Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:50 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,492,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I got pulled over and got a ticket for going 4 over when I was 18 years old, on the 202 Red Mountain near the Dobson exit. But because it was only 4 over, the DPS officer wrote the ticket as "failure to obey a traffic control device", with the speed limit sign being the traffic control device. That way, it would be harder to get it dismissed. I had to go to traffic school so it wouldn't go on my license

That was a while ago, back then the 202 only went to Country Club, and the 51 and 101 weren't finished yet
Unlucky you!

Kind of an odd ticket technique but I haven't got a ticket in so long I haven't the slightest if that's a common technique.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:25 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,852,098 times
I think traffic is getting bad here, commuting wise. It's getting better now that the summer heat is coming back but nonetheless in the winter time it is terrible, IMO. If you can, if you get a job here try to pick a reverse commute as much as possible, you will save so much of your time. Right now it takes me about 30-45 minutes to drive thirteen miles in the mornings and a bit longer in the afternoons. It was an hour in January, both ways.

A/C bills and apartments are always increasing. If you look at apartments try to live on the lowest floor possible, you will save on A/C and rent. 1 bedrooms I have seen in decent areas are going for at minimum $800/month. Luxury apartments, which is all that they are building these days, are at minimum $1000/month for a one bedroom. I suggest looking at renting a house and getting roommates, you will save a ton of money. The people I know making under ~$20/hour are pretty much having to do this to get by with money to save and stuff still. Of course, if you are single and make even more, then you get to save even more money, it's worth it. Right now homes are a sellers market here in Phoenix.

As far as regarding speeding, Phoenicians are speed demons. I would know cause I am one also. And if they are not they are snowbirds. There have been times where I was driving on the 51 during lunch time in the work week and the average speed (you know go with the flow of traffic) was 75-80 miles per hour. I believe the 51 is 65 or maybe 55 if it's like the I-17, can't remember off the top of my head. Don't ever be the fastest person on your stretch of the road, but the second fastest. Cops usually speed too, though things change towards the end of the month so they can reach their ticket quotas.

Since you seem like a young person, do NOT live in West Valley. It sucks for young people out here. All the fun stuff is in Scottsdale and Tempe. If you were a middle-aged man with a family, I'd recommend West Valley as housing is more affordable. But if you are young and want a social life, do not live out here.

That's all I have to say on that.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:10 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,787,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I doubt that, you must have been doing something different to grab the attention of the police officer. AZ generally allows up to a 10% discrepancy for speedometer errors. And it's rare for an officer to pull you over up to 9 miles over the limit unless you were reckless driving or violated some other traffic condition that warranted a stop.
If you got a ticket just for going 2 miles over the limit and contested it, the judge would probably throw out the ticket and reprimand the officer.
Now if it's a school zone violation and school is in session then most districts have a zero over the limit policy.

This was several years ago when I was living in Phoenix. It may be different now. The police used to set speed traps on the highway from Phoenix to Tucson. They would park an old vehicle with radar on the shoulder of the road before a curve . Around the curve were 2 or 3 police cars pulling people over. I was never caught in it because it just didn't look right so I slowed down. I got the ticket when a cop followed me. The speed limit was 60 and I was driving 62. He wrote it up at 62. I went to court and the judge threw it out.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:29 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,678,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I think traffic is getting bad here, commuting wise. It's getting better now that the summer heat is coming back but nonetheless in the winter time it is terrible, IMO. If you can, if you get a job here try to pick a reverse commute as much as possible, you will save so much of your time. Right now it takes me about 30-45 minutes to drive thirteen miles in the mornings and a bit longer in the afternoons. It was an hour in January, both ways.

A/C bills and apartments are always increasing. If you look at apartments try to live on the lowest floor possible, you will save on A/C and rent. 1 bedrooms I have seen in decent areas are going for at minimum $800/month. Luxury apartments, which is all that they are building these days, are at minimum $1000/month for a one bedroom. I suggest looking at renting a house and getting roommates, you will save a ton of money. The people I know making under ~$20/hour are pretty much having to do this to get by with money to save and stuff still. Of course, if you are single and make even more, then you get to save even more money, it's worth it. Right now homes are a sellers market here in Phoenix.

