Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:39 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times

Advertisements

As a former "Midwesterner", I can promise you what others have said here already..no one gives a damn about your political "affiliation"; just dont wear a maga hat everywhere you go, or put a "bernie in 2020" sign on your front lawn, and no one will say squat to you about politics..Its truly live and let live out here, and the best way to meet people and get along great with your neighbors is to just be a GOOD NEIGHBOR, and be friendly, and polite, the same things that are important anywhere in the USA..

Old 03-21-2019, 11:41 AM

427 posts, read 368,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
As a former "Midwesterner", I can promise you what others have said here already..no one gives a damn about your political "affiliation"; just dont wear a maga hat everywhere you go, or put a "bernie in 2020" sign on your front lawn, and no one will say squat to you about politics..Its truly live and let live out here, and the best way to meet people and get along great with your neighbors is to just be a GOOD NEIGHBOR, and be friendly, and polite, the same things that are important anywhere in the USA..
10-4 thank you

Old 03-21-2019, 11:43 AM

no problem, if you can take the june-end of September sometimes crazy heat, you will absolutely love everything about this area..

Old 03-21-2019, 11:44 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Not to be difficult but if it were a live-and-let-live state, the OP could do those things with impunity. I submit that he actually can.

I’ve sure met a wide assortment of characters in my AZ travels. Eccentricity isn’t just tolerated, it seems accepted.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:59 AM

valid point; I guess alot of it depends on where in the valley you live; out here in the far NW Phoenix/North Peoria area, its pretty solid red, politically, and walking around in a MAGA hat, with purple and green hair, with dozens of tats/piercings, probably wouldn't get you a second look, but, walking around like that where some of my buddies live in Willow/Encanto live, might be a different story..
Yes, Eccentricity is tolerated here much better than in the midwest, that is for sure

Old 03-21-2019, 12:02 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
California has 40 million people. Even though conservatives are a minority, that still leaves millions and millions of conservatives there. You seem to think that people in Phoenix are too stupid to understand this. That hardly seems the best assumption to make.
No, OP is aware that an awful lot of people are pretty sick and G-D tired of Californians moving in and then voting to turn their new home into California. I left California, and I think it's very reasonable for me to reassure people that I'm not trying to bring it and it's failed policies here.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:12 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
No, OP is aware that an awful lot of people are pretty sick and G-D tired of Californians moving in and then voting to turn their new home into California. I left California, and I think it's very reasonable for me to reassure people that I'm not trying to bring it and it's failed policies here.

The thing is it's not just Californians moving here (this was covered at length in another thread I think). People are coming from all over the country to escape high COL and they believe AZ is an affordable place to live. While that is true, depending on where people are escaping, it probably won't remain that way because increases in population always lead to added expenditures and so many pols and hacks believe that they MUST ALWAYS come up with new things to give people (just look at what all the current Prez candidates are promising) and increases in population is a great way to promote more government spending.
AZ always looks greener because so many states are living under huge clouds of debt and un/under-funded obligations. However, that will definitely change going forward and AZ will become just another sad economic basket case because pols love spending/hate cutting and AZ still has room to rack up ridiculous debt.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:37 PM

566 posts, read 573,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Not to be difficult but if it were a live-and-let-live state, the OP could do those things with impunity. I submit that he actually can.

I’ve sure met a wide assortment of characters in my AZ travels. Eccentricity isn’t just tolerated, it seems accepted.

Agree. Example: Neighbor on my left is conservative and had those signs up during the election. Neighbor on my right is liberal and had those signs up during the election. Neighbor on my left still invited neighbor on my right to their yearly cul de sac cookie party and they came. Nobody here seems to care. It's refreshing.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:40 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Hi, the last thing I would want my new neighbors in the Phoenix area to think is "oh great, another lib moving in". I'm not. And I wont vote that way either.

Would you recommend anything special to help the transition? Change plates quickly? Conversate with the neighbors? I like conversation yet many in SoCal dont.

I'm also not from CA, just been working there for many years. My birthplace and alma mater is in the Midwest. I have no shortage of exterior flags and decor from my home state. Would flying a bit of that help? Thx!
First of all, stop assuming everyone living there is a Republican or conservative

There are a lot of Democrats and liberals in Tempe, Downtown Phoenix, Flagstaff, Sedona, Bisbee, parts of Tucson, Yuma and the Navajo, Hopi and Apache Reservations -- basically, all the interesting parts of the state!

Most actual native Arizonans are moderate-to-liberal, they're just vastly outnumbered by people like you.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:58 PM

427 posts, read 368,114 times
Quote:
they're just vastly outnumbered by people like you.
Perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area