Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would u attend/ok having your kid attend a Phoenix area college with mandatory fee that funds illega
Yes 10 15.63%
No 46 71.88%
Yes, only if the fee was voluntary, not mandatory 8 12.50%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:27 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times

Advertisements

Prescott College just instituted a mandatory $30 fee for students to help pay for tuition for illegal aliens.

Prescott College Creates Mandatory $30 Fee for Undocumented Immigrant Scholarships

I included a basic poll on the topic if a Phoenix based college like ASU(if it's allowed given it's a state school) or Grand Canyon University or another Phoenix based private college instituted such a policy/mandatory fee.

Personally, beyond the poll, I think it's a kick in the face on several levels.

#1 - For those of us who put themselves through college with loans, working a job, help from parents, etc., isn't this a kick in the face to these people? And why should illegal aliens somehow be given a scholarship just based on the fact they are an illegal alien and fund it all via the student body with a mandatory fee?

#2 - I feel if we are going to hand out scholarships just on the merits of citizenship, legal citizens should take precedent. This encourages and rewards following the rule of law behavior, not rewarding illegal behavior. Otherwise, it's a major slap in the face to adults, kids, and families who migrate here via legal channels and pay the fees, take the time which is often many many years, etc. On the topic, wouldn't it be much more fitting to have a scholarship for those who recently migrated here via legal means which would be rewarding legal/following the law behavior? Somehow I think we have this all a little backwards otherwise.

Last edited by stevek64; 04-06-2016 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 08:42 PM

975 posts, read 1,405,570 times
The state legislature is unfairly punishing Arizona residents who are illegal aliens (many of them brought to this country as children by their parents) by forcing the community colleges to charge them out of state tuition. The only thing that this law does is make it significantly more difficult for these students to obtain higher education (and actually causes more problems as it essentially shuts them out of any skilled positions). This fee simply tries to address this situation.

I'm all in favor of a voluntary fee to get around this issue. I don't believe it should be mandatory, however.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:44 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Prescott College is a private school and this was a student lead initiative so if that's really what the school wants I guess that's fine. But no to ASU or any public University, GCU may do as it pleases however. Judging from my experiences with Prescott College I'm guessing a good majority of students were in favor of this.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:59 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Prescott College is a private school and this was a student lead initiative so if that's really what the school wants I guess that's fine. But no to ASU or any public University, GCU may do as it pleases however. Judging from my experiences with Prescott College I'm guessing a good majority of students were in favor of this.
I wonder if there is some state oversight of private colleges by the state of AZ on certain matters, perhaps something in the accreditation process, that can overturn such fees?

Old 04-06-2016, 11:54 PM

64 posts, read 74,505 times
I understand the rationale behind it, with undocumented kids growing up and etc. However, as someone who jumped through years of flaming hoops and paid thousands of dollars to immigrate here LEGALLY, and go to school at ASU, I would not be happy about this. It would basically be not only a slap in the face to the hard working people who try and fund their own education, but other immigrants who did come here legally. Why bother going through all that trouble, when I could have jumped a fence somewhere and have free education? They need to address the situation, but not by putting even more financial stress from those who are paying for it already.

I also paid the first two years as out-of-state considering I had not lived in AZ for an entire year yet prior to starting, so I feel the sting of it. Why not address the cost of crazy tuition prices? Cap it off somehow.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:55 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I wonder if there is some state oversight of private colleges by the state of AZ on certain matters, perhaps something in the accreditation process, that can overturn such fees?
Accreditation is generally handled by regional non-governmental organizations, not state governments. In Arizona, the Higher Learning Commission, which is based in Chicago, is the main accrediting body. Accrediting bodies generally look at measurements of academic quality and financial stability, but do not try to influence the politics of the colleges and universities they govern. In this case, it seems a free market approach is best for private colleges like Prescott. If students (or their tuition-paying parents) are offended by this fee, they can choose another college and send a message that way.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
The only bodies that could regulate education in AZ are either K12 or public colleges. If this offended the Board of Regents, for example, I could imagine, controversially, some sort of barrier to transfer credits between Prescott College and our State Colleges. But that would be politically dangerous and intensive. In short, good for Prescott College, the students wanted it and the administration gave it to them. Prescott College is easily one of the most liberal colleges I've ever been to.

Now because my state tax dollars go to State Colleges I would be opposed to this for that reason.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:39 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
By the way, shouldn't this really be in the Arizona forum? Prescott is not within the Phoenix Metropolitan Area.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
By the way, shouldn't this really be in the Arizona forum? Prescott is not within the Phoenix Metropolitan Area.
No it's a discussion on Phoenix area colleges with Prescott College as the entry point. The discussion isn't about Prescott.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:45 PM

346 posts, read 549,867 times
If the school is private they can charge whatever fees they want; people can choose not to pay them and go elsewhere. (I went to a Catholic university and my sister went to UC Berkeley; the fee structures of the two schools were nothing alike. My university could charge whatever fees they wanted and the state system answered to the taxpayers. It worked fine then and it does now.)

I have college age children and certainly wouldn't eliminate a college from consideration based on such a fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area