Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 06:00 PM

18 posts, read 19,777 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just got hired by a company in downtown Phoenix. I start in about one month. We've identified an area where we'd like to live, South Scottsdale or Camelback East. I was looking at apartments, and their corresponding reviews, and they were less than stellar. I got to thinking that why don't we (my wife, infant, and myself) rent a townhome or condo. They seem like they're a much better bang for your buck, and seem more preferable overall. The thing is, I'm a bit wary, putting the down payment and first months rent from the other side of the country. I have no desire to get scammed.

Is it typical to find a realtor and have them check out my list and see the properties for me? What would the fee be typically? Just trying to get my bearings here.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 06:21 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,622,662 times
You might be better off staying at an extended stay place, or a short-term rental from AirBnB or VRBO, and looking once you get to Phoenix. If you have to move stuff with you, get a storage unit for a month or two. I couldn't get anyone to return my calls so that's what I'm doing. That would also allow you to scope out the neighborhoods and get a feel for your commute before committing to a full lease.

Good thread commenting on the problem of trying to rent in advance from out of town:

Best way to locate a rental house in Mesa/Gilbert/Chandler

Old 09-19-2017, 11:22 PM

550 posts, read 1,128,091 times
I agree it would be better for you to stay in an extended stay place for a short term. You want to see the place you are renting before putting down a deposit and first month rent. You might not like what the real estate agent rents for you. I don't know what the fee for the realtor would be. Would need to ask my daughter. All I know through her is that the nice apartments or houses for rent are going fast.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:47 AM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,111,196 times
The Realtor fee is paid by the landlord.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:06 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
The Realtor fee is paid by the landlord.
And it's not enough to entice a realtor to show rental homes, let alone scope them out for you before you arrive.

Extended stay, Airbnb, or one of you flies out for a quick house hunting trip.

PS don't pay so much attention to online reviews of apt complexes. They are usually posted by unhappy tenants. The happy ones never bother to post.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:02 PM

576 posts, read 833,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
PS don't pay so much attention to online reviews of apt complexes. They are usually posted by unhappy tenants. The happy ones never bother to post.
Right, and probably 9 times out of 10, the tenant was at fault. But in today's society, everyone else is to blame!

Old 09-20-2017, 04:28 PM

18 posts, read 19,777 times
Thanks for the ideas. AirBnb isn't a bad choice, and we may have to go that route. Unfortunately, time won't permit us to fly there beforehand, though, that'd be ideal. Another thing I'm looking at is management companies that list houses. I feel there's a little more credibility, and am looking for a townhome or condo. Can anyone recommend any good management companies?

The reason I brought up the realtor idea, is that's what I did before when I moved to Miami. I used a realtor to help me find a place, sight unseen by me. It ended up working out, but that's very common practice in Miami, due to scamming being very prevalent there unfortunately. Was genuinely curious if that may work in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area