Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 03:16 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Maybe you were not aware that there is an entire city between the 303 and Sun Valley Pkwy? There are two cities between the 303 and the 101.

You really have no idea what you're talking about and your trip down the I10 when you're going to California, Mexico or Las Vegas doesn't make you a west valley expert. There is much you can't see from the I10, just as there is when you travel freeways in the east valley.
There's no city between the 303 and Sun Valley Parkway (Edit: Unless you're referring to Buckeye, which I'm aware is there). There's small, unincorporated parts of Maricopa County such as Wadell, etc. I am an active real estate investor in the valley, I know every corner and have been in most subdivisions in all areas of the valley. I have flipped properties as far West as Tartesso in recent years. I've been in Canyon Trails and Estrella, Palm Valley, Rancho Santa Fe, Sundance, Verrado, almost every newer home community in Surprise, etc. You and the other poster defaulting to "you just don't know what you're talking about" is not correct, I speak from a place of knowledge and experience. I may not know where the best pizzeria is near the 303, but I know the housing stock very well. The 303 is on the edge of town for most in the valley, with the exception of those that live nearby and are for some reason offended. It's simply where suburban meets rural right now, same as the Eastmark area IMO. In 10 years it likely won't be, but I'm talking about what IS.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:20 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
There's no city between the 303 and Sun Valley Parkway (Edit: Unless you're referring to Buckeye, which I'm aware is there). There's small, unincorporated parts of Maricopa County such as Wadell, etc. I am an active real estate investor in the valley, I know every corner and have been in most subdivisions in all areas of the valley. I have flipped properties as far West as Tartesso in recent years. I've been in Canyon Trails and Estrella, Palm Valley, Rancho Santa Fe, Sundance, Verrado, almost every newer home community in Surprise, etc. You and the other poster defaulting to "you just don't know what you're talking about" is not correct, I speak from a place of knowledge and experience. I may not know where the best pizzeria is near the 303, but I know the housing stock very well. The 303 is on the edge of town for most in the valley, with the exception of those that live nearby and are for some reason offended. It's simply where suburban meets rural right now, same as the Eastmark area IMO. In 10 years it likely won't be, but I'm talking about what IS.
Of course I'm referring to Buckeye as that is the city that sits between the 303 and Sun Valley Pkwy.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Of course I'm referring to Buckeye as that is the city that sits between the 303 and Sun Valley Pkwy.
Yeah I'm aware it's there. I mean they've annexed all that land but all that's really there is Verrado, Jackrabbit Estates and the stuff in the NW Valley like Sun City Festival. What percent of Buckeye would you say is built out, maybe 5-7% at the most?

Old 08-04-2017, 03:39 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm aware it's there. I mean they've annexed all that land but all that's really there is Verrado, Jackrabbit Estates and the stuff in the NW Valley like Sun City Festival. What percent of Buckeye would you say is built out, maybe 5-7% at the most?
The city sits on both sides of the I10 between the 303 and Sun Valley Pkwy. Most of the built out portion is south of the I10 between the 303 and Sun Valley Pkwy. You don't sound like you know much about this even though you're such a well versed west valley house flipper.

There is a mountain and the largest regional park in the county between the 303 and Sun Valley Pkwy to the north of the I10 which takes up a lot of that space. Maybe you have heard of it, White Tank Mountain?

Old 08-04-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
The city sits on both sides of the I10 between the 303 and Sun Valley Pkwy. Most of the built out portion is south of the I10 between the 303 and Sun Valley Pkwy. You don't sound like you know much about this even though you're such a well versed west valley house flipper.
I mentioned I've been in Sundance, and I know the old part of buckeye is South of I-10. Do you really think it is highly built out North and South of I-10 between 303 and sun valley parkway? I'm talking factually here, it is not, there's still miles and miles of vacant land between the neighborhoods. Insult my business if you want, I'm simply speaking factually.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:09 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:

There is a mountain and the largest regional park in the county between the 303 and Sun Valley Pkwy to the north of the I10 which takes up a lot of that space. Maybe you have heard of it, White Tank Mountain?
Don't forget Skyline Regional Park either. It's 9000 acres. White Tanks is 30,000 acres. Between that and WT Park they eat up a huge part of the land west of the 303 and limit westward development. The land to the west of Citrus and Perryville is pretty somewhat developed (pockets south and then more up by Camelback). It is low density, though, with acreage and irrigated homesites as well. There are a lot of homes in the $600K plus range in there. The east side of of the 303 is empty up to about Northern where it begins to fill in. The more southern part is really close to Luke. I don't know if maybe there are sound or other restrictions there, but most of the activity around Camelback, Glendale etc and the 303 seems to be either ag or new warehouses.

