Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 05:32 PM

125 posts, read 159,015 times

Advertisements

Retiring next June, definitely in AZ, yes I know about the heat, been there many times. The choices are LHC, Sun City West, or Peoria. Can I get some real thought and opinions on Peoria? Housing prices seem very affordable, from research ive done, looks like a nice area. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 06:46 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,695 times
We bought a house on the nw border of Phoenix, and Peoria is 50 feet away

We spend a ton of time at businesses and venues in Peoria, and, at least the northern part of the city is fantastic, with tons of stores and tons of growth; the southern part of town has some borderline areas, but I never go there.
Lake Pleasant is only 20 minutes away, and, there are tons of mountains/desert washes everywhere, along with hiking trails and parks, so if you are into that, no shortage of any of that in this area..

During non rush hour, you can easily get into most areas of phoenix/Scottsdale in around 30 minutes, you're also really close to the arrowhead area of Glendale, which is also very nice, so, IMO, Peoria is a great choice for someone like yourself.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:47 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,234,327 times
Peoria is a huge stretch of area like the rest of the valley and has it's good spots and bad spots. Arrowhead and north is good and south of Cactus is bad with the in between being mostly fine, closer you get to Grand around the 101 the worse it is IMO. Winter traffic can be frustrating around Arrowhead mall or coming out of Vistancia on Happy Valley but even then it isn't downtown traffic.

Sun City West is a bit disconnected with Bell Rd to get into Sun City/Surprise/Arrowhead and Grand to get to the 101/303 or down into Phoenix being the two main ways out of there. Since the roadwork at Bell and Grand last year traffic flows there a lot better but Bell always sucks east of Ave of the Arts (113th Ave) through Sun City. I always use Thunderbird or Union Hills if I can to avoid Bell during the day, both directions are congested. I own a few rentals in Surprise and I always hate getting out to them if I have to use Bell.

As for shopping far north Peoria, ignoring Vistancia it will always suck but Trilogy is a good retirement community, is pretty well built out now it just needs more food options specifically delivery and BBQ. From Happy Valley and 83rd Arrowhead mall and all the shopping that goes with it is only 15 minutes away or to Lake Pleasant and Happy Valley is 5.

From the 303 and Happy Valley at mid day you are about 30-35 minutes to Scottsdale Rd or under an hour to downtown Phx.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:18 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
The part of Peoria I'm most familiar with is Westbrook Village, which isn't age restricted, and not quite geared for retirees, but is mostly geared for older adults. It's a stone's throw away from Sun City, which is age restricted. It's also close to the Arrowhead area of north Glendale which is a very nice area with plenty of shopping & dining options. I understand Westbrook Village has a very strict HOA, so that's something you'll want to keep in mind.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:48 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Where'd you stay in AZ if you've been here "many times"? Why not look at the areas you stayed? Did you not like those areas and would never consider them? Did you never visit Peoria in your many travels out here? Just curious...

Peoria is boring, IMO. Its just a bland, gigantic suburb. SCW is basically only for retirees (55+), and also boring, but caters well to that crowd. LHC is isolated and hotter than hot, and nothing really to write home about.

IMO the 3 places you chose are places I would never recommend to anyone, especially when you have places like Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, Cave Creek, etc, in the area.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:43 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,492 times
I've only spent four days in Peoria, but I liked what I saw. I like suburbs though. The 55+ communities seem nice. I'm in my early forties, but I liked the area for the under 55 community too.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:45 PM

125 posts, read 159,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Where'd you stay in AZ if you've been here "many times"? Why not look at the areas you stayed? Did you not like those areas and would never consider them? Did you never visit Peoria in your many travels out here? Just curious...

We havent been out that way in several years, and always to Phoenix area, planning a road trip next year to visit places

Peoria is boring, IMO. Its just a bland, gigantic suburb. SCW is basically only for retirees (55+), and also boring, but caters well to that crowd. LHC is isolated and hotter than hot, and nothing really to write home about.

I have no problem with boring

IMO the 3 places you chose are places I would never recommend to anyone, especially when you have places like Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, Cave Creek, etc, in the area.
I'll have to check home prices in those areas

Old 12-13-2017, 08:28 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc3zny View Post
If you just want a cheap house, then don't bother.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:22 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
They will be more expensive than Peoria, but worth the money for all the amenities and safety. There are still plenty of cheaper condos and townhomes, etc, that you can consider as well. Not all of Scottsdale is expensive, so don't freak out. Get a good realtor and let them hunt for something in your price range (whatever that may be).

Old 12-13-2017, 12:30 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
Quote:
Retiring next June, definitely in AZ, yes I know about the heat, been there many times. The choices are LHC, Sun City West, or Peoria. Can I get some real thought and opinions on Peoria? Housing prices seem very affordable, from research ive done, looks like a nice area. Thoughts?
Lake Havasu City is very different from Sun City West and Peoria. Parts of SCW and Peoria are intertwined.

If you plan to retire and do things like go to chain stores, eat at chain restaurants, and drive around, I guess Peoria is okay. In my opinion, however, that part of this Metro is boring and redundant.

But it really matters what your priorities are. If you had like an offroading vehicle or a boat, Peoria would be great. Likewise, Peoria is closer than other parts of the City to Prescott, Wickenburg, Vegas, and Flagstaff, so that's nice I guess. But to just sit around? It's dull and is replicated elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area