Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,789 times

Advertisements

How much would I need to earn for the below;

To run 2 cars (small suv, large suv), a 4 bed $500k house for a 5 person family, 3 being teenagers. I am looking for non-HOA houses!

I am looking around north area of Tempe, but not actually in Tempe.

I have been told its fairly cheap to live in Arizona, but have also heard/read its not, lol.

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 01:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Cheap for my parents to live in Surprise. They moved there in 2003. Homes were a lot cheaper then. My parents keep the AC set at 80 in the hot months. When it is over 100 outside. They have a low electric bill compared to most people. One of my sisters keeps her AC at 72 and pays three X what my parents pay. her and her husband don't have kids so I figure it is somewhat comparable.

Transportation compared to California, where I live, is cheaper in the Phoenix area. The cheap gas in our area cost a $1 a gallon per gallon in Surprise and more than likely within the Phoenix area.

My youngest brother moved last month to the Phoenix area. He is now working in the area. He is in his early 30's and has always rented a place. He went from renting a 1 bedroom apartment for $2,200 a month in Southern California, to a new luxury apartment with stainless steel appliances for under $1,000 a month.

For homes, not sure what you are looking for but where I live on the coast in California, $500,000 buys you a basic looking tract home built in the 1960's.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:20 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinmover View Post

To run 2 cars (small suv, large suv), a 4 bed $500k house for a 5 person family, 3 being teenagers. I am looking for non-HOA houses!

I have been told its fairly cheap to live in Arizona, but have also heard/read its not, lol.

You aren't going to find a $500K house in the area of north Tempe, including south Scottsdale.(and why not "in Tempe"?)

Non-HOA will be hard to find if you are looking for newer construction. That said, all HOAs are NOT alike.

Car registration is relatively expensive, gas cheaper than a lot of places, but not the cheapest. Property taxes also are on the lower end compared to other states.

That said, you haven't given nearly enough information for me (or most other people) to tell you what you'd need to earn here. Where are you moving from?

Old 04-25-2018, 02:16 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Really it is all going to depend on your lifestyle. Sure, some things are less expensive in AZ but a lot of things are comparable or more expensive...and our taxes are more than likely going up in the wake of this school funding problem.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:31 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You aren't going to find a $500K house in the area of north Tempe, including south Scottsdale.(and why not "in Tempe"?)

Non-HOA will be hard to find if you are looking for newer construction. That said, all HOAs are NOT alike.

Car registration is relatively expensive, gas cheaper than a lot of places, but not the cheapest. Property taxes also are on the lower end compared to other states.

That said, you haven't given nearly enough information for me (or most other people) to tell you what you'd need to earn here. Where are you moving from?
I don’t understand the first comment. There are lots of $500k+ homes in south Scottsdale, 85251 and 85250 specifically.

OP, no one can answer this but you. We don’t know your finances nor if you’re paying cash or how much you’re putting down on the house.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:47 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,814,255 times
Quote:

Over $100,000 quite frankly and if you were following the 50/30/20 rule.

This is assuming you are still:
1) Contributing 15% (of your pre-tax income) towards 401(k)/IRA
2) Still have enough wiggle room to save for other future expenses
3) Cars are paid off and the title is yours
4) You have no other consumer debt (credit cards, personal loans, student loans)

Old 04-25-2018, 03:08 PM

102 posts, read 111,478 times
Default Cost of living

Quote:

Too many factors to say what you need to earn. That's sort of a very tough question to answer for anyone but you. And not knowing if you are buying a house cash, downpayment, etc.

Arizona and Maricopa County are 2 different real estate markets. There are plenty of homes in that area for that price range but there are still too many factors that play into what is doable.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I don’t understand the first comment. There are lots of $500k+ homes in south Scottsdale, 85251 and 85250 specifically.

OP, no one can answer this but you. We don’t know your finances nor if you’re paying cash or how much you’re putting down on the house.

When I say south Scottsdale, I'm thinking 85257. Since you live further north, 85250 and 85251 may seem south to you, to me they are more central) Nothing else is "north Tempe but not actually Tempe" to me.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
When I say south Scottsdale, I'm thinking 85257. Since you live further north, 85250 and 85251 may seem south to you, to me they are more central) Nothing else is "north Tempe but not actually Tempe" to me.
Ok, I see. They still exist in 85257. Certainly as not many though.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,789 times
20% down on a house. House location can be anywhere near north tempe, within 35min drive including Gilbert. Both cars will be paid off, and with zero debt. Ill be moving from New Hampshire.

Thanks for all the answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area