Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 12:14 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Quoting myself here now that it's announced.

This is the type of place I definitely won't be stepping foot in. Same with WinCo Foods, no interest. Give me Sprouts and Fry's and I'm set. If anything I'd like to see some out of area upscale markets open locations here but that's likely not going to happen once garbage like Aldi oversaturates the market.
I've never been in one myself, but people from Chicago that I know rave about these Aldi stores. With the warehouse they are putting up in Goodyear, it seems likely there will be many more around the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 12:24 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,814 times
one big difference with Aldi is there are no national brands here 99% of the time; you might actually find that you like some of these smaller brands alot more than the national brands..plus, since there is no advertising, no shelf placement fees, and non sense like that, prices are around 20-50% less than the national brands...

its worth checking out once, and obviously, if you dont like it, you dont go back, but I think most folks will be surprised at how many products they will actually prefer over national brands.

dont forget to bring your own bags, 25 cents to "rent" a cart, and cash or debit card, since generally credit cards arent accepted..

Old 04-15-2018, 12:35 PM

69 posts, read 77,146 times
Heard amazing things about them can't wait

Old 04-15-2018, 01:10 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,085 times
They opened one up 8 years ago in MA and I went there a few times but personally I didn't care for it. I'm all for trying some no name brands to save money but found I didn't care for most of theirs. Also I noticed the times I bought milk there it spoiled with 3 days and their produce was meh. My girlfriend lives in walking distance to one in Chicago and only goes there for a few quick things if she forgot them them on her regular trip elsewhere. Honestly if you follow the sales at Frys and the other stores you can get name brand products for the same or less than Aldi. I'd bet their produce will be much better here as it's locally grown or close by in CA or MX than having to be shipped across the country.

There's a proposed Aldi store here in Goodyear by the Walmart on Estrella/Roosevelt.

http://www.goodyearaz.gov/home/showdocument?id=20453

Winco is supposed to open here too,but no set date yet. They already own a plot on the corner of Estrella/McDowell. I can't wait for this to open as I love their bulk area and they always have good everyday prices on most things.

https://maps.mcassessor.maricopa.gov...er=0&exprnum=0

Old 04-15-2018, 01:15 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,279 times
Anyone remember Fresh and Easy?
That's the same fate I imagine an Aldi's would have here. There is just too much competition.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:20 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,814 times
I found that some stores in Chicagoland were better than others, so who knows what it will be like here..
Produce will be better out here for sure, since , as you said, they source locally, and coming from AZ or CA, it should be very fresh.
They also would have a few "general mdse" items, like tools/clothes/or other things, sometimes name brands for incredible prices on their weekly sales.

We'll see when they open; I doubt I will travel all the way to Goodyear to check it out from here in Northwest Phoenix, but, I bet they will open a few stores pretty quickly, as it wouldn't do much to establish their brand identity in a new city by only having one store for very long..

Old 04-15-2018, 03:45 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,019 times
Dude. I heard so many great things about aldis. I am so excited

Old 04-15-2018, 03:50 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Anyone remember Fresh and Easy?
That's the same fate I imagine an Aldi's would have here. There is just too much competition.
Fresh and Easy was a failure everywhere it was (California, Nevada and Arizona). Fresh and Easy had been around for all of six years when it closed.

Aldi has been in this country for more than 40 years and is in multiple states. There is no reason to believe it won't do well here.

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/2...sing-upheaval/

^^ An article from the OC Register attributing the presence of Aldi to a drop in the price of grocery items in Southern California grocery stores.

Last edited by new2colo; 04-15-2018 at 03:59 PM..

Old 04-15-2018, 05:27 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
What a great and well written article linked in the post above. I was a resident of Orange County until last November and watched the Aldi rollout and the impact it immediately had on local grocery stores. It was a much bigger deal than you would otherwise imagine.

I've known about Aldi stores for over 40 years since I lived in Germany in the 1970s. Aldi is a huge German based corporation with 2 divisions, Aldi North and Aldi South. Together they operate over 10,000 grocery stores in 20+ countries.

In the US, Aldi North owns all Trader Joe's and Aldi South owns & operates over 1700 grocery stores. The Aldi stores in the US have a lot in common with the 475 Trader Joes in the way they feature house brand products at good prices. Aldi has been successful in every other area of the US that they have expanded to, and there is little doubt Aldi will carve out a big chunk of the Phx area grocery market place within the next year or so.

Last edited by recycled; 04-15-2018 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-15-2018, 06:56 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So it looks like Aldi is coming here after all. They announced the first AZ store in Buckeye.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...019/512691002/
That's awesome news! Too bad it's almost on California! Hopefully they will build many more all over the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area