Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 01:33 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,608,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I highly doubt Gilbert will become anything close to a slum, and there is still enough land to keep developing. Gilbert's population might be 300,000 in the next 10 years if it keeps growing like it has. That's approaching the population level of some "major" U.S. cities such as Pittsburgh and Cleveland. It baffles me how Gilbert still wants to remain a TOWN. It's as if they welcome the growth, the development, and the population increases, but still want to retain a Mayberry image. Makes no sense at all.
And there are many places around the USA just like that. They want the best of both worlds.

You're right, VN, it's not realistic.

What actually is happening, is that our once cutesy, little Arizona is slowly morphing into just one more over-populated monster, complete with denizens that have little or no idea what they're creating in this, their new habitat. Too much, too quickly. Growing pains, to be more precise.

Sure, they come. They go. They come. However, in general the overall effect is an explosion which seems continually destined for implosion. There needs to be a way to have growth without creating unwanted OVERGROWTH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 04:21 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
I highly doubt Gilbert will become anything close to a slum, and there is still enough land to keep developing. Gilbert's population might be 300,000 in the next 10 years if it keeps growing like it has. That's approaching the population level of some "major" U.S. cities such as Pittsburgh and Cleveland. It baffles me how Gilbert still wants to remain a TOWN. It's as if they welcome the growth, the development, and the population increases, but still want to retain a Mayberry image. Makes no sense at all.
There is little difference in the powers and duties of a city and town under AZ law. The main one, and the reason I suspect they want to be a town, is that the town council must be elected town-wide and not by districts. This lets the Mormon minority influence all the council seats instead of just those in the predominantly Mormon areas.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:43 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
What actually is happening, is that our once cutesy, little Arizona is slowly morphing into just one more over-populated monster, complete with denizens that have little or no idea what they're creating in this, their new habitat. Too much, too quickly. Growing pains, to be more precise.

Sure, they come. They go. They come. However, in general the overall effect is an explosion which seems continually destined for implosion. There needs to be a way to have growth without creating unwanted OVERGROWTH.
You definitely have a point. For the most part, I actually welcome growth & development. What I don't welcome is haphazard sprawl type of growth, and people moving here just because it's warm, sunny, and supposedly cheap. It has reached the point where Arizona is no longer a small or mid sized populated state ... it's in the top 15 now thanks largely to all the growth in Maricopa County. Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the nation, and the metro area is 12th largest in the nation. We can no longer have growth just to become bigger & bigger. We need to focus more on quality vs. quantity.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:39 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,442,350 times
It deprnds on your budget. If you can make it work, South Tempe has some really nice old established neighborhoods which are in close proximity to just about everywhere in the Valley.
Gilbert is a really nice town, one of the safest in the country, more affordable than Tempe but a bit remote. I would not personally consider Chandler as it lacks character, and landscaping is underwhelming.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:10 AM

202 posts, read 219,906 times
Quote:
In thirty to forty years, I won’t be surprised if the older neighborhoods in Gilbert near Mesa and downtown Gilbert become slums. Sprawl growth throughout Phoenix creates slums precisely because of what you mentioned: enough land to keep developing. As an area gets older and rough looking people tend to move out or the population becomes older.

Parts of Gilbert won’t become slums? Ok, let’s tell that to the people who used to live in West and Central Mesa, or near Metrocenter, or...should I really keep going? One future slum is often replaced by another one.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:24 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
I would not personally consider Chandler as it lacks character, and landscaping is underwhelming.
Yeah, the landscaping is really underwhelming

Here's some underwhelming examples from THREE different large master planned communities in South Chandler (Fulton Ranch, Ocotillo, Valencia), there's plenty of others as well. Not sure what it is you're looking for that Gilbert has more of.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:30 AM

I moved to South Chandler from South Tempe, and I really like both areas. South Tempe of course has a better location, but South Chandler has the better houses and communities with still plenty of nice shopping and dining (and proximal to a substantial amount of high end employment). Gilbert on the other hand, has nothing as nice as South Chandler, although the more affordable parts of Gibert are nicer than the more affordable part of Chandler. Apples to apples, a new home in Gilbert will cost less than the same home in Chandler. You can easily comp it out by looking at the Circle G custom homes in Chandler vs Circle G in Gilbert. Compare Ocotillo to Val Vista Lakes, Fulton Ranch to Seville, etc, Chandler is much pricier in those comparison. But Chandler does have much more of a "ghetto" (or working class) area in the area a couple miles North of the 202 between Alma School and McQueen (maybe not even that far West). West Chandler is more like an extension of South Tempe, great location, houses by and large aren't anything to write home about, still very desirable. South Chandler is the area where the newer, nicer communities are.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:51 AM

202 posts, read 219,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Yeah, the landscaping is really underwhelming

Here's some underwhelming examples from THREE different large master planned communities in South Chandler (Fulton Ranch, Ocotillo, Valencia), there's plenty of others as well. Not sure what it is you're looking for that Gilbert has more of.

Look, those are great and all, but everything except parts of South Chandler look like the complete oppposite. White or beige homes with xeriscape landscaping. Chandler has too many generic 90s era communities that look terrible. I could say the same for Gilbert, but it’s slightly newer and doesn’t have as many. Gilbert is somewhere in between the extremes of Chandler. I hope that makes sense.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post
Look, those are great and all, but everything except parts of South Chandler look like the complete oppposite. White or beige homes with xeriscape landscaping. Chandler has too many generic 90s era communities that look terrible. I could say the same for Gilbert, but it’s slightly newer and doesn’t have as many. Gilbert is somewhere in between the extremes of Chandler. I hope that makes sense.
South Chandler is a huge area where a majority of the newer (2000+) developments have occurred. You don't dismiss it as if it's a small insignificant part of the city, it's a major part of the city and where a lot of the money lives.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:00 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
South Chandler is a huge area where a majority of the newer (2000+) developments have occurred. You don't dismiss it as if it's a small insignificant part of the city, it's a major part of the city and where a lot of the money lives.
There are some nice areas in West Chandler; the more sketchy part of Chandler is mainly north of Downtown and east of the 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area