Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:46 AM

20 posts, read 98,851 times

Advertisements

So, it worked for them, but I don't know if it would be so great to be a single child and be homeschooled.[/quote]

You know, I used to think that, too. Then I started meeting a ton of single parents HSing and then one-child families and saw that the playing field was level for everyone. Since outside activities abound for HSers, one-child families have the same opportunity for social interaction as those with more children. Many of the one-child families I know are able to take on additional academics like second languages, second instruments, another community service etc. bc they have the extra time.

In fact, I'd say they have a bit more opportunity than others bc of their mobility; it's easier to move one child than several children through their schooling to go out to other activities. Sometimes I get a bit jealous at my friends with one child bc they have more time to join student govt. and debate teams, community service and the other excellerated things than some of us who have other children.

There are many support groups and activities for the varioius demographics of families in HSing, so anyone can find a group for one-child homes, special needs homes (there's allot of special needs groups in HSing here), etc.

HSing through high school is also on the rise now that parents are seeing the importance of mentorship in those delicate years and the ease of curriculum they have available now. There are HS graduation ceremonies, Proms, football, etc. if you're interested in those activities. And like you said, there are some good charter schools here in Arizona that are of benefit, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 08:30 AM

788 posts, read 2,112,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreHeat View Post
[color=blue] Many of the one-child families I know are able to take on additional academics like second languages, second instruments, another community service etc. bc they have the extra time.
That is the biggest benefit of homeschooling, imho. The child can pursue all kinds of subjects *that are of interest to them*, which may not be offered in public school. One of my friends who was HSed learned japanese...because she wanted to. Well rounded education and creating a thirst for learning are things that the public system generally lacks.

The other major benefit, as you mentioned, is the 1on1 attention, which is most definitely not offered in public schools. Studies show that the more personal attention they get, the better they do, academically.

It takes a dedicated and attentive parent with natural teaching skills to be effective though. I wish I had the finances to stay home so that I could teach my son myself (I want to teach anyway). But yes. I agree with you.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,466 times
In AZ, you get what you pay for We spend more $ on prisoners than students. Teachers do not make a livable salary and are asked to take a pay cut or a pink slip while administrators keep getting pay raises. In AZ, you get what you pay for.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:42 AM

385 posts, read 1,262,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxboy View Post
There is a reason that Phoenix (and it's surrounding area's) have the mantra of: Phoenix is a great place to live...as long as you don't have kids.

Test scores in the state rank toward the bottom.
ESL...TONS of money go into this program.
Low property tax means less money for schools. You get what you pay for.
Real discipline would not cost 1 penny more. DC spends 17000 per year per pupil and their test scores are barely human.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:35 AM

137 posts, read 341,852 times
I had put this one to rest, now I'm worried again.

My wife and I are moving to Phoenix in July, and we still haven't picked a place to live. Rather than even get into naming the areas we're considering, I have a question for all of you:

What school district do you think is the absolute best in the Phoenix area? I'll have one child in kindergarten, a 2nd grader, and a 4th grader, so if you have a specific elementary school that you think is the best, I'd love to hear about that too.

And for anyone who has a favorite district or school, and who also happens to be from the North East or Mid West, do you think your favorite school/district in Phoenix compares favorably to what you had back East?

Old 05-22-2009, 11:52 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsheridan View Post
I had put this one to rest, now I'm worried again.

My wife and I are moving to Phoenix in July, and we still haven't picked a place to live. Rather than even get into naming the areas we're considering, I have a question for all of you:

What school district do you think is the absolute best in the Phoenix area? I'll have one child in kindergarten, a 2nd grader, and a 4th grader, so if you have a specific elementary school that you think is the best, I'd love to hear about that too.

And for anyone who has a favorite district or school, and who also happens to be from the North East or Mid West, do you think your favorite school/district in Phoenix compares favorably to what you had back East?
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I don't think there is one ABSOLUTE best elementary district in a metropolitan area this large. I recognize that AZ is low on the list in terms of education spending, but these gloom and doom threads that make people think their children won't get a good education in any number of districts in metro Phoenix just give a WRONG impression, and are a slap in the face to the good teachers in many districts, and their students, who are accomplishing that goal, in the face of budget constraints.

Your kids will be just fine in any number of elementary districts. And, if you are only planning on staying a year or so, you've even less reason to be stressing about schools.

Last edited by observer53; 05-22-2009 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 11:57 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,246,818 times
on the whole education in AZ just isn't a priority at any level - it's not in the culture out here

however, there are some good enough districts all over the metro

if you get in a good one and take an active role in your childs education and help them acheive their aptitudes all will be fine

there are a lot of smart kids, smart teachers and hard working districts in the state ........ don't take a 90 minute commute just so your kid can be in a perceived to district, take the 30 minute commute in a good district and spend that extra hour each night going over lessons and helping with the process

Old 05-22-2009, 12:08 PM

385 posts, read 1,262,586 times
Alhambra Traditional Magnet School in AESD. Don't be fooled by its location. Your kids probably can't get in. It's not like one of those ridiculous GT Programs, where 70% pass the entrance exam.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:36 PM

137 posts, read 341,852 times
My occupation, my programming language, and now my kids...

horseplayer, your homework for tonight is to read the book "How To Win Friends And Influence People". It's way over the top, most of it is probably hoakey and outdated, but there are some real nuggets in there which you are sorely in need of digesting...

My homework will be to check out Alhambra Traditional Magnet School in AESD and figure out just how much smarter my kids would have to be to get in

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:45 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Gsheridan-

Just to make you feel a LITTLE better, he or she has made that same statement about other people's kids and that school. Nevertheless, I agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area