Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:18 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,680,057 times

Advertisements

Sorry I can't provide a direct link, but if you google "Arizona office of pest management" & then select "e-tarf" reports, you can type in the house # (only) and see the written records for any termite treatments or inspections by licensed dudes in the past decade. Don't type in the whole address, just the house number, then scroll down until you find the subject house.

The inspection reports will often tell you where & when the termites were found, you can compare the written report against the disclosure provided by the seller.. Personally, I haven't seen many houses here without some history of termite infestation - I "gutted" my house & had it treated for termites even though there weren't any active infestations, and the previous infestation & treatment was a decade before I purchased it. In the case of my house, a poorly constructed patio cover leaked a small amount of water into one wall & that attracted termites - the termites bored through the 2x4"s to get to the drywall paper.. Termites seem to love mdf, chip-board, cardboard & paper more than real wood. I've seen them bore through a garage sill plate to eat the tasty fiberboard garage cabinets inside..

In any case, trust but verify, if you love the house, most termite dudes will do an inspection for $50-$75 & check the place from rafters to closets & they can usually spot old unrepaired damage when they do that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 08:51 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,906 times
There are 2 kinds of houses in the Phoenix area. The ones with termites and the ones that WILL have termites.

If the home has been properly treated, then you have nothing to worry about. Ask the homeowner if they still have the warranty from the pest control company. It's about $100 per year.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:00 PM

13,244 posts, read 7,295,079 times
Was the remodel done by licensed contractors, and was the work they did permitted? If they did a total remodel they would have to done a permitted job. Lot of home flippers use illegal worker labor who have no license and cut a lot of corners. Sometimes the flipper does the work himself since he is the owner he can do that but still needs to pull permits and they usually don't bother with permitting the work because it cost lot more money most buyers are too gullible to ask. I have never seen a buyers agent ask about permits either because they are only interested in closing the deal get that commish. If that was done you should be okay and like others said check with the termite company.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:38 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,680,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Was the remodel done by licensed contractors, and was the work they did permitted? If they did a total remodel they would have to done a permitted job. Lot of home flippers use illegal worker labor who have no license and cut a lot of corners. Sometimes the flipper does the work himself since he is the owner he can do that but still needs to pull permits and they usually don't bother with permitting the work because it cost lot more money most buyers are too gullible to ask. I have never seen a buyers agent ask about permits either because they are only interested in closing the deal get that commish. If that was done you should be okay and like others said check with the termite company.
A "total" remodel doesn't usually require permits - in Phoenix, I can take a house back to studs legally, with no permit. As long as you aren't moving walls, outlets, fixtures, etc it's all fair game. Flooring, drywall, tubs, tiles, cabinets & counters, light fixtures, outlets, moldings, appliances - all legal to do without a permit.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:04 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,969,392 times
I was underneath some houses in Coronado. I found some termite damage t the floor joists. They had been repaired, but all they did was "sister" up a stud to reinforce the joist. A proper job would have been to remove the floor, sub-floor, and replace the entire joists in question...but that would have been 15X more expensive, if not more. It was a deal breaker for me. But, that is the kind of things inspectors will turn a blind eye to...out of sight; out of mind....must have been talking about termite work. And going into a crawlspace in Phoenix in August was not pleasant, at all, and I was waiting to hear that rattle, like on western movies...there is an extremely valuable story down there, that is for sure.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:51 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
There are 2 kinds of houses in the Phoenix area. The ones with termites and the ones that WILL have termites.

If the home has been properly treated, then you have nothing to worry about. Ask the homeowner if they still have the warranty from the pest control company. It's about $100 per year.
Exactly. I bet it is a great home in a great location if it's been fully gutted. If it was priced correctly, the home is probably already gone. I wouldn't let previous termite treatment stop you from submitting an offer. Of course, if your offer is accepted, you would want to have a termite and home inspection.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:37 AM

720 posts, read 733,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Termites are everywhere. There are homes with them now that people don't even know they have them.
If they had a legitimate licensed termite control do the work then you should be good to go for another 5+ years. Sometimes follow up treatments are required. Remodeling would/should have included replacement of damaged wood.
Can you find out who treated the residence, then you can call the company and get the full details and what their warranty is.
Termites are everywhere read your buyers' advisory for links and information on that. If you're buying direct from the seller just make sure you are PROTECTED! here's the issue with GUTTED HOMES even if you bring a termite inspector now he wont be able to see if they treated it properly so ??? does the current homeowner have documentation/warranty from a reputable termite company that they came and inspected and treated the area prior to them sheetrocking and finishing the home?? that would be the make/break decision for me. FYI termite inspections should be public record and accessible via your city website.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:41 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Sorry I can't provide a direct link, but if you google "Arizona office of pest management" & then select "e-tarf" reports, you can type in the house # (only) and see the written records for any termite treatments or inspections by licensed dudes in the past decade. Don't type in the whole address, just the house number, then scroll down until you find the subject house.
A couple years ago I noticed the first signs of termites and did a serious amount of research on the type and treatments available. After the pricey quotes I received I went the DIY route using the same chemicals and methods as the pros for a fraction of the cost. Very labor intensive but worth it. No signs of them since. I wonder if I'll run into issues when I sell because my house was obviously treated but won't show up on that report you mention.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:03 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,073 times
Not certain if you will run into the problem again Bungle, but you will have to disclose when you sell.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:33 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
I'll chime in about Termites from time to time as I own a rental that had 3 different infestations with 2 different kinds of termite.

We talking subterranean (mud tubes running up walls) or Drywoods (Salt and Pepper looking pellets)?

Both are treatable, both are common. A plan for subterranean usually involves (assuming a floating slab) horizontal drilling with pesticide injections and perimeter trenching. It's a 3-4 hour job and costs 350-600.

Drywoods on the outside are usually spot treated without a warranty. That's where you drill a hole in the wood and foam em out.

Drywoods on the inside of the house, that's when you have the tents.

Subs live underground in colonies by the thousands or millions away from their targets.
Drys live in the wood itself by the 10s or 100s.

Unless the damage is structural, it can be easily remediated.

As for disclosure at the point of sale, so what? Almost every house in this city/state over the age of 15 has termites or had them.

Best way to manage termites is to find a local reputable termite company, don't use bait stations, and have them come out to check annually.

Reject bait stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area