Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 10:14 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,576 times

Advertisements

Latino culture is huge in phoenix and if you're looking to move to a desert climate Phoenix makes a lot of sense. Don't let the haters dissuade you, while the Phoenix job market isn't silicon valley or New York, there are plenty of jobs here that pay well enough to have a comfortable life. Tucson, on the other hand, is VERY low on the wage vs. COL scale. I know several barbers that all seem to be doing pretty well for themselves here and as stated the IT market is strong also. I love Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 03:46 PM

42 posts, read 48,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Is it a good idea to move from San Antonio to Phoenix? I'm looking for a dryer city with a richer Latino culture and heritage. Phoenix seems interesting to me. I'm either going to become a barber or go into IT; how're these professions/industries in Phoenix?

I like to stay close to Latino/Mexican culture, by what I see Phoenix offers more of this than San Antonio, is that accurate? Any other advice?
I would always recomned moving here, but looking for "richer Latino culture" I dont think you'll find it here we are more like LA than anything.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:06 PM

502 posts, read 392,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchurainprez View Post
I would always recomned moving here, but looking for "richer Latino culture" I dont think you'll find it here we are more like LA than anything.
Well LA has pretty rich latino culture.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:19 AM

389 posts, read 596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
If that were the case this list would look much different.

Where do Arizona residents come from?
1. 38% were born here
2. 9% are from California
3. 4% from Illinois
4. 3% New York
5. 2% Texas
6. 2% Ohio

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...e-from-7287528
According to the NY times study done in 2012, 16% of the people in Arizona were born in the midwest. That doesn't even count transplants from areas that are Midwest adjacent like Upstate New York, Western and Central PA, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, and the many Canadians that call Phoenix home. The culture of the above places tend to be very similar to the Midwest. Also, of the 38% that are native Arizonans, many were born to Midwestern parents.

The previous poster was right about Phoenix being shaped culturally by Midwestern transplants. That's neither good nor bad, but it's the truth.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:13 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
The previous poster was right about Phoenix being shaped culturally by Midwestern transplants. That's neither good nor bad, but it's the truth.
Thanks. Quite a few cities are like that. I'd include Las Vegas, Seattle, Portland and Sacramento for starters. While some of those cities became more international over the decades, the initial waves of people moving to those cities (to make them the big cities that they are) were primarily from the midwest.

OP in San Antonio is lucky to be living in a city with such a rich and diverse culture. But if OP really wants something more Latino than San Antonio, I'd recommend El Paso, ABQ, or even Tucson.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:01 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times
Quote:
According to the NY times study done in 2012, 16% of the people in Arizona were born in the midwest. That doesn't even count transplants from areas that are Midwest adjacent like Upstate New York, Western and Central PA, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, and the many Canadians that call Phoenix home. The culture of the above places tend to be very similar to the Midwest. Also, of the 38% that are native Arizonans, many were born to Midwestern parents.

2 things, can you share the link?

What % does that article show come from California in that same article? What I find it's more than 2x of those who come from the Midwest. If 16% people here come from the Midwest then I'd suspect more than 30% come from CA.

16% will have an impact but certainly won't dominate a region.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:55 PM

30 posts, read 27,992 times
I would better recommend going to El Paso or Tucson. Phoenix is too big, too crowded, too much traffic, pollution and crime. Jobs in Arizona are not really that good and the pay in most fields is mediocre.
But if strong Mexican culture is what you want the best advice is to stay in San Antonio. That's what it's known for. You can't go wrong with S.A.!

Old 01-06-2019, 01:14 PM

389 posts, read 596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
2 things, can you share the link?

What % does that article show come from California in that same article? What I find it's more than 2x of those who come from the Midwest. If 16% people here come from the Midwest then I'd suspect more than 30% come from CA.

16% will have an impact but certainly won't dominate a region.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...were-born.html

6% of Californians were born in the midwest in 2012. Of course, that number was down from what it was in the mid twentieth century. A higher percentage of Californians were born in California or outside the US today. But the midwestern transplants definitely left an impact on California over the years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
OP in San Antonio is lucky to be living in a city with such a rich and diverse culture. But if OP really wants something more Latino than San Antonio, I'd recommend El Paso, ABQ, or even Tucson.
I agree. I was going to suggest those same three cities to the OP for richer Latino culture.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:05 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,047 times
Quote:
I agree. I was going to suggest those same three cities to the OP for richer Latino culture.
Hard to find more Latino culture in a large city in the US than in El Paso! It would also be an easier move for the OP as it would be in-state... no mucking around with new auto title/registration, driver's license, etc.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:15 PM

551 posts, read 693,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Well LA has pretty rich latino culture.
It might not be as rich as LA. LA and Phx latino cultures are pretty different. Phx is far more laid back about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: