Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 08:37 PM

23 posts, read 113,517 times

Advertisements

My company may be transferring me to our offices out in Scottsdale. What are the most realistic options in terms of commute times to/from Scottsdale each day?

I really wouldn't want to drive more than 30 minutes in each direction, since I'd really like to avoid driving more than an hour total each day. So, how far away in each direction could I possibly live and still maintain my sanity?

I'm making the assumption that it will be too expensive to live in Scottsdale itself, which seemed ot be true when my wife & I visited the area for my internal interview. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 10:16 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Scottsdale is so large (30 miles from top to bottom) that it is possible to have a 30-minute commute just from one point in Scottsdale to another. In order to receive meaningful replies to your question, please specify what part of Scottsdale (major cross streets) your office will be located at.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Scottsdale is so large (30 miles from top to bottom) that it is possible to have a 30-minute commute just from one point in Scottsdale to another. In order to receive meaningful replies to your question, please specify what part of Scottsdale (major cross streets) your office will be located at.
Thanks! My office would be in the Scottsdale Galleria, which is essentially across the street from the Scottsdale Fashion Square.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:40 PM

Okay. From there, I'd say a guaranteed 30-minute commuting radius includes the following areas:

Tempe
east side of Phoenix (Arcadia & North Central areas)
west Mesa
Town of Paradise Valley (much more expensive than Scottsdale itself)

iffy about Chandler -- it might be possible

I'd focus on the first two, but also don't count out the southern end of Scottsdale, which is more modestly priced than the portions north of your office.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
iffy about Chandler -- it might be possible
Rats. I was afraid you were going to say that. So, Gilbert is essentially out of the question, right?

My wife is going to be disappointed. She really liked some of the homes we saw out there.

You could never buy a nice, new home for anything near those prices anywhere close to DC. She almost died when we heard the incentive packages builders are offering now in that area.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, though! We commute an hour each way to/from work today, so trust me, the tradeoff is an easy one.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCMHer View Post
Rats. I was afraid you were going to say that. So, Gilbert is essentially out of the question, right?
Not really sure. There are others on this board who know Gilbert much better than I. Let's see what they have to say.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
In theory you should be able to get from most of north Mesa to downtown Scottsdale in less than a half hour. If you take a look at a map, you'll see that roads like Indian School, Thomas, McDowell, and McKellips all cut across the Indian reservation to Alma School and Country Club Rd. A lot of people do in fact drive across the Indian reservation to get to Scottsdale, but I can tell you the people who live on the reservation are NOT happy about it. Right now I know McKellips is blocked off at Alma School, and some of the other ones might be too. I can tell you the 101 heading north towards Scottsdale is extremely backed up up during the morning rush hour, and 101 south is backed up in the evening. Rural Rd/ Scottsdale Rd also frequently suffers from grid lock-- even during the non-rush hour times. McClintock/ Hayden gets a lot of traffic too, occasional gridlock, but it is usually better than the 101 or Scottsdale Rd (shhh... don't tell anybody about that! ).

What is it in particular that you are looking for-- newer housing? Everything west of downtown Scottsdale and pretty much everything south of it within a 30 minute radius is going to be older, 1950s-60s housing. Some of those neighborhoods are extremely nice, some of them not so hot. I've seen some 1950s era neighborhoods just a mile or two from downtown Scottsdale tucked away between Miller and Pima/101 that look dynamite. Of course, most people seem to want something more modern. Keep in mind, commute times are all relative. Commuting from Chandler or Gilbert to Scottsdale during rush hour will probably be more than 30 min one way, and it won't be fun; but it's exactly what thousands of people do every single day-- so if you wanted to you could join them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area