Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 03:46 PM

5 posts, read 12,678 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relo to Phx by year-end. My company has a Scottsdale office so I believe I should be able to transfer my position out there. But we are not interested in living in Scottsdale.

We fell in love with the Gilbert area when we are out there as well as the San Tan Valley.

But I am wondering what the commute would be like during rush hour from either of those places??

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 04:07 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,195 times
Scottsdale's very long and narrow, measured north to south. Much depends on the location of your office and where you move in Gilbert. San Tan Valley is even further out. The distance might be anywhere from 30 to 50 miles one way. The commute during rush hour could be as little as an hour 15 minutes, up to an hour 40 minutes or more (one way). It's not a commute many would willingly choose.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:14 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
yes, that can be a tough one....can you tell us where in Scotts. the office is?.....is it up at the Airpark?.....and will your commute be during normal 9-5 M-F times??....thanks

Old 05-28-2011, 05:51 PM

860 posts, read 2,715,529 times
My husband works in S Scottsdale, near Hayden, and we live in central West Gilbert. It's about 25 mins without traffic, up to 45 w/ accidents during rush hour. Usually 35 minutes in rush hour. If you love Gilbert, then stay N of the 202, and it should be a decent commute. The far outlying areas near Higley and Queen Creek ( San Tan Valley) will add alot of time so I am thinking like 45 mins-1 hr . If you live near the 60 , close to the Mesa border it will be even better.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:06 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
San Tan Valley would be a ridiculously long commute, IMO. Gilbert, on the north end, would be long, depending on where the office is. I'd pick Tempe before Gilbert, or the areas of north Phoenix that are east of north Scottsdale. I'm not sure why you are so against living anywhere in Scottsdale, but if you are committed to that, there are closer options than either Gilbert or STV.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:54 AM

We are not taken with what can afford in Scottsdale, and actually prefer Gilbert. We are also looking near Las Sendas in NE Mesa, which is 15 minutes for my husband's S Scottsdale job.

Its impossible to really help w/o knowing if its south or north Scottsdale. My parents came to visit and stayed at the Holiday Inn Xpress in S Scottsdale-awesome pool and suites for the $$ by the way- and mom went out for In n Out burgers in "Scottsdale" via google and came back 1 hour later, she had NO idea Scottsdale was so very very long.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:35 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times
San Tan Valley would be out of the question for commuting to Scottsdale.

As others have mentioned, Gilbert near the 60 would work. I get from Val Vista Dr and the 60 to Old Town Scottsdale in 25-30 minutes in light traffic. About 45 in commute traffic.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:43 AM

5 posts, read 12,678 times
Default thanks to all

Thanks to all for the replies. You have all given me LOTS of things to think about - as if making the move from Pittsburgh to Phoenix is not enough to think about!!

Scottsdale is really out of our price range - we will be taking a "nice" loss on the house we are selling now and at my age, I am not willing to take on a big mortgage again. Gilbert seemed to be reasonably priced and have all the amenities.

We have been trying to look and find settled pockets of Mesa or Tempe that are as nice as Gilbert (our agent is not too helpful there but, actually, she is more north Phoenix so i am thinking we might need to find another agent) but haven't had much luck.

The companies I am focusing on are either in Scottsdale area (not as far north as the airport, maybe down toward the Shea Blvd area) or in the Chandler area (trying to stay north of the SanTan fwy and close to I-10). I am an IT BA so it seems that there are quite a few companies worth pursuing in those areas.

I think we are going to try to rent for a few months when we move there just to be sure we really like the general area before we buy - but I would like to rent in that area if possible, hence, the long distance search.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:57 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times
The area in and around Las Sendas in north east Mesa, as Hart4July pointed out, is a very nice area and by the north loop 202 which is a close commute to Scottsdale.

There are homes in that north east section in most price ranges. One of my clients just bought a wonderful home at the top end of Las Sendas, backing up to the Tonto National Forest with a fantastic 180 degree view of the valley for a little over $1.2. But again, there are homes in all price ranges there.

It's already been mentioned that the northern section of Gilbert is a reasonable commute with close proximity to the 60. I live in Val Vista Lakes in northeast Gilbert, about 3 minutes from the freeway, and it takes me 25 minutes to get to Old Town Scottsdale with light traffic.

Heavy commute traffic will add about 10 minutes.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:19 PM

Yes Las Sendas/Red Mountain area is a hidden gem close to S Scottsdale!Some attributes of Scottsdale North without the very high price tag. I do hear about lots of IT employment building in far S Chandler( my husband is a software engineer we transferred from Indiana last year), and thats a lovely area so that would be a nice safe bet as well.

If you are not getting focus on your preferred areas, may I recommend Captain Bill? We have no affiliation, before CD, but he has given us good advice for when we are ready to buy. You do want someone who knows your target area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area