Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 08:50 PM

296 posts, read 365,012 times

Advertisements

Back when I actually had the energy I would sometimes go to two stores back to back in the summer for various reasons. I can remember once putting the one cold item I had from the first store in my purse while I shopped at the second. I also have gone home after the first store and run all the cold things inside (that were carefully packed separately) and then going to the second. One thing that I didn't think to bring inside was a head of leaf lettuce. It was completely wilted by the time I got home. Actually, we've taken to only buy iceburg (bleck) in the summer time since the other lettuce seems to go bad too quickly. Anyone else have that problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 09:20 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,776,354 times
Keep your car cool by parking in shade and have the sunshade up and it'll be okay.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:37 PM

640 posts, read 959,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Ok, if you want to make fun of me for asking, I deserve it..

We're moving out there in a few weeks, and I am sure that it will be 100-120 degrees every day when we first move out there. My question is a simple one; how do you go to the grocery store, and get the frozen stuff/dairy/perishables home without everything being ruined?

It looks like I have several grocery stores within 15 minutes or less from my house, which, doesn't leave much time for the AC in the car to cool it down, and I am sure that when we walk out of the store, and get into our 150 degree or hotter car, all the cold/frozen stuff will start to melt immediately..

Do you guys bring coolers to the store, buy special cold insulated bags, have someone start the car ahead of time and get the AC going, then load the car up, or some other way?

I know its probably silly to ask, but, having perishables exposed to 120-160 degree outside air/inside car temps may be an issue this time of year when it comes to grocery shopping..

Or, am I just a fool, and its no big deal having that stuff in your hot car for 15 minutes or so?

In Chicago, its no big deal, since its never over 95 degrees outside, and the car cools down within 5-10 minutes or so..

thanks, and flame away!
It will be 110 for about 5 minutes at 4pm. Just go to the grocery store either before noon or after 7pm and you will be fine.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:09 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,328,321 times
Quote:

We're moving out there in a few weeks, and I am sure that it will be 100-120 degrees every day when we first move out there. My question is a simple one; how do you go to the grocery store, and get the frozen stuff/dairy/perishables home without everything being ruined?

It looks like I have several grocery stores within 15 minutes or less from my house, which, doesn't leave much time for the AC in the car to cool it down, and I am sure that when we walk out of the store, and get into our 150 degree or hotter car, all the cold/frozen stuff will start to melt immediately..

Do you guys bring coolers to the store, buy special cold insulated bags, have someone start the car ahead of time and get the AC going, then load the car up, or some other way?

In Chicago, its no big deal, since its never over 95 degrees outside, and the car cools down within 5-10 minutes or so..

thanks, and flame away!

When I lived in Chicago, I always kept a cooler in the car, especially in the winter. During my lunch break, I would often shop at a fresh market and I did NOT want to see my produce freeze when it was below zero.

Often, I shop for items in Phoenix grocery stores (Winco Foods, AZ Marketplace) and take it back home 2.5 hours south. I carry two great coolers with either ice packets or a bag of ice.

Unless you are on the road for more than 30 minutes, I would put the perishables in a cooler without ice.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:18 PM

550 posts, read 1,128,785 times
We have a fridge in the car when we go to Costco and buy a lot of meat. We also have an insulated bag where we put ice in it before leaving home. Some grocery stores will also give you ice for your cold stuff if you ask.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:23 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,746,112 times
Quote:
lots of good ideas here
I'll be between happy valley road and jomax, about 5 miles west of 17, and so far I have found frys, Safeway, and 2 wal marts within 15 minutes of my house, so you guys are probably right about it not being a big deal

insulated shopping bags and coolers sound like the way to go though
I've never used insulated bags, I just head home after the store and it's fine. It's not like your milk will spoil if it's outside for 10 minutes. If you're really worried just go to the store in the morning or after work, it's not 120 for 24 hours a day, it's a few hours a day for a few days a year. We get about 20 or so total above 110 a year. For me that's like 4 grocery store trips and it's never mid-day, usually 7pm on week nights when the sun is setting.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:24 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,746,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
We have a fridge in the car when we go to Costco and buy a lot of meat. We also have an insulated bag where we put ice in it before leaving home. Some grocery stores will also give you ice for your cold stuff if you ask.
What? How did you get a fridge in your car?

Old 06-14-2017, 10:35 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,714,444 times
We shop after 8pm in the evening (not so crowded either) and also carry insulated coolers for the cold stuff.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:43 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
That's some straight up Buckeye stuff right there!

Old 06-15-2017, 04:24 AM

700 posts, read 921,457 times
When I lived in AZ, some people had coolers in their trunks for food shopping; but I never did. If I had to go during the day, it usually worked out ok since I lived in town; but my strategy for pretty much everything in the hot season was to go at night. Desert summer nights are fantastic anyway.

I had an air conditioned office I clung to during the day, and that made lunch a nice time to go out and warm up for a while, haha. I admit I did love the heat, so "experiences may vary." :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area