Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 05:53 AM

5 posts, read 17,258 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating moving to Arizona when I get out of college. Probably around the Mesa area. Now, it's too soon to ask about crime and prices and whatnot...but, one thing that is incredibly important to me is my pets. I have two dogs who will of course have to go outside to do their business and play around and I started thinking about all these tales of scorpions, spiders, and rattlesnakes. So, for anyone who has pets or knows someone who does...how dangerous is AZ's local "wildlife" to the average dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 07:30 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
The ones to really worry about are coyotes. You'll see them running around in certain areas. Occasionally we will see them running down our street at night. You might also hear them eating dinner, which is NOT fun. On the news the other night they had in one area several cases of owners and their dogs being corner by coyotes while out walking. Several dogs in that area have been killed.

I have also been seeing hawks overhead and worry about small animals in the area, especially ones just innocently playing in their backyards. More than likely you won't have a problem. But you'll want to keep an eye out for your dogs.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:38 AM

202 posts, read 981,288 times
Don't let your pets run loose and they will be fine.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:26 PM
ejk

126 posts, read 594,584 times
I know a lot of people who have dogs or cats which live out in the yard for the most part and I have never known anybody to lose a pet, even though there are coyotes in the area (I can hear them some nights). HOWEVER, I have heard of people who had this happen, and I have also been told that larger coyotes can scale the block fencing without any problem. I have not seen this myself. It's just what I have been told.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:17 PM

51 posts, read 238,977 times
Basically, if you're not stupid and use some common sense, you'll be fine. Don't leave your pets outside all day without checking on them. Generally not a good idea when it's 100 + degrees outside anyways...

Old 06-09-2007, 07:41 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejk View Post
I know a lot of people who have dogs or cats which live out in the yard for the most part and I have never known anybody to lose a pet, even though there are coyotes in the area (I can hear them some nights). HOWEVER, I have heard of people who had this happen, and I have also been told that larger coyotes can scale the block fencing without any problem. I have not seen this myself. It's just what I have been told.
I have. What surprised me was how quick and effortless it was. It almost cleared the wall without touching it and did it basically from a stand-still; no running start. I've never lost a dog in 45 years here, but had two cats taken by hawks. I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye out for predators.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:12 PM

453 posts, read 1,628,369 times
Don't come to fountain hills, the coyotes troll all night long and do kill the pets. One woman's dog got loose and they ( a pack of them ) chased it onto the golf course in the early evning (still light out) and killed it right in front of her. It is some problem we have here but the cops don't seem to want to do anything about it. Bobcats are now running rampant in our community. The wild, wild, west here.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:24 AM

5 posts, read 17,258 times
So, no one does anything at all about the coyote problem? That's insane. My dogs only go out three times a day to use the bathroom though. And I figured I'd have to walk them at night because of the heat. But, now I'm scared of the coyotes. Are there dog parks in Mesa/Pheonix?

Old 06-10-2007, 11:20 AM
ejk

126 posts, read 594,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
So, no one does anything at all about the coyote problem? That's insane. My dogs only go out three times a day to use the bathroom though. And I figured I'd have to walk them at night because of the heat. But, now I'm scared of the coyotes. Are there dog parks in Mesa/Pheonix?
It's not so much as a coyote problem as a people problem. It's like any other wildlife-- people feed them and they start coming around more often.

The closer you live to the mountains, the more likely you are to see them. Having said that, we're fairly close to the White Tanks and have not seen any in our 2 years of living here, except for road kill on I-10.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:04 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejk View Post
It's not so much as a coyote problem as a people problem. It's like any other wildlife-- people feed them and they start coming around more often.

The closer you live to the mountains, the more likely you are to see them. Having said that, we're fairly close to the White Tanks and have not seen any in our 2 years of living here, except for road kill on I-10.
That's what I saw on the news is that people are feeding the coyotes. I can understand the desire to do so, but people need to realize what that causes. The problem is that we are in their territory, not the other way around. They were here before we built our homes and scooted them out. I feel bad for them actually, but we need to be smart. If you live inwards and not near the desert and mountains then you shouldn't have a problem, but keep your eyes out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area