Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 07:46 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,712,573 times

Advertisements

Happs was just posting about aggravation with contractors, but my current mystery is gardeners.

In the last few months, I have probably called about 30 gardeners. They were all either recommended by people or nurseries, or else they have posted ads, meaning they were looking for clients. Yet, here I am still looking. (If you know of any inexpensive low-end garden/yardwork guys for the East Valley-Scottsdale-Tempe area, let me know.)

A few were so grandiose, with minimums of $300-$600 per visit, that it was easy to decline up front. But of the affordable rest, I'd say that 50% didn't have enough English to deal with the most basic questions (like their prices), about 40% didn't return calls at all, and maybe 10% came by, seemed like possibilities but then didn't call back later on. This baffles me. Why post an ad if you're not going to call potential clients? Why risk your reputation with someone who recommended you? With so much anti-immigration feeling these days, why not try to learn better English? And that isn't even taking into account guys who are just ignorant. One guy, who'd helped me in the past, said cheerily that he'd come over on a particular day, didn't show, and didn't return later calls. Now, he already knew me, so if he didn't like me, he needn't have agreed to come.

Oh, and it's amazing how many guys - handymen, too - later claim they didn't call because they were in the hospital. I'd like to demand the adult equivalent of a note from their mothers to verify that

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 09:32 PM

1,336 posts, read 928,323 times
Nice to know... I'm about to be in the gardener looking mode soon.

On Nextdoor I see plenty of the recommendations for various services, and then somebody posts back and says, hey I called your guy/gal, and they never called back, what gives with your rec.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:20 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Lackadaisical behavior is pretty much typical of all contractors, IMO.

When we bought our house last November, every neighbor had a landscaper they were eager to recommend. But none of them seemed to want the business enough to follow up with us and give a quote. In the end, we decided to do our own yard work and save the $500/month that is standard for this area. (We pay $100/month at our Silicon Valley home -- I'm beginning to think that's the deal of a lifetime!)

Tree pruning is beyond our capabilities. Before the monsoons come, hopefully I'll be able to find someone who wants the work. I've been trying to get our misting system turned back on and serviced but the company isn't returning my calls.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:57 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post

Oh, and it's amazing how many guys - handymen, too - later claim they didn't call because they were in the hospital. I'd like to demand the adult equivalent of a note from their mothers to verify that

LOL - I had the same excuse from a concrete worker. "Sorry, I can't make it this morning I'm in the hospital". He showed up later that same afternoon and did the work! I agree, baffling.

I have semi-reliable landscapers. He only charges $35 per week to blow/mow and light trim the front and back and more extensive trimming of bushes once per month. Trouble is, I need him to come a specific day of week and he's not reliable at all. I never know when he'll show up. Stressful!

Let me know if you find someone good!

Old 05-22-2019, 12:07 AM

1,336 posts, read 928,323 times
$500 / month !!? That's crazy. What do you have, like 5 acres of bushes to trim?

I had a painter come and do reliable whole interior painting, and pretty reasonable, though not perfectly perfect.
But he came and followed up on punch list. At least the job is done, and done well enough.

Also I have a very good electrician who is a one man shop, but he's super detailed and a perfectionist.
Not too expensive.

All in Scottsdale area.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:45 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,727,219 times
My neighbor is an electrician and is an absolute phenomenal worker. He works for himself 7 days a week and is not yet jaded. If I had anything I needed done I would ask him for help and or referrals. So not every guy stinks.

Landscapers on the other hand, are a whole different issue. I see the weekly guys down the street and I shake my head every time I see them because they S$%K! I can't believe people pay them weekly. The 2 properties they handle look terrible and they've been doing them for years. My retired neighbors have done the roulette wheel of having guys come in and they just can't get the dependability so they do their own shrubs and weeds and I do their trees. It's not ideal, because of scheduling, but they feel safer.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:43 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
A good gardener will have a full schedule and they will only take a new customer when they lose a customer. That means you get that customer's day and approximate time, like Wednesday at 6:30 am. You can't expect them to move others around to accommodate you.

The rise in minimum wage has raised the prices. Landfills keep going up too.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:57 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
$500 / month !!? That's crazy. What do you have, like 5 acres of bushes to trim?

No, it just seems like it. A little under an acre but it's all thickly planted. I'm hoping the jackrabbits will start taking up the slack.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:32 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
I would agree with the landscaper search...we have been through a few, even highly recommended and for the most part are flakes.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:05 AM

13,750 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
A good gardener will have a full schedule and they will only take a new customer when they lose a customer. That means you get that customer's day and approximate time, like Wednesday at 6:30 am. You can't expect them to move others around to accommodate you.

The rise in minimum wage has raised the prices. Landfills keep going up too.

This applies to pool vendors as well.

It's business 101: Know your job, don't rip-off and be reliable.

Those who are skilled and have good business sense are busy all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area