Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 02:06 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, with the local Mexican restaurant chains, I have noticed many of them seem to serve Pepsi products, despite Coke being more popular than Pepsi in Mexico based on my experiences. I have now seen Pepsi products at three local Mexican chains - Garcia's, Serrano's, and Macayo's.

Has anyone noticed a similar trend with the local Mexican restaurant chains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 03:27 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, with the local Mexican restaurant chains, I have noticed many of them seem to serve Pepsi products, despite Coke being more popular than Pepsi in Mexico based on my experiences. I have now seen Pepsi products at three local Mexican chains - Garcia's, Serrano's, and Macayo's.

I have not. I don't mess with soft drinks at those restaurants. Give me a Margarita, Dos Equis or Modelo and save the Pepsi. Maybe that's why I haven't noticed.

I have noticed that Los Favoritos offers bottled Mexican Coke

Old 03-31-2018, 03:42 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
The answer is very simple. It depends on who makes the best offer to the restaurant, as to which brand they carry. The company that supplies the nicest equipment, and the best prices on their syrups, is the one they will carry. This has always been true, and always will be true. Either one will be acceptable to the majority of their customers, and they are looking at the one that will leave them the most profit and decent dispensing equipment.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:54 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The answer is very simple. It depends on who makes the best offer to the restaurant, as to which brand they carry. The company that supplies the nicest equipment, and the best prices on their syrups, is the one they will carry. This has always been true, and always will be true. Either one will be acceptable to the majority of their customers, and they are looking at the one that will leave them the most profit and decent dispensing equipment.
One thing about the fountain equipment - Coke normally uses Lancer equipment but you will occasionally run into Cornelius, while Pepsi nearly always uses Cornelius and almost never uses Lancer.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:25 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
One thing about the fountain equipment - Coke normally uses Lancer equipment but you will occasionally run into Cornelius, while Pepsi nearly always uses Cornelius and almost never uses Lancer.
Your depth of knowledge is fascinating.

Beer or water for me, so I have no idea who serves what soda.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:06 PM

221 posts, read 192,671 times
They have good taste.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:39 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:

Well, Macayo's was started my Woody Johnson. A white guy The History of Our Traditional Mexican Restaurant - Macayo's who invented the Chimichanga. But Tia Monica Flin (a non-Mexican) claimed she invented the Chimichanga in Tucson (El Charro Café). Serrano's (the best I can tell) was started by an Italian family after closing down their clothing business About - Serrano's Mexican Restaurant . Maybe they all like Pepsi?

Now sit down and enjoy a Margarita (invented in TX https://www.texasmonthly.com/article...the-margarita/ ) or a Taquitos (originated in LA) or Queso (TX) or Churros (ancient China). They are all on Garcia's menu.

Thanks Google.

To answer your question, I've never ask what soda brand they serve in a restaurant. So no, I never noticed.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:35 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:

You notice and discuss some very trivial things. I don't drink soda but even if I did I wouldn't pay any attention to what brand of soda is carried in restaurants.

I stick to Mexican beer, or iced tea in Mexican restaurants.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:37 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You notice and discuss some very trivial things. I don't drink soda but even if I did I wouldn't pay any attention to what brand of soda is carried in restaurants.

I stick to Mexican beer, or iced tea in Mexican restaurants.
I’m impressed he knows the brands of the dispensers themselves and then whether one company uses those brands over the other.

I worked in restaurants for years as a chef and in management, but that detailed knowledge never crossed my mind.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:24 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:

maybe if you went to an actual Mexican restaurant you would find Coke - right next to the actual Mexicans eating actual Mexican food.

I mean, seriously, macayo's, serrano's and Garcia's??? It's not that it's bad food - but it AIN'T Mexican .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area