Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:34 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,474,107 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas has some nice suburban neighborhoods, ie Green Valley, Summerlin, and some parts in the far west, condos downtown or on the strip if one wants to be in the middle of all of that but overall it looks to be a bit more ragged in my eyes for lack of a better word vs the Phoenix metro. The Phoenix metro has more of a gloss, cleaner, just plain nicer in my view. And the highway/interstate/loop system doesn't even come close to the Phoenix metro which really shines here. We actually considered Las Vegas but we decided we like it best at a distance....fun to visit a few days/an easy 4 1/2 hour drive now then to hang out but it's nice to leave and live in the Phoenix metro and all it has to offer in comparison, just as a nice place to live.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:49 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,966,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Wrong.

Do you realize how ridiculous your contention is?... You truly think that it's illegal to drive the speed limit and impede a motorist driving faster than speed limit?...

How is breaking the speed limit it not illegal in your mind - but not moving over to allow someone to break the speed limit is illegal?

There is already a law regulating speed - any reference to "flow of traffic" will always be in consideration of maximum speed limit.

Let me guess, you're the kind of person that tells a judge your speeding citation is invalid because "you were going with the flow of traffic"
A. A person shall not drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the circumstances, conditions and actual and potential hazards then existing. A person shall control the speed of a vehicle as necessary to avoid colliding with any object, person, vehicle or other conveyance on, entering or adjacent to the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to exercise reasonable care for the protection of others.
ARS 28-701(A)

Speeding is a rebuttable presumption of unreasonableness.

You're impediment is a violation, my speeding is a rebuttable presumption of a violation, but varies under the circumstances.

Quote:
Driving over the posted speed limit merely creates a presumptive violation of the basic speed law, i.e., the legislature has expressed its intent that speeds in excess of the prima facie limits be considered evidence of speeds greater than are prudent and reasonable and that such driving upon a public highway, at such speed, endangers the life, limb or property of another.
State v. Rich

Quote:
‘One exceeding the prescribed speed must be given the opportunity to rebut such prima facie evidence and show if he can that under the particular circumstances he was not negligent. If such evidence be submitted it becomes a Jury question as to whether he was driving at a prudent and lawful speed
Ruiz v. Faulkner

Old 03-19-2017, 12:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Wrong.

Do you realize how ridiculous your contention is?... You truly think that it's illegal to drive the speed limit and impede a motorist driving faster than speed limit?...

How is breaking the speed limit it not illegal in your mind - but not moving over to allow someone to break the speed limit is illegal?

There is already a law regulating speed - any reference to "flow of traffic" will always be in consideration of maximum speed limit.

Let me guess, you're the kind of person that tells a judge your speeding citation is invalid because "you were going with the flow of traffic"
You don't have to be a legal scholar, which you clearly are not, to read the statute I posted and notice no reference to the posted speed limit. AZ is all about freedom, right? We don't need helmets on our bikes, can buy guns whenever we want and won't get harassed by the law when going with the flow of traffic, which is usually at least 5-10 mph over the posted limit. Courts understand that flowing traffic conditions are far safer than the congestion caused by those that don't drive in the proper lane, evidenced by the way the statute was written.

Also, see JG's post. I think you're a bit out of your league, pal.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:15 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,779,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Wrong.

28-721 - Driving on right side of roadway; driving on shoulder; exceptions

B. On all roadways, a person driving a vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall drive the vehicle in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Note that it doesn't mention anything about the speed limit. If you are impeding the flow of traffic in the left lane, you are in violation of the above.
Not sure about Arizona but it is definitely illegal in California to drive in the left lane if you are impeding traffic regardless of the speed.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Not sure about Arizona but it is definitely illegal in California to drive in the left lane if you are impeding traffic regardless of the speed.
That's the way the AZ statue reads above as well.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:04 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,526,226 times
Phx summer is longer & hotter than Vegas.

Vegas winter is colder than Phx.

The monsoon season is longer & prettier in Phx.

Windy days in Phx were almost non-existant. On those super hot summer days, when a nice cool breeze would feel o so nice? It won't happen. It is normal for the temps to be 100 degrees at 10pm during the deepest part of summer in Phx.

The wind does blow in Vegas. Sometimes it's a hot breeze, sometimes it's a cool one. It is rare that we have 100 degrees at 10pm. It happens, but not that often. Pretty much when the sun goes down, the temps drop.

O dear gawd - the cicadas! The were a constant, non-stop annoyance in Phx. You'd try to sleep in & those noisy bugs just wouldn't shut up. The exist in Vegas as wel, but they don't seem to be as...loud? Populated? I'm not sure what the right answer is, but they aren't THAT bad in Vegas.

