Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least favorite Phoenix suburb?
Surprise 4 3.67%
Peoria 2 1.83%
Glendale 12 11.01%
Litchfield 0 0%
Avondale 2 1.83%
Buckeye 3 2.75%
Tolleson 11 10.09%
Goodyear 1 0.92%
Cave Creek 2 1.83%
Carefree 1 0.92%
Paradise Valley 2 1.83%
Scottsdale 10 9.17%
Tempe 2 1.83%
Fountain Hills 0 0%
Mesa 16 14.68%
Chandler 2 1.83%
Gilbert 13 11.93%
Apache Junction 10 9.17%
Guadalupe 12 11.01%
Queen Creek 4 3.67%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 10:08 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Not true in all of Surprise actually. Especially developments west of the 303. For example, Lennar's new development North of the 60 near the 303.
Same for East Mesa.
Same for a good chunk of South Chandler.
Northern Peoria perpetuates it also. In fact it's one of the worse offenders.
The character of the place is not ruled by the exception. It is, for the most part, flat land. Certainly the area you describe as "bland stucco cracker boxes with pink rocks and curbed in grass" is. The part where everyone would like to live if they only had the money is, of course, the rocky uplands.

Speaking for myself, I have moved around the valley and could never live in Chandler or Gilbert with its distant mountain views. I gotta have topography and I am willing to kill a few saguaros to get that!

Old 03-31-2016, 10:13 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The character of the place is not ruled by the exception. It is, for the most part, flat land. Certainly the area you describe as "bland stucco cracker boxes with pink rocks and curbed in grass" is. The part where everyone would like to live if they only had the money is, of course, the rocky uplands.
The blandness is the character of the place, that's the point. It's a perpetual sprawl with poor planning and antiquated methods. The future growth of Surprise, like many other communities is into virgin desert land of which it will do with great horizontal length past Wittman and into Wickenburg. Conversion of what is one of the most unique and beautiful deserts in the world, into cheap throwaway communities. Peoria is doing the same thing due north into Yavapai county. Worse, it will do so in the same manner this whole mindless sprawl has done it, through cheap housing and a fragile service-based industry susceptible, again, to recession.

Quote:
Speaking for myself, I have moved around the valley and could never live in Chandler or Gilbert with its distant mountain views. I gotta have topography and I am willing to kill a few saguaros to get that!
In their defense they do have views of South Mountain and San Tan.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:17 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
I could never kill a saguaro for my own selfish reasons. They have been here long before we are and will be here long after.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:29 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,370,897 times
I presume those who are voting for Gilbert are probably some liberals who are intolerant of opposing views, considering Gilbert is a conservative city.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:29 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,246,818 times
Everyone had their own value judgements and reasons to pick where they want to live.

For you to impose your own value judgements on others and then denigrate the choices of others is absurd.

I work is Scottsdale. I make more than enough money to live in Scottsdale. I have no desire to every live in Scottsdale.

That is just me and to each their own.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I presume those who are voting for Gilbert are probably some liberals who are intolerant of opposing views, considering Gilbert is a conservative city.
Why would you assume that they would be intolerant of opposing views? Did it occur to you that they simply may not want to live in such an environment that is verging on a theocracy? Intolerance would be trying to control their opposing beliefs. Avoidance isn't the same at all.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I could never kill a saguaro for my own selfish reasons. They have been here long before we are and will be here long after.
I wouldn't either, but I am aware that the developers took out many of them to build the subdivision I live in. I guess it is like eating steak. I wouldn't kill the cow myself.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:24 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I wouldn't either, but I am aware that the developers took out many of them to build the subdivision I live in. I guess it is like eating steak. I wouldn't kill the cow myself.

Your statement about needing "topography and you'd be willing to kill a few saguaros to get that" is what I am referring to. I am not in favor of this at all. Relocate them if you must, but killing them to give yourself a better view isn't cool, IMO. I prefer the areas that have built around them as opposed to bulldozing all forms of life and starting fresh. Guess that's why I hate the suburbs. Too much clearing the land for bland houses and office parks.

In the end the cow is still dead. Who does the slaughtering is moot, IMO.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Your statement about needing "topography and you'd be willing to kill a few saguaros to get that" is what I am referring to. I am not in favor of this at all. Relocate them if you must, but killing them to give yourself a better view isn't cool, IMO. I prefer the areas that have built around them as opposed to bulldozing all forms of life and starting fresh. Guess that's why I hate the suburbs. Too much clearing the land for bland houses and office parks.

Well, I was being facetious in that sense. I did not cut down any saguaros for the view. They are the view. But, you are right that at least part of the burbs involve conversion of pristine desert areas to homes and that is true of the places I have lived like Ahwatukee and Estrella. Others, though, change ag fields into housing tracts which is most of Surprise, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Tempe etc. JG.. points out that Peoria has annexed all the way to the foothills of the Bradshaw mountains and that is going to result in destruction of much desert as it develops. Same with north Scottsdale. That might be enough to put those places on someone's most disliked list.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:02 PM

586 posts, read 542,929 times
Was there nothing growing in your Phoenix neighbourhood before it was developed??
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area