Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 06:58 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times

Advertisements

Ok, if you want to make fun of me for asking, I deserve it..

We're moving out there in a few weeks, and I am sure that it will be 100-120 degrees every day when we first move out there. My question is a simple one; how do you go to the grocery store, and get the frozen stuff/dairy/perishables home without everything being ruined?

It looks like I have several grocery stores within 15 minutes or less from my house, which, doesn't leave much time for the AC in the car to cool it down, and I am sure that when we walk out of the store, and get into our 150 degree or hotter car, all the cold/frozen stuff will start to melt immediately..

Do you guys bring coolers to the store, buy special cold insulated bags, have someone start the car ahead of time and get the AC going, then load the car up, or some other way?

I know its probably silly to ask, but, having perishables exposed to 120-160 degree outside air/inside car temps may be an issue this time of year when it comes to grocery shopping..

Or, am I just a fool, and its no big deal having that stuff in your hot car for 15 minutes or so?

In Chicago, its no big deal, since its never over 95 degrees outside, and the car cools down within 5-10 minutes or so..

thanks, and flame away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
It's not a big deal for the amount of time it is exposed when the car is cooling...... I do tend to grab frozen items last

Although we've done our main shopping online for the past few months and they just load it up at the store

Old 06-14-2017, 07:24 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

Do you guys bring coolers to the store, buy special cold insulated bags
I've done both. Trader Joe's sells really nice insulated bags with a special pocket for a gel ice pack.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
It's no big deal. Unless you're moving to the boonies you'll have grocery stores much closer than 15 minutes away. I've never seen a place with so many. I have five within spitting distance.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:50 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
No biggie. Just go right home after shopping. You will be fine.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:09 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
As has been said, you'll be fine in most cases. We often times take a cooler to put frozen items in so they don't start to thaw on the way home. Buy a bag of ice at the store and load the stuff in the cooler.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:15 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
how did anyone do it before? They went straight home from the store.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:17 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
We have 2 large insulated shopping bags we bought at the grocery checkout.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:28 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
lots of good ideas here
I'll be between happy valley road and jomax, about 5 miles west of 17, and so far I have found frys, Safeway, and 2 wal marts within 15 minutes of my house, so you guys are probably right about it not being a big deal

insulated shopping bags and coolers sound like the way to go though

Old 06-14-2017, 08:49 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,762,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Ok, if you want to make fun of me for asking, I deserve it..

We're moving out there in a few weeks, and I am sure that it will be 100-120 degrees every day when we first move out there. My question is a simple one; how do you go to the grocery store, and get the frozen stuff/dairy/perishables home without everything being ruined?

It looks like I have several grocery stores within 15 minutes or less from my house, which, doesn't leave much time for the AC in the car to cool it down, and I am sure that when we walk out of the store, and get into our 150 degree or hotter car, all the cold/frozen stuff will start to melt immediately..

Do you guys bring coolers to the store, buy special cold insulated bags, have someone start the car ahead of time and get the AC going, then load the car up, or some other way?

I know its probably silly to ask, but, having perishables exposed to 120-160 degree outside air/inside car temps may be an issue this time of year when it comes to grocery shopping..

Or, am I just a fool, and its no big deal having that stuff in your hot car for 15 minutes or so?

In Chicago, its no big deal, since its never over 95 degrees outside, and the car cools down within 5-10 minutes or so..

thanks, and flame away!
I guess it all really depends on how long it takes one to go from grocery store to home. If im running an errand and stop off for gas after I get groceries (simply because getting gas after grocery shopping is easier to get out of the parking lot. Making a right vs making a left in heavy traffic) I'll take a cooler with me. In your case, 15 minutes can be bad on dairy, chicken and pork products. While I've never gotten food poisoning from groceries spoiling in transit, why risk it. Or, grocery shop early early mornings or late afternoon if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area