Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:03 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times

Advertisements

Apparently teachers in West Phoenix and Glendale are staging walk-outs to protest their low pay. While I am 100% in agreement that they need raises and have been on their side, I think they're going about this the wrong way. Walking out on kids is going to do nothing but anger the parents (voters) and the teachers #1 priority is supposed to be the kids, not their salary. They knew what the salaries would be when they signed up for the job, and many that I have spoken to gladly take the lower pay for all of the weeks off. While I do agree with their message, I don't like the method. Kids have to miss school and parents need to re-arrange their schedules last minute.

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...y-over-low-pay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 10:39 AM

90 posts, read 113,188 times
I support them 100%. They have begged for raises for years. What is the 'right way'? What haven't they already tried?
Something needs to be done to gain more widespread attention to the matter. In the end, poorly paid, overextended teachers will be worse for our children than taking a day to spread awareness of the issue.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:01 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
I think this will backfire on them. They knew the pay when they took the job.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:52 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Move to another state or find another profession. Simple as that.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitshipp View Post
I support them 100%. They have begged for raises for years. What is the 'right way'? What haven't they already tried?
Something needs to be done to gain more widespread attention to the matter. In the end, poorly paid, overextended teachers will be worse for our children than taking a day to spread awareness of the issue.
The only way to achieve change is to move the votes. I think this walk-out could be detrimental towards that goal.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:35 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
The only way to achieve change is to move the votes. I think this walk-out could be detrimental towards that goal.
Lots of “over rides” already out there, so the votes have been moved, but the $$$ was spent on administration, not teacher salaries. Walking out just wakes up the community to the issue. The parents getting angry are mostly those using the schools as a free babysitter. I.E., if your biggest complaint is that you have to watch your own kid for a couple days. If you want good schools, you have to pay for them and supervise the school boards. They get hijacked periodically by special interests & run wild. Whether they become a board of “yes-men” for the administration, the teachers, religious nutballs or anti-tax zealots, that’s the fault of the public for not showing up and making the boards do the right thing.

How many of those “poor me, I got to watch my kids this week” people actually went to even one board meeting in the past five years? About none.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:08 PM

90 posts, read 113,188 times
Quote:
Or it could help open eyes and get parents into these board meetings.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:31 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Votes haven't been a problem, getting that money through the budget is. There have been multiple propositions passed this, the most recent a response to the state squandering funds from a different proposition and losing in court.

Duceys first major misstep was in respect to education and he underestimated the public response, especially when people in Scottsdale, PV and other areas called him on it.

Right now there is more effort to spin away the awful state puff education than to actually fix it. That is the problem.

The state needs to understand this isn't going away.

We have a massive teacher shortage in the state.

It is a skilled profession that requires an academic standard that is expensive as well as continuing expense to stay in.

Also separate administration from administrators. AZ is well below the mark on administrator compensation as well and many districts run very lean having employees take on a higher title task, while eliminating that position and not providing additional compensation to the person working above their pay grade.

Wages are not competitive to the skills of the employees and many are leaving.

Others are choosing to stay and fight.

Either way the status quo isn't good enough.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Votes haven't been a problem, getting that money through the budget is. There have been multiple propositions passed this, the most recent a response to the state squandering funds from a different proposition and losing in court.

Duceys first major misstep was in respect to education and he underestimated the public response, especially when people in Scottsdale, PV and other areas called him on it.

Right now there is more effort to spin away the awful state puff education than to actually fix it. That is the problem.

The state needs to understand this isn't going away.

We have a massive teacher shortage in the state.

It is a skilled profession that requires an academic standard that is expensive as well as continuing expense to stay in.

Also separate administration from administrators. AZ is well below the mark on administrator compensation as well and many districts run very lean having employees take on a higher title task, while eliminating that position and not providing additional compensation to the person working above their pay grade.

Wages are not competitive to the skills of the employees and many are leaving.

Others are choosing to stay and fight.

Either way the status quo isn't good enough.
By "votes" I mean the leaders you mentioned, not overrides.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:18 PM

318 posts, read 337,758 times
Quote:
Apparently teachers in West Phoenix and Glendale are staging walk-outs to protest their low pay. While I am 100% in agreement that they need raises and have been on their side, I think they're going about this the wrong way. Walking out on kids is going to do nothing but anger the parents (voters) and the teachers #1 priority is supposed to be the kids, not their salary. They knew what the salaries would be when they signed up for the job, and many that I have spoken to gladly take the lower pay for all of the weeks off. While I do agree with their message, I don't like the method. Kids have to miss school and parents need to re-arrange their schedules last minute.

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...y-over-low-pay
Before creating this thread questioning their method, a little research would've revealed walkouts recently were effective West Virginia. Not only pay but also benefits, without them taking a stand for 2 weeks nothing would've got accomplished. More districts will follow FYI this is just the beginning.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/09/us/te...ent/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area