Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 12:41 PM

12 posts, read 11,368 times

Advertisements

Hello, Since I am new to these forums can someone please tell me how to send a private message ?
Also, can anyone tell me how hot the summers are from what months to what months. We lived in Southern FL for ten years and each year the weather just got worst. The humidity was unbearable , and it seemed like eternal summer. The HOA's are outrageous along with mandatory flood & hurricane insurance. Plus, I got so sick of the rain everyday. BUT the mosquitoes were the worst. We had to put a mosquitoe misting system in our yard because I am allergic. It got to the point where I felt like I was under house arrest for 6 months of the year. We are now living in OC and love the weather, but the job positions were not what my husband was looking for plus the cost of living is outrageous. Double the price from FL with half the amount of house. So thats how we got to AZ plus my daughter who resides in LA will still be a doable drive.

Can anyone recommend a great carpenter, painter, handyman, plumber, trustworthy housekeeper ? My husband can save your life but not very handy (shhh>>.) It is very disconcert and unsettling moving at this point in our lives totally not knowing anyone where we will be relocating. My husband has his career but I need to make friends which is why we want to be in a club environment.
Thank you again for all your gracious replies.

Last edited by DreamGirly03; 02-01-2016 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 12:57 PM

19,462 posts, read 27,969,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamGirly03 View Post
Hello, Since I am new to these forums can someone please tell me how to send a private message ?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...u-private.html

You shouldn't bother with getting recommendations until you know where you will be living. Many service providers in The Valley won't go all the way out to Gold Canyon or Fountain Hills. Not worth the time, trouble and expense to them.

From Superstition Springs

Whole Foods - minimum 40 minutes
A.J.'s - 25-30 minutes
Superstition Mall - 20 minutes
San Tan Mall - 25-30 minutes
Fashion Square - 45 minutes
Chandler Fashion Mall - 35 minutes

I found these all by using Google Maps, and that assumes no traffic issues.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 02-01-2016 at 01:17 PM..

Old 02-01-2016, 02:16 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,305,741 times
Quote:
Yes, the hospital is on Val Vista in Gilbert. We originally wanted to move to N. Scottsdale ( my physician brother lives there) but he said the commute would be impossible to Gilbert. He was not that familiar clubs with outside of N. Scottsdale. Any clubs you can think of besides Firerock in Fountain Hills ? Will we be the only Jews if we choose Superstitious Mtn. How long would you say the drive is to Chandler Mall or Fashion Square from Superstitious versus Fountain Hills. Where would the closest Whole Foods or AJ type of market be ? We have Bristol Farms here & Whole Foods now.
Thank you again !!
Superstition Mountain to Chandler Fashion Center is a bit of a drive, probably 35 miles, so I would guess more than 45 minutes if there's traffic. There's AJ's and Whole Foods throughout the valley but I would guess the closest to Superstition Mountain would be at Val Vista and US 60, there may be another closer but I'm not that familiar with the far East valley. A locally owned chain that has gone national recently is Sprouts (these are all over the place here).

Old 02-01-2016, 03:20 PM

639 posts, read 975,818 times
Quote:
Also, can anyone tell me how hot the summers are from what months to what months. We lived in Southern FL for ten years and each year the weather just got worst. The humidity was unbearable , and it seemed like eternal summer. The HOA's are outrageous along with mandatory flood & hurricane insurance. Plus, I got so sick of the rain everyday. BUT the mosquitoes were the worst. We had to put a mosquitoe misting system in our yard because I am allergic. It got to the point where I felt like I was under house arrest for 6 months of the year. We are now living in OC and love the weather, but the job positions were not what my husband was looking for plus the cost of living is outrageous. Double the price from FL with half the amount of house. So thats how we got to AZ plus my daughter who resides in LA will still be a doable drive.

Can anyone recommend a great carpenter, painter, handyman, plumber, trustworthy housekeeper ? My husband can save your life but not very handy (shhh>>.) It is very disconcert and unsettling moving at this point in our lives totally not knowing anyone where we will be relocating. My husband has his career but I need to make friends which is why we want to be in a club environment.
Thank you again for all your gracious replies.
My educated guess, living in Gilbert, is that the hospital in question is Mercy Gilbert. I'd look into Seville honestly. It'll be about a 10 minute commute, there is a country club, the neighborhood has a ton of activities for it's residents, and you'll get to know your neighbors pretty quickly based on the friends I have who live there. It's in close proximity to San Tan Village, there's a Sprouts on Val Vista, and plenty of shopping around.

Summer - we usually start hitting 100 degrees sometime in May, and that goes into mid-September. Occasionally, it'll stretch into October. The high heat month is June (typically 110+), with July and August having more humidity than the rest of the year, which will bring down the daytime highs slightly (still 105-110 most days of those months). Mosquitos were a problem last year, worse than any of the other years we've lived here so far.

I'd side with the others and wait on the housekeeping recommendations til you actually get here. More than likely your neighbors will be able to recommend someone that they actually use, and as you'll see, a lot of contractors have a limited area that they work since the metro is so large.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:58 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,602,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...u-private.html

You shouldn't bother with getting recommendations until you know where you will be living. Many service providers in The Valley won't go all the way out to Gold Canyon or Fountain Hills. Not worth the time, trouble and expense to them.

From Superstition Springs

Whole Foods - minimum 40 minutes
A.J.'s - 25-30 minutes
Superstition Mall - 20 minutes
San Tan Mall - 25-30 minutes
Fashion Square - 45 minutes
Chandler Fashion Mall - 35 minutes

I found these all by using Google Maps, and that assumes no traffic issues.
I conversely more or less did the same thing but, from Fountain Hills, which wins hugely IMO. One of very few towns in the valley that isn't totally flat. Also, provides some of the easiest access to the pines in the summer. Payson, AZ from Fountain Hills 64.6 miles, 1 traffic free hour. I swamped in Tempe Marketplace for San Tan Village (which is closer, and IMO better) and Paradise Valley mall for Chandler mall because once again, it's closer and a decent mall with similar/ same stores.

Whole foods- 16.5 Miles, 31 minutes
AJ’s - 11.8 Miles, 19 minutes
Paradise Valley Mall- 17.6 miles, 30 minutes
Fashion Square- 20.2 miles, 33 minutes
Tempe Marketplace- 20.5 miles, 28 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area