Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Phoenix Area Urban, Suburban, Rural or something else?
Urban: Yes, Phoenix is a real deal CITY 19 25.68%
Suburban: No, Phoenix is a well planned city, but not quite a CITY as in URBAN 49 66.22%
Rural: No, Phoenix has a long way to go before it feels city 1 1.35%
Other: Please explain 5 6.76%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:34 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times

Advertisements

Downtown Phoenix is a portion of Phoenix, but not the cut itself which definitely had a suburban layout. It is not a very urban city.

That doesn't make it any less of a city though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 02:23 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Downtown had height restrictions due to sky harbor airport. Even if there was a desire to go taller, they wouldn't. A few years back they were pushing further restrictions and there have been numerous dust ups with Tempe and Phoenix over buildings throughout the years. Our heat pushes more concern here as well as the hot air is less dense and requires more power to get off the ground. The aviation concern is losing add engine or something similar during takeoff
Nothing but excuses! The heat isn't even relevant to the height of buildings. If you truly believe that the weather is one of the reasons to not build taller, then large cities in cold climates should have restricted their buildings' heights because it actually becomes colder the higher up you go, and that would require more power to heat the inside of the buildings. New York and Chicago have skyscrapers well over 1,000 feet tall despite their cold winter climates, and construction crews were able to build them with no problem despite all the inclement weather they get back there. Phoenix would have an advantage as far as the construction of more highrises: very little inclement weather to stand in the way.

Regarding the aviation excuse, you can blame the FAA for helping to put those restrictions in place, despite the fact that tall buildings have very little impact on takeoffs & landings, especially when downtown Phoenix and Tempe aren't exactly right on top of Sky Harbor. San Diego's downtown area is a lot closer to their airport than Phoenix's, and yet San Diego has managed to erect a decent skyline consisting of buildings even taller than ours despite their height restrictions.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:32 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I can't believe 6 people didn't think Phoenix is Suburban in nature
I can't believe anyone is still talking about this. Seriously! We should be talking about the weather or something important like that!

Old 06-15-2017, 02:53 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Slow down and read again

The heat is part of the FAA reasoning for pushing restrictions. It is also part of the reason why heavier planes/cargo do not fly here.

Those aren't separate issues, they are the same - there have been numerous projects killed under the pressure of the FAA, especially in Tempe, with many more being modified in both cities. Not excuses, reality.

Flight paths are a constant issue out here. Recent modifications impacted the historic districts.

San Diego has the benefit of being able to run a flight path over the ocean and are still restricted to a 500' building height. Theirs aren't really taller by much at the top end, there is just more of them - which is reflective of their geographic constraints and much higher property values and building costs.

The current reality is that we aren't going to be tall, which is fine.

Continue with the infill, diversified use and build improved access and infrastructure around that growth. Going tall for ego or for just the sake of doing it doesn't make sense

Old 06-15-2017, 07:05 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
I can't believe 6 people didn't think Phoenix is Suburban in nature
I was one of the six. New York City and Singapore are not the be all definition of urban. I grew up in a suburb in Upstate NY, and Phoenix is a hell of a lot more dense and urban than that. My census tract has a population density of 16,400ppsm, and my ZIP code has a population density of 8,800ppsm. That is urban, I'm sorry.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:31 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I was one of the six. New York City and Singapore are not the be all definition of urban. I grew up in a suburb in Upstate NY, and Phoenix is a hell of a lot more dense and urban than that. My census tract has a population density of 16,400ppsm, and my ZIP code has a population density of 8,800ppsm. That is urban, I'm sorry.
Phoenix is automobile oriented suburbanville. I know you live in that area by I-17 with all the apartments, but there's also an abundance of surface parking there, and the area is bounded by single family detached housing.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Phoenix is automobile oriented suburbanville. I know you live in that area by I-17 with all the apartments, but there's also an abundance of surface parking there, and the area is bounded by single family detached housing.
I live right off the light rail line, halfway between the Glendale and Montebello stops

Old 06-15-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Even San Francisco has detached houses in the city/county limits. Again, it seems you are thinking anything less than Taipei, Singapore or Manhattan is "suburbanville"

Old 06-15-2017, 08:00 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Even San Francisco has detached houses in the city/county limits. Again, it seems you are thinking anything less than Taipei, Singapore or Manhattan is "suburbanville"
LOL don't try to compare Phoenix to SF. It's suburban, just embrace it. One of the things I like is that I can go to a restaurant and find decent parking and don't have to drive 5 blocks away to parallel park somewhere. I like driving and having open space and yards with pools etc. It's not a knock on Phoenix, it's just calling it what it is.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:39 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times
Quote:
I'm not commenting at all on Atlanta, I am talking about the City of Phoenix. Downtown is Quasi Urban but Phoenix as a whole is suburban in nature, no doubt about it. Downtown Phoenix itself has a lot of work to do in terms of walkability, with still lots of dead zones, and lots of buildings that don't work well with pedestrians. From a planning perspective (and I was an undergrad Urban Planning major) it is very suburban/automobile oriented.
Quasi urban? See what I mean about the definition, there isn't one. It's an opinion and that's about it, to me Phoenix has a great mix of urban options and should keep improving them, which it is. As far as I'm concerned a city with prices like SF and NY might as well not even exist, it's like visiting Disneyland, you can go but you can't afford to stay there too long. That's completely out of touch with reality for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area