Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 04:03 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,329,597 times

Advertisements

Under Arizona law, a City can theoretically annex a neighboring Town.

If this ever were to happen, what do you think it would be like if Gilbert were to be annexed by Chandler or Mesa?

While politically Gilbert is more similar to Mesa, in terms of income and crime levels Gilbert is more similar to Chandler and I am not sure if many Gilbert residents would want to be associated with Mesa due to parts of Mesa being sketchy.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 09-20-2017 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 04:35 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,804 times
Excellent thread. I'm going to take some time to mull this one over and get back to you in a few days.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:46 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,446,240 times
Warren Petersen lives in Gilbert and represents the town in the state senate. He has already intervened in several local control issues completely unrelated to Gilbert (e.g. the proposed Roosevelt Row business improvement district in Phoenix). I suspect he and his allies in the legislature would not hesitate to intervene if Gilbert were ever to face the prospect of unwelcome annexation.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:30 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,969 times
How can a city annex a neighboring city? That sounds ridiculous. So one day Phoenix can decide it wants to annex Scottsdale and just declare Scottsdale as part of the city?

Old 09-20-2017, 08:01 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Let's make all towns Phoenix.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:35 PM

525 posts, read 539,207 times
Didn't Gilbert do this with Higley?

Old 09-20-2017, 09:15 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,329,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
How can a city annex a neighboring city? That sounds ridiculous. So one day Phoenix can decide it wants to annex Scottsdale and just declare Scottsdale as part of the city?
Cities cannot annex other cities in Arizona. Cities can annex towns, and two towns can also merge. Since Gilbert is still incorporated as a town and not a city, it can theoretically be annexed by Chandler or Mesa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Didn't Gilbert do this with Higley?
As far as I know Higley was never incorporated; it was an unincorporated community in Maricopa County.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:39 PM

107 posts, read 201,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
...and I am not sure if many Gilbert residents would want to be associated with Mesa due to parts of Mesa being sketchy.
Ha! What about Mesa residents not wanting anything to do with Gilbert?

Old 09-21-2017, 01:03 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Under Arizona law, a City can theoretically annex a neighboring Town.

If this ever were to happen, what do you think it would be like if Gilbert were to be annexed by Chandler or Mesa?

While politically Gilbert is more similar to Mesa, in terms of income and crime levels Gilbert is more similar to Chandler and I am not sure if many Gilbert residents would want to be associated with Mesa due to parts of Mesa being sketchy.
Please, let's not go there! Most Phoenix suburbs take up a massive amount of land area and have large populations as it is. Do you really want Mesa to take up over 200 square miles and have a population exceeding 700,000? I would much rather have smaller sized suburbs with each individual community having their own small municipal governments.

In fact, I've even said that Phoenix should have never annexed Ahwatukee, Deer Valley, Paradise Valley Village, or Desert Ridge. Those districts look and feel like separate suburbs and have little in common with the city. They should have self incorporated and separated from Phoenix's massive government control.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:41 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Please, let's not go there! Most Phoenix suburbs take up a massive amount of land area and have large populations as it is. Do you really want Mesa to take up over 200 square miles and have a population exceeding 700,000? I would much rather have smaller sized suburbs with each individual community having their own small municipal governments.

In fact, I've even said that Phoenix should have never annexed Ahwatukee, Deer Valley, Paradise Valley Village, or Desert Ridge. Those districts look and feel like separate suburbs and have little in common with the city. They should have self incorporated and separated from Phoenix's massive government control.
But those cities do a lot to increase the PHX image
-increases median income
-pays a lot in taxes
-Increases 4 year degree % by a lot

Phoenix would fare very poorly in ranking without those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area