Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 07:16 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times

Advertisements

https://www.azcentral.com/in-depth/m...ng/2978969002/

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ng/3175202002/

The articles mainly focus on housing ... however, I'm seeing the rising costs more noticeably in other things, such as groceries, gas, and utilities. One of the main issues is the overall wages are not keeping up with the cost of living, which is putting a tight squeeze on many middle class people. Of course, this isn't just a Phoenix issue, but it is further proof that Phoenix is becoming less affordable compared to how it was just a decade ago. Although we are more affordable than CA, I'm afraid we're allowing ourselves to move in the direction of our neighbor to the west.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:10 PM

30,403 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
https://www.azcentral.com/in-depth/m...ng/2978969002/

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ng/3175202002/

The articles mainly focus on housing ... however, I'm seeing the rising costs more noticeably in other things, such as groceries, gas, and utilities. One of the main issues is the overall wages are not keeping up with the cost of living, which is putting a tight squeeze on many middle class people. Of course, this isn't just a Phoenix issue, but it is further proof that Phoenix is becoming less affordable compared to how it was just a decade ago. Although we are more affordable than CA, I'm afraid we're allowing ourselves to move in the direction of our neighbor to the west.
I think it's always going to be a situation where the cost in Cali is going to be a factor in Arizona and Phoenix....as Cali gets more expensive, so does Phoenix but it will always be cheaper.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:18 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,639,561 times
So Phoenix is expensive, where does that drive people to move? All the surrounding states are expensive as well. Oklahoma, New Mexico, Kansas? The cycle is unsustainable.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:32 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
So Phoenix is expensive, where does that drive people to move? All the surrounding states are expensive as well. Oklahoma, New Mexico, Kansas? The cycle is unsustainable.
New Mexico is cheaper ... but then on the other hand, who would want to live there? Good jobs are scarce, and it's like the Mississippi of the west. It hasn't experienced the rapid growth rate for these reasons. What I see happening is more people continue to move to the Phoenix area, but as wages remain stagnant while the cost of living accelerates, they might have to contend with more of a CA lifestyle: renting smaller places & rooming with others, or moving way out to the exurbs where the prices are cheaper.

I'm not saying the rising housing costs are exactly bad for everybody. Somebody like me who owns free & clear will likely continue to see a rise in property values. My home value has already more than tripled since the big economic downturn 10 years ago, so that's definitely a plus. The downside to that is higher property taxes. For those who are in the market to buy, it's going to be a struggle unless they have a substantial net worth.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:35 PM

61 posts, read 48,949 times
Luckily the sunshine is free!

Old 04-06-2019, 10:17 PM

268 posts, read 216,638 times
This is the reality of most of America's top major cities. Dallas and Atlanta are both in the same boat unless one wants to live an hour or more away from the cities. Mid-tier cities or very undesirable cities are all that will be "affordable" in the future IMO.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:19 PM

Those that you listed are spot on that still have "affordable" cities! Of course, its more but its all about do folks want to live in those areas and do they have a strong job market.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:47 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I'm looking ahead a few years to when I have to live off my retirement, and figured out pretty fast that I won't be able to do that in Phoenix. The top 3 cities on my list right now are San Antonio, Tucson and El Paso/Las Cruces. If they don't pan out, I have other options but they're lower on the list.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I'm looking ahead a few years to when I have to live off my retirement, and figured out pretty fast that I won't be able to do that in Phoenix. The top 3 cities on my list right now are San Antonio, Tucson and El Paso/Las Cruces. If they don't pan out, I have other options but they're lower on the list.
I have to ask because I worked with a guy from San Antonio via the Air Force, but is it that much more affordable than Phx? I always thought they were similar?

Old 04-06-2019, 11:03 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times
I've been downtown since '13. My rent has increased each year. No improvements but traffic and parking are getting worse. I was hoping to relocate to another part of town but it sounds like the problem is spreading. Unfortunately, we have to deal with those fleeing California. They drive up our cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area