Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 6,650 times

Advertisements

I need help on what town to live in and work in. I plan to move this year from the Chicago land area to the Phoenix area. I visited early January with my girlfriend, and we loved it. Stayed in Tempe to be near Phoenix and other towns. We did dune buggies, lots of hiking, Sedona, Grand Canyon, and just exploring the general area. We felt good being sort of in the middle of a lot to do.

I'm 26 and want to be around activities that involve my age group. I like a lively area with options, even if I decide to stay in for the weekend playing video games or wrenching on my car. I love hiking and finding random activities to do, or good places to hangout such as restaurants or a more laid back bar. I like my cars/motorcycles. My Mustang and motorcycle need a good home with a garage .

I can't stand Chicago. Phoenix felt like a suburb from where I live, which I enjoyed. I want to avoid anything like Chicago and want to avoid long commutes and bad traffic.

I've heard Camelback East and Arcadia are nice places for us millennial's. Can anyone give suggestions on area's I can check out? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 08:27 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,935 times
Others will know more than me, but Tempe is a hot spot for the younger generation.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:33 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Depends on budget, but Downtown, Midtown, Camelback East and Arcadia are where you want to be. Maybe south Scottsdale depending on your scene. Tempe is either suburbia or a college town.

FYI, apostrophes don’t pluralize.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:22 PM

I'm over the college scene. Sure it's lively, but I can always visit if I wanted to do anything of that nature. I may work in Phoenix or in one of the neighboring towns, so that will be a big factor where I live.

I like the Camelback East area, seems to be in a sweet spot and the other towns around it seem close and accessible. What else is there to consider between those areas? What are some significant differences between them?

And yes, I know, I adjusted a sentence a few times and it happened to stay and I couldn't go back and edit lol. But thank you very much.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:34 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,911,098 times
I love central phoenix. Tons of bars, good spots to eat and a great car and bike scene. Nowhere near as dense as chicago but plenty of stuff to do. I have also started to appreciate old town scottsdale. Tons of dive bars, good eats and mid century modern architecture. Scottsdale has a snooty velvet rope reputation and while those places are there, lots of cool stuff and people that aren't into the club scene are there too. And yes, where you work should be a big factor in choosing where to live. The metro is gigantic and commutes can be brutal if you choose the wrong location.

I live close to Arcadia and have recently found it to display more of the negative aspects of Scottsdale than Scottsdale lol. It's becoming very snooty and everything is shiny, super hip and ridiculously over priced. I stopped going to any Arcadia bars as they seem to be full of vapid bimbos and college bros in my opinion.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:38 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,082,449 times
South Scottsdale/Tempe, Midtown, Uptown, or Arcadia Lite would probably be up your alley.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:59 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
The first question should always be: Where will you be working?

Old 01-28-2019, 10:34 AM

17,810 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1k1 View Post

I can't stand Chicago. Phoenix felt like a suburb from where I live, which I enjoyed.
There is an old joke that goes like this:

Q: What is the biggest suburb of Chicago.
A: Phoenix.

And just beware. Phoenix in January is glorious. Phoenix in June is brutal. Obviously Phoenix wouldn't have grown like it has if people couldn't tolerate it, but by the end of September everybody is pretty worn out from the heat. I don't think anybody looks forward to October more than the people in Phoenix.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:11 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1k1 View Post
I need help on what town to live in and work in. I plan to move this year from the Chicago land area to the Phoenix area. I visited early January with my girlfriend, and we loved it. Stayed in Tempe to be near Phoenix and other towns. We did dune buggies, lots of hiking, Sedona, Grand Canyon, and just exploring the general area. We felt good being sort of in the middle of a lot to do.

I'm 26 and want to be around activities that involve my age group. I like a lively area with options, even if I decide to stay in for the weekend playing video games or wrenching on my car. I love hiking and finding random activities to do, or good places to hangout such as restaurants or a more laid back bar. I like my cars/motorcycles. My Mustang and motorcycle need a good home with a garage .

I can't stand Chicago. Phoenix felt like a suburb from where I live, which I enjoyed. I want to avoid anything like Chicago and want to avoid long commutes and bad traffic.

I've heard Camelback East and Arcadia are nice places for us millennial's. Can anyone give suggestions on area's I can check out? Thanks in advance!
Depends a lot on where you plan to work, and what your budget is. Arcadia is on the expensive side. Camelback East can be expensive, but there are some middle priced areas. Tempe would be good for somebody your age, but it may not be as "suburban" as you prefer. Coming from Chicago, I'm sure many things will seem cheaper, but there are some hidden costs (car maintenance for example) which are on the high side.

Bad traffic exists here, but it's most prevalent during morning & afternoon/evening rush hour. It's getting worse, but at least traffic here moves at a decent pace during the non peak times. The areas with the least amount of traffic would be the outer suburban areas ... and you might want to look into some of those places in the north Valley (Deer Valley, Desert Ridge, Arrowhead, Peoria, north Scottsdale, etc.) if you prefer easier travel to northern AZ, and thinks like hiking.

By the way: please DON'T even think about hiking the mountains around Phoenix during the hot season. Too many amateurs go out unprepared, and end up being carried off the trails ... wasting paramedics' time as well as tax dollars! If you like to hike, there are many unspoiled areas in Arizona's high country to explore, which are far better than anything around Phoenix anyway.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:17 AM

What a lovely Chicago morning, -17°F and feels like -40°F. Awesome. Oh the low tomorrow at 7am will be -25°F. Lovely...!

Great suggestions everyone! I know the big question is where I'd be working. I know it was vague when I originally said I'd want to work in Phoenix or the neighboring towns, but I just meant that I don't want to be far away like in Goodyear (visited my cousin there), or I don't want to be in too quiet of a town that's more geared toward raising kids. I wonder how Mesa is. I know it's a little further, but maybe it's worth it!

I loved Tempe, but still am over the college scene so that kind of steered me away from living there since I'm not in the college party mindset anymore.

I definitely want a garage. I know it's harder to have one the closer you get to the city. Aside from the most expensive options near Phoenix, are there others? Or of the suggested, which will be more toward middle to high priced?

Peoria... How is it there? Seems like it'd be far from any job in the Phoenix area.

I wouldn't hike in that heat. I plan/prepare ahead, even for simple hikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area