Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:14 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,477,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Steve, it might be the first time a major sporting venue for one of the "Big 4" gets built on an Indian Reservation. I can't really think of any others currently.

IMO, the only way the Yotes are going back downtown in a new arena, is to share it with the Suns, and that seems pretty slim odds right now. So, I would guess the two main options, right now, would be on the Reservation or partnering with ASU and building the new arena on campus. With the current money being spent on the massive Sun Devil Stadium renovation, I just don't see ASU donors helping to pay for a new arena and/or the city of Tempe chipping in X amount for a new arena, but I guess you never know, time will tell.
Yes, it would certainly be a first for such a venture funded by/on an Indian Reservation. Perhaps the current Talking Stick naming rights is a bit of a foreshadow of something more/what might be in the future.

Right, I can't see ASU in any way shape or form coming in to help fund a stadium. I think there would be some major outcry on that from many angles and rightfully so. It will be interesting in the end how it shakes out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 10:17 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,284,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post

Right, I can't see ASU in any way shape or form coming in to help fund a stadium. I think there would be some major outcry on that from many angles and rightfully so. It will be interesting in the end how it shakes out.
ASU hockey received over $30 Million in private donations to fund the program and facilities, and ASU also owns land in the athletic facilities district.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
ASU hockey received over $30 Million in private donations to fund the program and facilities, and ASU also owns land in the athletic facilities district.
Any outcry over that such money didn't go to something more directly related to education vs college sports? Given our sports obsessed culture, perhaps not. And sports I believe is a marketing game to recruit students.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:29 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,969,557 times
Quote:
Any outcry over that such money didn't go to something more directly related to education vs college sports? Given our sports obsessed culture, perhaps not. And sports I believe is a marketing game to recruit students.
Usually private donations are ear marked for specific purposes. The law school breaks alumni donations down to specific furniture. If I donate money usually it's to get my name on something I get to pick even if it's just a table.

If anything it should be applauded. That's 30million less spent out of ASU funds.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Usually private donations are ear marked for specific purposes.
Got ya, knowing ahead of time what the donations will be used for, transparent.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:03 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,284,926 times
Quote:
Why would there be outcry if some private investors pour $32 Million of their own money into the hockey team? I didn't say they donated the money to ASU, I said they donated the money to ASU hockey. Obviously $32 Million isn't enough to build an arena, but that, coupled with the ASU land (Karsten I assume) which is earmarked for sporting venues, may be enough for ASU's share. I still think Downtown Phoenix is the better location, but like I said in the previous threads on this subject, the ASU partnership is worth exploring for those reasons.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Why would there be outcry if some private investors pour $32 Million of their own money into the hockey team? I didn't say they donated the money to ASU, I said they donated the money to ASU hockey. Obviously $32 Million isn't enough to build an arena, but that, coupled with the ASU land (Karsten I assume) which is earmarked for sporting venues, may be enough for ASU's share. I still think Downtown Phoenix is the better location, but like I said in the previous threads on this subject, the ASU partnership is worth exploring for those reasons.
From the context that $32 million goes towards building an arena/sports related for a college hockey team, not something directly related to education. ie, building a new wing/upgrade something on the ASU campus related to course work for the students, use the money for grants for students, etc. No, I don't consider partial arena funding directly related to college education anymore than building large grass fields on high schools, with private or public money.

I think some of those on this forum that look for more education related spending directly on any flavor of education in AZ might agree. Though with our sports obsessed culture, perhaps not as it can be rationalized as something all together different.

On to the reality of it all:

Amid funding crisis, college athletics soak up subsidies, fees - USATODAY.com

Rutgers Football Fails Profit Test as Students Pay $1,000 - Bloomberg Business

Old 02-04-2016, 10:57 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,355,843 times
The problem with a location on the reservation is that it isn't central enough for most of the Valley, even though it is closer to the fanbase than the current Glendale location. It would really be only convenient for those living in Scottsdale, and would not be ideal for those living in Chandler, Gilbert, or Queen Creek which have a comparable number of fans. Either ASU or Riverview in Mesa would be more centrally located for both the East Valley as well as the Phoenix metro area as a whole, although for the latter I am not sure if the City of Mesa would be willing to pay for a new arena.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:35 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,969,557 times
Quote:
From the context that $32 million goes towards building an arena/sports related for a college hockey team, not something directly related to education. ie, building a new wing/upgrade something on the ASU campus related to course work for the students, use the money for grants for students, etc. No, I don't consider partial arena funding directly related to college education anymore than building large grass fields on high schools, with private or public money.

I think some of those on this forum that look for more education related spending directly on any flavor of education in AZ might agree. Though with our sports obsessed culture, perhaps not as it can be rationalized as something all together different.

On to the reality of it all:

Amid funding crisis, college athletics soak up subsidies, fees - USATODAY.com

Rutgers Football Fails Profit Test as Students Pay $1,000 - Bloomberg Business
What if the donations are from sports alumni of ASU who owe a thanks to ASU for getting them the coaching and opportunities that got them into pro sports leagues? It would be like if I donated to ASU and they wanted to give it to the general ASU educational fund, I didn't go to ASU as an undergrad, I went as a grad, I want my money to go where I was to help improve it and to give opportunities to others.

It wasn't ASU education that got them there, it was the sports program, of course they want their money to go to sports for the benefit of other young sports players in Phoenix and where ASU recruits providing more future opportunities.

I would like my taxes to go to ASU generally, however, but not private donations. My tax dollars are better spent there than they are in the Federal District Court defending nonsense bills and Arpaio.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:00 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,352,850 times
Back in 2013 the Pegula Ice Arena opened in State College, PA. It was paid for by billionaire Terry Pegula, who's a Penn State alum and owner of the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills. He donated $100 million, the largest in the university's history, for the 6,000 seat arena (cost $88 million) and to help bring Penn State hockey (men's and women's) to the D1 level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area