As far as regarding speeding, Phoenicians are speed demons. I would know cause I am one also. And if they are not they are snowbirds. There have been times where I was driving on the 51 during lunch time in the work week and the average speed (you know go with the flow of traffic) was 75-80 miles per hour. I believe the 51 is 65 or maybe 55 if it's like the I-17, can't remember off the top of my head. Don't ever be the fastest person on your stretch of the road, but the second fastest. Cops usually speed too, though things change towards the end of the month so they can reach their ticket quotas.

Since you seem like a young person, do NOT live in West Valley. It sucks for young people out here. All the fun stuff is in Scottsdale and Tempe. If you were a middle-aged man with a family, I'd recommend West Valley as housing is more affordable. But if you are young and want a social life, do not live out here.

That's all I have to say on that.
We have 3 freeways that are still 55mph

I-17 from the 10 Split up to Peoria Ave
AZ 51 from the mini stack up to Glendale Ave
AZ 143 for it's entirety

I still remember when AZ Loop 101 had a 55 limit within the Scottsdale city limits (from Shea up to Scottsdale Rd), when AZ Loop 202 had a 55 limit from the mini stack to 44th St, when I-10 had a 55 limit from Baseline Rd to 35th Ave, and when US 60 Superstition had a 55 limit from I-10 to Power Rd. It was in I think 2007 or so that a lot of valley speed limits were raised from 55 to 65

Old 03-18-2017, 04:55 PM

394 posts, read 344,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I've cited the statute before. Don't feel like digging. Impeding the flow of traffic is both illegal and dangerous. Not to mention uncourteous. Congested conditions are far more dangerous than flowing traffic, even if over the posted speed limit signs.
I've done it too... In court (several times) also AZ DPS and CHP DOT inspections... As well as more than one deposition from litigation... And facilitated audit from FMCSA...

You are out of your league on this one.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:59 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
I've done it too... In court (several times) also AZ DPS and CHP DOT inspections... As well as more than one deposition from litigation... And facilitated audit from FMCSA...

You are out of your league on this one.
Depositions, inspections and audits on left-lane hogs? Sure, I'll take your word for it. Meanwhile, either way, that adds no substance to your claim that driving along in the left lane when not passing is an acceptable practice, neither from a legal point of view nor simply one of common courtesy.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:05 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,852,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
We have 3 freeways that are still 55mph

I-17 from the 10 Split up to Peoria Ave
AZ 51 from the mini stack up to Glendale Ave
AZ 143 for it's entirety

I still remember when AZ Loop 101 had a 55 limit within the Scottsdale city limits (from Shea up to Scottsdale Rd), when AZ Loop 202 had a 55 limit from the mini stack to 44th St, when I-10 had a 55 limit from Baseline Rd to 35th Ave, and when US 60 Superstition had a 55 limit from I-10 to Power Rd. It was in I think 2007 or so that a lot of valley speed limits were raised from 55 to 65
Ah the 51 is a split, makes sense. Yeah the I-17 is like that too for some reason, I make my commute on that stretch every day. From Peoria down. The airport freeway doesn't really matter that much.

We might as well make speed limits 75, since that's the speed many Phoenicians like to go when it's not rush hour. Even on the sections where the speed limit is 55.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Depositions, inspections and audits on left-lane hogs? Sure, I'll take your word for it. Meanwhile, either way, that adds no substance to your claim that driving along in the left lane when not passing is an acceptable practice, neither from a legal point of view nor simply one of common courtesy.
Typical of you...

Re-read my posts... Please quote something that corroborates your nonsense.

In the mean time - pray you never see me in court... You're easy.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:13 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Typical of you...

Re-read my posts... Please quote something that corroborates your nonsense.

In the mean time - pray you never see me in court... You're easy.
Typical of me? Why the personal attack? I posted exactly what you claimed. We were arguing the legality of left-lane hogs and you claimed to have been involved in some sort of inspections and litigation presumably related to such. What nonsense are you referring to?

Court? What an odd threat. I don't know who you are so even if we did see each other in court, I would have no idea who you are. If I'm involved in litigation, it's likely for something well above your pay grade if you're the one doing some sort of highway lane inspection. I'm not worried.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:23 PM

^^^ why so angry?

BTW, if you want to post "exactly" as someone claims - quote it... Your drama is futile without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area