestyle.

I bicycle commute about 10mi RT most days myself. I won't kid you summers are hot. But you can acclimate. You will be sweat soaked when you get to work. So be prepared, spare clothes, towel, etc.

But think about it. We're talking about 5mi each way. Say 20-25min. Stay hydrated thru the day. You'll be fine.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:46 AM

6,797 posts, read 5,113,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
I used to bike commute, when I lived just a few miles from work.

In the mornings I would take it easy on the way in, to not be dripping with sweat. I could get by just wiping down with a washcloth and changing clothes. After the ride home at night a shower is definitely in order. If there's a handy bus route you can use that to break up part of the ride on the hottest days.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:57 PM

314 posts, read 549,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I used to bike commute, when I lived just a few miles from work.

In the mornings I would take it easy on the way in, to not be dripping with sweat. I could get by just wiping down with a washcloth and changing clothes. After the ride home at night a shower is definitely in order. If there's a handy bus route you can use that to break up part of the ride on the hottest days.
How rough are night rides?

Old 01-30-2016, 04:33 PM

299 posts, read 442,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
What kind of skyline does Scottsdale have?

It's mostly overpriced shops, bars, nightclubs, and restaurants where the plastic millionaires roam but not much of a workplace center.

It has more nightlife activity compared to central Phoenix though.
Sorry if that was confusing. I wasn't implying Scottsdale had a sky-line...

I was just basically saying that Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the world, and for such a large city-- it doesn't really have a "downtown" just a few big buildings. Phoenix in general doesn't really have a "central", walkable Downtown where people gather, unlike Portland, Seattle, Denver, etc.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:35 PM

299 posts, read 442,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppysead View Post
evening classes and a spray bottle.
yup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area