Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 01:32 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Bell Road at Grand will not be closed but will have restricted lanes in all directions. Instead of 3 lanes there will at times be only one or 2 open travel lanes.
The congestion will be horrible. This AM on Bell Rd from Sun City West to 59th Ave was nearly bumper to bumper all the way. Grand had similar heavy traffic.
Arrowhead Shopping Center and it's area retailers are a major destination for the shoppers from the Sun Cities.

I would suggest finding a rental agent and tell them your needs and price range. There are plenty of nice places around 59th/Bell Rd.
From now to April there will be restricted lanes. But Bell Road will be closed for 8 months starting in April. Grand will be open. I don't think our HOA would send us some false information. They have nothing to gain with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 03:14 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
From now to April there will be restricted lanes. But Bell Road will be closed for 8 months starting in April. Grand will be open. I don't think our HOA would send us some false information. They have nothing to gain with it.
This is the information we received: Bell Road to remain open during overpass construction - Your West Valley News: Surprise

The design for the Bell Road overpass in Surprise has been finalized and ADOT officials said Bell Road and Grand Avenue will not be closed to traffic during construction. In addition, businesses along the roads will not be impacted.

“The city of Surprise is very adamant about keeping this intersection open because this is the lifeline of the city from east to west. And also the lifeline for the residents to get into the businesses and do their shopping,” said Owen Mills, project manager with the Arizona Department of Transportation.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:37 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
This is the information we received: Bell Road to remain open during overpass construction - Your West Valley News: Surprise

The design for the Bell Road overpass in Surprise has been finalized and ADOT officials said Bell Road and Grand Avenue will not be closed to traffic during construction. In addition, businesses along the roads will not be impacted.

“The city of Surprise is very adamant about keeping this intersection open because this is the lifeline of the city from east to west. And also the lifeline for the residents to get into the businesses and do their shopping,” said Owen Mills, project manager with the Arizona Department of Transportation.
The article you are referring to dates from January 2015.

Overview

Read this link from azdot.gov - it says that Bell Road will be closed from April 1st.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:49 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:

Overview

Read this link from azdot.gov - it says that Bell Road will be closed from April 1st.
Danka for the update.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:40 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:

Overview

Yicks! I better leave town for about 6 months to dodge the traffic jam!

Old 01-29-2016, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberpills View Post
I'm currently talking with a company about a job out there. The office is in north Glendale off W. Bell road.

From looking at Google Maps and Craigslist/Zillow, it looks like I should be able to (hopefully) find a temporary rental home in either Sun City or Surprise. I'm a single guy so no concerns about schools, but I do worry about commute and crime.

It looks like, for the most part, it would be a straight shot on Bell Rd. all the way to the office from either city. From the traffic reports I'm seeing, Bell Rd doesn't look to be too congested either, but it does seem like a rather "slow" commute since the speed limit is 45mph for 10+ miles.

Does this plan sound OK? Are Sun City and Surprise fairly safe areas to live in?
The Arrowhead area (where you will be working) in general is pretty conjested. Especially during snowbird season. It feels like constant traffic every waking hour. Of course it is worse during rush hour. It's not like you are standing still because you do move. But rather you have to get though dozens of stop lights even when you want to travel 5 miles.

I mention this because I contemplated living in the Arrowhead area. Realize that if you live close by work (Arrowhead), you will be experiencing an annoying amount of traffic every waking moment.

In most parts of Surprise, you can expect a 30 minute commute excluding rush hour and add 15 minutes during peak driving times. The main roads out of Surprise take a LONG time to get to the 101. If you are in a development closer to Northern, they are about done with a much faster path. This road expansion project connects the new 303 to the 101. That road will cut down the commute time by a lot. Again, the key is to get on the 101 as fast as possible to cut down your commute from the western communities. Oh.. There are some apartments off of the 303 and around Glendale. When the Northern expansion is finished, that will shave a good 15 minutes off of the commute. Those apartments are nice but the infrastructure around them is slowly starting to fill in.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:00 AM

576 posts, read 831,210 times
"This road expansion project connects the new 303 to the 101. " What road is that? I am not aware of anything that connects the 303 to the 101?? The 303 is a loop between the western end of I-10 and the northern end of I-17.

To the OP's question about the commute down Bell, I do it every day between 6:30 and 7:00 AM. I travel from SCW all the way over to 7th Ave. Piece of cake in my opinion. Traffic is relevant.... it depends on what time of day you are driving and what you consider to be bad traffic. Bell does get slow sometimes a mile or two either side of the 101, but overall, I don't think it is too bad. I take Bell all the way across then go north.... it is still quicker than the 101.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
"This road expansion project connects the new 303 to the 101. " What road is that? I am not aware of anything that connects the 303 to the 101?? The 303 is a loop between the western end of I-10 and the northern end of I-17.
The construction has been going on for years. It is an expressway with overpasses. There is more work to do near the 101. But I can go 65 mph from the 303 for miles until I get close to the 101.

"Northern Parkway eventually will be a fast road that begins at Loop 303, connects to Loop 101 and glides into U.S. 60, giving the West Valley an east-west alternative to congested Bell Road."

Source: a 2013 article 1st Northern Parkway piece to open in summer

Old 01-29-2016, 04:11 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
I would not want to live in Surprise and commute into Glendale. My father used to do the reverse of this since his workplace is near Sun City and we live in Glendale. I used to live in North Glendale, near Arrowhead Mall, and he took Bell Road which he always complained about since Bell is constant stop and go especially in rush hour it is not something you want to be in. Now that I live near Glendale's Downtown he took Grand... While Grand is also bad, don't get me wrong, it's significantly better than Bell in terms of getting to Surprise and Sun City. But he doesn't get on Grand until it reaches the 101 so that might be why as well, and it's a reverse commute.

He complained about commuting so much that he got his work to let him work from home... Believe me it's not a nice commute. Remember everyone that lives in Surprise and Sun City uses these two roads to get back to the rest of society. Just let that sink in. I used to live in Surprise as well and I remember dealing with Bell, even though I was only a child back then...

Northern will help but Northern is also a few miles south and will be inconvenient for you if you work near Arrowhead.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:47 PM

576 posts, read 831,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
The construction has been going on for years. It is an expressway with overpasses. There is more work to do near the 101. But I can go 65 mph from the 303 for miles until I get close to the 101.

"Northern Parkway eventually will be a fast road that begins at Loop 303, connects to Loop 101 and glides into U.S. 60, giving the West Valley an east-west alternative to congested Bell Road."

Source: a 2013 article 1st Northern Parkway piece to open in summer
Thanks.... my bad... I missed the "Northern" in your original post. I had read it as the 303 directly connected to the 101. Again, my fault and thanks for clarifying.

I agree that this road will have little to no impact on Bell (too far south).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area