Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:28 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
I came to Phoenix from the highly-dense, highly-multicultural city of San Francisco. It was a shock.
Phoenix isn't multi-cultural? So I'm hallucinating when I see and interact with blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans and people from all over the globe literally every day? When I can dine at a Turkish restaurant owned by Turks, a Persian restaurant owned by Iranians, an Ethiopian restaurant owned by Ethiopians, an Afghan restaurant owned by Afghans or a Polish or Bosnian bakery. How about one of, if not the, largest museums dedicated to Native American history and art.

Not culture at all. None. Though, I shouldn't expect much of value from someone that plays a I've-Seen-More-of-Arizona-Than-You card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 06:32 AM

127 posts, read 171,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
I came to Phoenix from the highly-dense, highly-multicultural city of San Francisco. It was a shock.
I can imagine. Phoenix is so clean.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...472430013.html

Or is that not what you meant?

That is not just a cheap shot at San Francisco, but really, as someone who has spent a lot of time in New York and Chicago, the Phoenix area is hardly provincial, especially compared to other fast-growing cities. Somebody's got to have a real chip on their shoulder about their favorite town to home in on that.

To the OP, if you're still reading and are used to Lower Manhattan, I'd second the suggestions to look around Biltmore/Camelback/Scottsdale Waterfront, there are a lot of different options for you there including something at least semi-urban. Our price point is decidedly lower than yours, but that's also what we're looking at. School district debates aside, there's plenty to do and it's reasonably walkable. Otherwise, North Scottsdale with some proximity to the Kierland-area outdoor shopping centers for amenities might be a good fit. Hopefully you'll let us know how you made out.

Last edited by Mister-A; 05-03-2018 at 07:14 AM..

Old 05-03-2018, 07:31 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,600 times
Dear CandyApple13

Please make a pit stop in Seattle and pick me up. I want to go back to Phoenix. I lived there in 2001. Here's a link and what I remember of Phoenix:

Free Things to Do in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe in 2018 | Phoenix New Times

Phoenix has the most beautiful library I had ever seen. There are these open-air marts where people sell clothing, hats, shoes, etc.and in the summer there's a light mist that sprays on people to cool them down. It's piped in.
It's hot all year round. In November it's about 88° - 99°. In July it's about 115°.
Don't forget me.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:16 AM

720 posts, read 734,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-A View Post
I can imagine. Phoenix is so clean.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...472430013.html

Or is that not what you meant?

That is not just a cheap shot at San Francisco, but really, as someone who has spent a lot of time in New York and Chicago, the Phoenix area is hardly provincial, especially compared to other fast-growing cities. Somebody's got to have a real chip on their shoulder about their favorite town to home in on that.

To the OP, if you're still reading and are used to Lower Manhattan, I'd second the suggestions to look around Biltmore/Camelback/Scottsdale Waterfront, there are a lot of different options for you there including something at least semi-urban. Our price point is decidedly lower than yours, but that's also what we're looking at. School district debates aside, there's plenty to do and it's reasonably walkable. Otherwise, North Scottsdale with some proximity to the Kierland-area outdoor shopping centers for amenities might be a good fit. Hopefully you'll let us know how you made out.
Hi Mister A! Miss you and J - hope to see you both soon

Old 05-10-2018, 03:25 PM

90 posts, read 69,542 times
I'd second the Arcadia recommendation. I live in North Scottsdale, and it is very convenient but incredibly boring if you're not into golf or over 80 years old. Most events involving young people, minus clubbing, involve a drive to central Phoenix or Arcadia.

I'd also say, if you're curious about North Scottsdale, make sure you check out the neighbors. I'm in an all old, rich white retired area. Everyone is asleep by 7pm. Not kidding. But I'm also renting, and have considered moving to PV or Arcadia. Arcadia is just centrally located, safe, nice and very pretty. It's tough to beat, in my opinion.

For the guy talking about 'culture' shock, there wasn't much culture shock. Arizona isn't too ass backwards, but if you're coming from SF, you'll find we lack piles of crap on our streets and homeless everywhere, so that may be a shock.

The city is pretty clean, the people drive very fast, and there is an abundance of white dudes in trucks. I've traveled a lot over the world, and that is a pretty hardcore American thing, and there are more bad-behavior trucks here than when I lived close to Appalachia, in my opinion.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:25 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post

Phoenix has the most beautiful library I had ever seen..
I actually think Burton Barr is one of the absolute worst/most depressing big city libraries I've ever come across. Nashville, Salt Lake, NYC, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Portland OR, every town in New England...all of these have libraries that blow Phoenix away. Of all the states I've lived in/visited, Arizona has by far the worst libraries.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:04 AM

872 posts, read 999,916 times
What's with all the snootiness and bad attitudes in this thread

Old 05-16-2018, 10:39 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
its the internet, what do you expect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area