Both locations you can drive ~10-15 mph over the speed limit & not get stopped. Which can also equate to - they both have agressive drivers!

The crash of 2008 dang near destroyed both towns. Vegas is recovering, I haven't been to Phx in a few years so I'm not sure how it's doing.

I lived in Phx during the 90s while going to college - there weren't many things to do for starving college students, at that time. Vegas, imo, has more things to do that are cheap for entertainment.

Both places you can take advantage of the 24 hr lifestyle - like shopping at midnight when the ice cream won't melt

Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,526,226 times
o one more thing! there is no DST in AZ granted, if you have friends & family in other states, you will always be in a quandary as to what time it is in their state.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:37 PM

32 posts, read 49,595 times
I am 38 and spent the first half of my life in the Phoenix area and the second of in Las Vegas (where I am currently).

As someone mentioned above, the #1 downside to phoenix is the sprawl. The length of Maricopa County would be like driving across an entire state. If you live in the SE part (Mesa/Gilbert) it could take you 2+ hours to get to the NW part (N. Scottsdale/Glendale/Surprise); where in LV, you could do a complete 360 degree circle around the entire perimeter of Henderson/LV area in that time. Driving around Maricopa County is a pain in the ass. And LV traffic is someone of the least congested of any city with over a million people. Phoenix on the other hand...

Weather is pretty much identically the same in Vegas as Phx.

Another negative about Maricopa County is Sheriff Arpaio. There are more cop cars and traffic cameras per capita than most (if not all) cities. I used to call Maricopa County a minimal security prison when it comes to driving. So not only do you need to drive a ****load there, there are cameras and cops watching you every mile or two.

As for Vegas...the #1 downside is it is such a transient city. People come and go. It is really difficult to build strong relationships of any kind here. It is also driven by really only one industry...tourism/entertainment. I worked in the nightclub industry here for over 10 years. Because of that I do have a lot of relationships here and it is more of my "home" than the Phx area ever was. But would I move here at 36 for the first time....I doubt it. Vegas is a rough place to live as a single man in his mid to late 30s. This is a young persons city, a couples city, and a retiree city...not much in between.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:52 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,474,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfraser04 View Post
I am 38 and spent the first half of my life in the Phoenix area and the second of in Las Vegas (where I am currently).

As someone mentioned above, the #1 downside to phoenix is the sprawl. The length of Maricopa County would be like driving across an entire state. If you live in the SE part (Mesa/Gilbert) it could take you 2+ hours to get to the NW part (N. Scottsdale/Glendale/Surprise); where in LV, you could do a complete 360 degree circle around the entire perimeter of Henderson/LV area in that time. Driving around Maricopa County is a pain in the ass. And LV traffic is someone of the least congested of any city with over a million people. Phoenix on the other hand...

Weather is pretty much identically the same in Vegas as Phx.

Another negative about Maricopa County is Sheriff Arpaio. There are more cop cars and traffic cameras per capita than most (if not all) cities. I used to call Maricopa County a minimal security prison when it comes to driving. So not only do you need to drive a ****load there, there are cameras and cops watching you every mile or two.

As for Vegas...the #1 downside is it is such a transient city. People come and go. It is really difficult to build strong relationships of any kind here. It is also driven by really only one industry...tourism/entertainment. I worked in the nightclub industry here for over 10 years. Because of that I do have a lot of relationships here and it is more of my "home" than the Phx area ever was. But would I move here at 36 for the first time....I doubt it. Vegas is a rough place to live as a single man in his mid to late 30s. This is a young persons city, a couples city, and a retiree city...not much in between.
Population wise, Phoenix metro traffic is actually low compared to many other metros:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...ong-major.html

And look where Las Vegas is on this list.....Las Vegas is 14 on this rating and Phoenix is 43. Higher number is better, less congestion. Of course this is only one rating but other ratings using other metrics also rate the Phoenix metro very well in regards to congestion.

Most people don't need to drive the entire length of Maricopa county. And many people live close to work and each city has everything/anything retail and living wise needed so driving across Maricopa county isn't needed for the vast majority of people.

It sounds like you haven't been keeping up to date on things as Sheriff Joe lost the election last November. And there are no traffic cameras on the interstates anymore. Only a few cities have them in select areas in the Phoenix metro and many are considering getting rid of them completely. If you drive the speed limit and don't run red lights, cameras and police are a non issue for people.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:59 PM

14 posts, read 55,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
3 1/2? If you go 90mph maybe. The quickest I've done the drive non stop is 4h15mins, going the speed limit. And in my semi-tractor, I've done the drive anywhere from 4 1/2 to 5 hrs non stop, depending on how heavy of a load I have
Lol. I was thinking the same thing? 3 1/2 hrs??? An average of around 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area