As for commercial, it comes in around Waddell. There's all the usual suburban stuff from there north - especially around Bell. From the 303 to the 101 is wall to wall strip malls and traffic lights. If you did not know better you would swear you are in Chandler.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:39 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
It matters not how fast you can get somewhere "with no traffic" (I made it to the D-Backs game 21 minutes garage to chase field garage on a Saturday, but that's not with traffic). What matters is that it is on the edge of town. About 95%++ of the land between the 303 West to the Sun Valley Pkwy is vacant land, much of the land East of the 303 between it and the 101 is vacant land (I would venture a guess of 40% at least). It is way out there on the edge of town. There is nothing West of the 303 of significance (yet), no movie theaters or entertainment options, no employment other than a few prisons and retail. Most of the valley has grown East, so the center of employment and entertainment in the valley is really East of downtown. In every sense of the word, the 303 is in the "boonies" as it definitely is on the outer edge of civilization. Sure there are things slightly to the East, but nothing really on the other side
I will say, I have zero interest in going to a D-Backs game. I've been to about 30 total professional games in my life and 95% of them were free tickets. I go to a movie theater once every 3-4 years. I have a top tier ATMOS movie theater in each house that will annihilate commercial movie theaters. Also, I don't have to drive to work. My "sales calls" are walking around the neighborhood on the phone or in the backyard. I'm not alone.

If I had to drive a long way to work or if I was irrational and passionate about a professional sport enough to buy season tickets, I would want to be closer in (where I know ZERO players that are from other parts of the country and the team will leave if they get a higher price to move; I digress). But most of Chandler and Gilbert IMHO is vanilla (yes, there are some great parts too). For that matter, much of Chandler is in fact, at the "outer edge". All things being equal, I would LOVE to live in DC Ranch. But the HOA is $400+ a months and it would cost me 2.5x more per square foot. Plus, the taxes would follow. As for now, it's not that important. I won't be surprised if I eventually buy in Scottsdale. We have been looking at DC Ranch and other developments. MY motivation is sometimes you need to buy your way into a better class of people and I will leave it at that. Also, topography (eye candy) and well maintained neighborhoods are worth a certain price to me. In hind site, maybe I should have picked Goodyear and specifically Estella.

As for the "outer edge of civilization" statement. There are 125,000 people just in Surprise and growing. They have doctors, lawyers, state and local employees, dentists, retailers, small business owners, small manufacturing etc. Of course there are jobs. Plus there are people like me and you who don't have to drive to work. I'm not saying I don't see the attributes of Chandler. But all things being equal, I'd rather be in Scottsdale of PV. It's not as simple as eastside versus westside. And at the end of the day and because of the summers, even Scottsdale isn't "all that".

Old 08-05-2017, 08:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I will say, I have zero interest in going to a D-Backs game. I've been to about 30 total professional games in my life and 95% of them were free tickets. I go to a movie theater once every 3-4 years. I have a top tier ATMOS movie theater in each house that will annihilate commercial movie theaters. Also, I don't have to drive to work. My "sales calls" are walking around the neighborhood on the phone or in the backyard. I'm not alone.

If I had to drive a long way to work or if I was irrational and passionate about a professional sport enough to buy season tickets, I would want to be closer in (where I know ZERO players that are from other parts of the country and the team will leave if they get a higher price to move; I digress). But most of Chandler and Gilbert IMHO is vanilla (yes, there are some great parts too). For that matter, much of Chandler is in fact, at the "outer edge". All things being equal, I would LOVE to live in DC Ranch. But the HOA is $400+ a months and it would cost me 2.5x more per square foot. Plus, the taxes would follow. As for now, it's not that important. I won't be surprised if I eventually buy in Scottsdale. We have been looking at DC Ranch and other developments. MY motivation is sometimes you need to buy your way into a better class of people and I will leave it at that. Also, topography (eye candy) and well maintained neighborhoods are worth a certain price to me. In hind site, maybe I should have picked Goodyear and specifically Estella.

As for the "outer edge of civilization" statement. There are 125,000 people just in Surprise and growing. They have doctors, lawyers, state and local employees, dentists, retailers, small business owners, small manufacturing etc. Of course there are jobs. Plus there are people like me and you who don't have to drive to work. I'm not saying I don't see the attributes of Chandler. But all things being equal, I'd rather be in Scottsdale of PV. It's not as simple as eastside versus westside. And at the end of the day and because of the summers, even Scottsdale isn't "all that".
Just as a FWIW, your home theater won't beat Harkins Estrella Falls "CineOne". ATMOS w/100+ speakers and a 53 foot screen,reserved recliner seating.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Ha! That's exactly why we went, free tickets (plus one of the days was bobblehead day). We got into a luxury suite on Saturday and on Sunday got row 2 between home plate and the dugout. My sons being a club baseball player and the other a player just starting out it was more for them and not something we would do more than a handful of times either.

Some people are taking exception to the edge of town comment, but it is what it is. There's areas of Chandler, Scottsdale, Peoria etc that I would also call the edge of town, I agree.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:49 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Just as a FWIW, your home theater won't beat Harkins Estrella Falls "CineOne". ATMOS w/100+ speakers and a 53 foot screen,reserved recliner seating.
I am extremely confident on my statement. Google JBL Synthesis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area