Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 09:38 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I'm thinking it will be too cold for swimming outdoors around the holidays? Even if the water is heated, do people still do it?
All these resorts have heated pools as their fall, winter and spring guests want to enjoy the sun and water, but of course un-heated water would be too cold for swimming during our tourist season. Resorts tend to heat the water pretty significantly so it is quite pleasant year round. The Hyatt Regency Scottsdale sets it at 83 degrees, which is obviously pretty warm, but I guess they just want to make sure no one says "it's too cold."

I do think you see a lot less people swimming on cool/cold days, but once you get in the water I have to imagine it's okay at that temperature, but yeah you probably wouldn't be laying out getting a tan on a cool December day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 09:46 AM

939 posts, read 2,380,568 times
I've stayed at The Phoenician, JW Marriott Camelback Inn, JW Marriott Phoenix Resort and The Biltmore. I've eaten at The Boulders and The Four Seasons. I don't think you could go wrong at any of them. I have heard The Sanctuary is great for solitude and relaxation, though.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:56 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
I've stayed at the Phoenician and JW Marriott. Both beautiful resorts. Keep in mind larger resorts usually host corporate events. The one time I stayed at JW Mariott it was so noisy and filled with crazy conventioners I didn't get a moment's rest. The manager comp'd one night of my stay it was THAT bad.

I know you want upper scale - posh... but check out Firesky in Scottsdale. I've stayed there on 2 occasions and the grounds and pool are amazing. In December they give out the fixings for smores and you can grab a glass of wine and sit by an outdoor firepit.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:56 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
I'm thinking it will be too cold for swimming outdoors around the holidays? Even if the water is heated, do people still do it?
We do. It's lovely getting out of the heated pool to a crisp breeze.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:57 AM

888 posts, read 890,117 times
I give two thumbs up for Gainey Resorts in Scottsdale with their off-season and summertime prices. It's a very affordable stay when you consider breakfast and light dinner, buffet style, are included in the price. A very friendly and tenured, family-feeling, staff adds to the comfort and familiarity.

It doesn't have a massive spread of swimming pools or a golf course. You're time there off-season and a little smart shopping will leave your wallet fatter than most other places you'll stay at in Scottsdale. I'll be back, that's for sure.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:01 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
All these resorts have heated pools as their fall, winter and spring guests want to enjoy the sun and water, but of course un-heated water would be too cold for swimming during our tourist season. Resorts tend to heat the water pretty significantly so it is quite pleasant year round. The Hyatt Regency Scottsdale sets it at 83 degrees, which is obviously pretty warm, but I guess they just want to make sure no one says "it's too cold."

I do think you see a lot less people swimming on cool/cold days, but once you get in the water I have to imagine it's okay at that temperature, but yeah you probably wouldn't be laying out getting a tan on a cool December day.
I assumed the water would be heated, but even this midwestern gal can't imagine enjoying even a warm pool when the outside air temps are possibly in the 50s. You'd have to stay up to your neck in the water to stay warm as wet skin would get cold fast (even in 100 degree sun you can get a chill getting out of the water with low humidity) and I would think anything like a lazy river would be out as you'd be out of the water in a swim suit to float. Brrr! (side note, to me 83-84 is the perfect water temp for summer swimming. I'd think it should be a bit warmer when the outdoor temps are 40-50 degrees colder than in July JMO)

I just want to be sure the OP is aware that it's not balmy and warm here in December, as a lot of people assume it is hot all year round. (not sure where they are located, if they are local they would know this, of course) For true pool weather at Christmas you'd need to hit south Florida, IMO. Average highs here for December would be around 65, but it's not always that warm. Average lows are around 40, but the 30s are not out of the question.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:15 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
Quote:
I assumed the water would be heated, but even this midwestern gal can't imagine enjoying even a warm pool when the outside air temps are possibly in the 50s. You'd have to stay up to your neck in the water to stay warm as wet skin would get cold fast (even in 100 degree sun you can get a chill getting out of the water with low humidity) and I would think anything like a lazy river would be out as you'd be out of the water in a swim suit to float. Brrr! (side note, to me 83-84 is the perfect water temp for summer swimming. I'd think it should be a bit warmer when the outdoor temps are 40-50 degrees colder than in July JMO)

I just want to be sure the OP is aware that it's not balmy and warm here in December, as a lot of people assume it is hot all year round. For true pool weather at Christmas you'd need to hit south Florida, IMO. Average highs here for December would be around 65, but it's not always that warm. Average lows are around 40, but the 30s are not out of the question.
I remember going deer hunting as a kid in northern Wisconsin and if you wanted to bathe you had to jump in a lake. Those late fall temperatures and the steam coming off the water because it's not frozen yet and is actually warmer than the air...beautiful. But, yeah, as soon as you jumped into the water, before you were even all the way in, your body was already fighting to get back out of the water, haha.

One time a deer someone had gotten ended up going into a lake...and a couple of my buddies had to go in there and pull it out. I wasn't with them at the time but that could not have been a pleasant endeavor.

For the record I never got a deer, which is just as well because what's a kid going to do with all that venison anyway? My mom would've probably just been annoyed by the hassle of it all if I'd come home with a deer. So I was happy to just enjoy the time out in the woods.

Now fishing, I have had some more success with and find more interesting/attractive to me than hunting.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:32 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Even though its not in Scottsdale, I'd recommend the Phoenician. Youre literally right at the base of Camelback, its gorgeous. The Four Seasons in Scottsdale (up a bit north by Pinnacle Peak) is gorgeous, too. You cant go wrong with the Princess, either, but as others have stated, its showing its age a bit. Still, its a great resort.

If youre planning on swimming, make sure it has an indoor pool, as its too cold to swim outside. If you wanna swim outside in winter, your only real luck is Hawaii or the Keys. AZ is mild in the day, and cold at night in the winter. If the pool isn't heated (which Im sure they will be), the water will be so cold that you wont last more than a few seconds before you run out. Even if its heated, getting out of the pool into 70-degree weather is far too cold. Just trust me.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:14 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Not in Scottsdale, but I'd put the Royal Palms Resort & Spa at or near the top. Worth checking out for sure

Old 10-15-2016, 03:33 PM

197 posts, read 271,360 times
Montelucia hands down.

President Obama stays there when he's in town.

A second choice would be Sanctuary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area