Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 10:52 PM

7 posts, read 16,183 times

Advertisements

I just bought a new home in north Surprise up 163rd. What is life like for young professionals in Surprise. Am I probably going to drive to downtown or across to Scottsdale to go out to cool bars and malls and restaurants? Is there cool stuff on the west side in Peoria, Glendale, etc.?

I'm 26 from an upper middle class suburban community north of Los Angeles.
I was living in downtown LA for the last 2 years, but really wanted a home and could not afford anything in CA.

I'm going to ASU's - Thunderbird School of Global Management.

I work full-time for a management consulting company as an analyst. I work from home 90% of the time, and fly out of state once a quarter.

I guess I envision myself going out into nature for day, weekend camping trips to arcosanti, sedona, white tank mountains, grand canyon, flagstaff, etc. In a year or 2, I hope to build a pool and a outdoor patio cover, bbq bar area.

It would be nice to go out shopping, bar hopping, walking around etc. but it seems like those kind of activities are mainly in Scottsdale, and downtown areas and that the west side- Surprise especially is just full of families, etc.

Just trying to get a sense of what to expect lifestyle wise in Surprise. Will be nice to have a brand new home but will also be hard not living 1 block from Sunset Blvd in California anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 11:09 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,956,168 times
It's pretty bland and boring, but you'll be fine.

Surprise is full of the following:

Retired folks
Military families
Families with children looking for cheap new homes

Not a lot of young professionals, many of the people your age probably went to high school out there and never left. It's not a bad thing, but it's reality. If you're married you'll fit in just fine, if not, you'll find yourself in Scottsdale/Phoenix/Tempe/Maybe Arrowhead or Westgate but those two are a maybe.

I've spent many years out there, I have many friends still over there. I won't go back but many like it fine.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:16 PM

7 posts, read 16,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
It's pretty bland and boring, but you'll be fine.

Surprise is full of the following:

Retired folks
Military families
Families with children looking for cheap new homes

Not a lot of young professionals, many of the people your age probably went to high school out there and never left. It's not a bad thing, but it's reality. If you're married you'll fit in just fine, if not, you'll find yourself in Scottsdale/Phoenix/Tempe/Maybe Arrowhead or Westgate but those two are a maybe.
Thanks for your insight. That's the sense I got from visiting but if I survived growing up in a conservative california suburb I thought I would survive in Surprise.

I have a girlfriend who is moving in with me. I hope to get married and have a baby and all that soon.
I also want to join the air national guard at some point. So I guess it's a good move. The only other option would have been Buckeye. East Valley was too expensive for me - even though I would have loved to live in either Gilbert or in Scottsdale. I wanted an acre in Buckeye, couldn't get that so settled for Brand New home in Surprise. Hoping to build it up in value a bit and sell it for much more as Surprise and East Valley become more developed over next few years, and property values increase.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:24 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,956,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk323i View Post
Thanks for your insight. That's the sense I got from visiting but if I survived growing up in a conservative california suburb I thought I would survive in Surprise.

I have a girlfriend who is moving in with me. I hope to get married and have a baby and all that soon.
I also want to join the air national guard at some point. So I guess it's a good move. The only other option would have been Buckeye. East Valley was too expensive for me - even though I would have loved to live in either Gilbert or in Scottsdale. I wanted an acre in Buckeye, couldn't get that so settled for Brand New home in Surprise. Hoping to build it up in value a bit and sell it for much more as Surprise and East Valley become more developed over next few years, and property values increase.
If it were me I'd take Surprise every day over Buckeye if you want to be able to do stuff as you'll be closer to Arrowhead and close to Westgate. If you want small town atmosphere with the smell of farms and large plats Buckeye is alright.

Conservative California suburb is very very similar to Surprise, no surprises for you.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:48 AM

55 posts, read 48,132 times
Do people actually live in Surprise? I thought it only existed for Baseball training camps.
I'm kidding so please don't scream at me! Actually, we plan to come out this spring to visit my Boys In Blue and have a question. What's the drive like from I17 just north of 101 around to the stadium complex and what's mid-March weather like?

Old 11-22-2016, 07:50 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Surprise seems like our version of Menifee or Murietta, pretty boring and quite a drive from the city

Old 11-22-2016, 08:36 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Surprise? Its the vanilla Phoenix suburb. What else can we say? Its about as plain Jane as one can hope for (if one hopes for such a thing). Be prepared for a LONG drive to Old Town Scottsdale if you just want to hang out. You'll probably do it 3-4 times then hang out in downtown PHX because its much closer.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:39 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Surprise? Its the vanilla Phoenix suburb. What else can we say? Its about as plain Jane as one can hope for (if one hopes for such a thing). Be prepared for a LONG drive to Old Town Scottsdale if you just want to hang out. You'll probably do it 3-4 times then hang out in downtown PHX because its much closer.
Not everyone goes to Old Town Scottsdale on a regular basis, so I wouldn't base that as a reason to not live in Surprise. I have lived here 3 years and have been there about 5 times (2 of those were for work events)! I can't say I have ever gone there to just "hang out."

Old 11-22-2016, 09:25 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Not everyone goes to Old Town Scottsdale on a regular basis, so I wouldn't base that as a reason to not live in Surprise. I have lived here 3 years and have been there about 5 times (2 of those were for work events)! I can't say I have ever gone there to just "hang out."
The OP asked "Am I probably going to drive to downtown or across to Scottsdale to go out to cool bars and malls and restaurants?"

I said Old Town is quite the haul from Surprise, and after a few trips the OP might decide its ultimately not worth that huge cruise.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:51 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
The OP asked "Am I probably going to drive to downtown or across to Scottsdale to go out to cool bars and malls and restaurants?"

I said Old Town is quite the haul from Surprise, and after a few trips the OP might decide its ultimately not worth that huge cruise.
As others have suggested, there are other places to go besides Scottsdale. I think a mistake a lot of people make when they move, or at least an assumption they make, is that Scottsdale is the be-all-end-all-only-place-to-be because that is what they have heard. It's like thinking Los Angeles is JUST Hollywood.

The valley has lots of places one can go for a night out, cool bars or restaurants, or just to "hang out".

In reality, Surprise is a long haul from almost everywhere in the valley! According to Google maps it is roughly 40 miles to Old Town and 30 miles to downtown Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area