Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:32 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times

Advertisements

There are only a couple of dairy farms left in Gilbert. Most of them have been sold and have houses sitting on them now.

On occasion, down near Val Vista and Warner, when the air flow is just right, one can get a whiff of the diary farms, but it's very mild, non toxic, and fleeting in nature.

If one experiences it for the first time, they won't know what it is, and will quickly forget about it because it'll be gone as quickly as it arrived.

Just remember that Gilbert was a farm town.

The little Old Gilbert down town area on Gilbert Rd between Guadalupe and Elliot have kept the old farm town flavor. They and the few dairy farms left are nice reminders of the great history of this wonderful city.

So enjoy the fresh dairy farm aroma while you can. In a couple years they'll all be gone, and we won't have any more sensory reminders of what once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 02:34 PM

21 posts, read 103,178 times
I have lived in Gilbert for four months now and this is my opinion:

Nice People
Beautiful well kept areas
Safety
Easy access to highways

Dislike:
Not being able to ever open my windows because the smell of cow poop (I live at Power and Ray and smell it ALL down Power for miles in either direction).
Not being able to ever open my windows because the houses are CRAMMED TOGETHER LIKE ROW HOMES and people are incredibly irresponsible about their dogs barking constantly (all day and all night)
Not being able to ever open my windows because there is a train that runs all night blowing it's horn constantly.
Not being able to ever open my windows because the airplanes fly close above our house and they are LOUD.
Being far from all culture.

To sum it up, as nice as some things are, I did not move here so that I would have to constantly keep my windows shut and hold my nose. We will be moving as soon as humanly possible. People on this board said you can barely smell the farms any more? Drive in my neighborhood on ANY DAY OR NIGHT and tell me that again.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:07 AM

860 posts, read 2,716,591 times
Pros:
1.pretty parks and green spaces
2.affordable homes in desirable areas
3.quaint little downtown with cool restaurants and vintage diner, historical center
4.surrounding farms and horse properties, connection to agriculture adds to charm
5. drive in any direction for nice shopping and family restaurants.

cons
1. not close to the mountains, hiking
2.quaint downtown area is the only place with history, the rest is new(one man's pro...)
3.some parts of Gilbert are pretty far away from Phoenix central/employment
4.overly large high schools except Campo Verde-love it so far!
5.drive in any direction and there's shopping, restaurants.( love-hate it but I am a mom so it works for me)

Old 10-08-2010, 10:30 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
I live in Chandler but I boarder Gilbert and my kids went to school at Perry High. I use to love that drive because of the farms, so peaceful out there, like you are in another part of the country. I use to laugh with my teenagers about it and sing "Foot Loose" on the drive, it drove them crazy. lol
I guess I got use to the smell too, or I sort of don't mind it because I love the farm thing as well. I know a lot of people hate it, and I understand if you did I would never move out by a farm.

The only neg I would say would be lack of entertainment, I wish they would move the state fair out there, that would be awesome! But, more entertainment would probably take away from that farmish small town feel that I dig out there. So, maybe it's just as well. Otherwise, I have no real complaints about Gilbert as a whole, I'm partial to the farmie side. lol

Old 10-09-2010, 07:54 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I live in Chandler but I boarder Gilbert and my kids went to school at Perry High. I use to love that drive because of the farms, so peaceful out there, like you are in another part of the country. I use to laugh with my teenagers about it and sing "Foot Loose" on the drive, it drove them crazy. lol
I guess I got use to the smell too, or I sort of don't mind it because I love the farm thing as well. I know a lot of people hate it, and I understand if you did I would never move out by a farm.

The only neg I would say would be lack of entertainment, I wish they would move the state fair out there, that would be awesome! But, more entertainment would probably take away from that farmish small town feel that I dig out there. So, maybe it's just as well. Otherwise, I have no real complaints about Gilbert as a whole, I'm partial to the farmie side. lol
I agree with Twiggy. I live in Val Vista Lakes in Gilbert, and to me, Gilbert is a bedroom town; and in my opinion, should be kept that way.

Entertainment is not far away. Mesa Arts Center is very close. Scottsdale Performing Arts, and other large performing arts centers are within a 45 minute drive.

The San Tan and Superstition Mountains for hiking are close enough.

Gilbert is essentially a lush green environment, so to be any closer to the mountains could make it seem more like being in the desert (which we are).

Keeping the state fair, and other large entertainment facilities, like ball parks, in the other cities, keeps traffic down in Gilbert.

So I'm happy with Gilbert just the way it is.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:10 AM

860 posts, read 2,716,591 times
Its true that when you go into area close to the mountains, the environment changes. We have felt more comfortable when we drive back into Gilbert from Scottsdale or Cave Creek, even though the desert areas have a dramatic beauty. But if someone really wanted to be near the mountains it would be a con.
Its nice that you have a choice in the Phoenix area between different environments. Being from the Midwest, we have entertained the thought of living in desert front splendor, but I feel more and more that we prefer a home with trees and grass. And then of course our Sunday afternoon drives to the desert will be more exciting!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,754 times
Hi, how hard do you think a move from Ohio would be?
thanks for any and all advice! :-)
Linda

Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 AM

64 posts, read 134,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Help me with your opinions of Gilbert please

Name 5 reasons you love Gilbert and 5 reasons you don't love it.

Thanks!
Pros:
-Good Schools
-Nice looking area for the most part
-Crime is low (most of the time)
-Homes are pretty affordable
-The parks are nice

Cons: -Unfriendly Ultra-Religious people and their kids
-Lacks Diversity and culture (is boring)
-Strip malls, cookie cutter homes, repeat
-Not a whole lot of good paying jobs (Pretty much all retail jobs)
-Spread out / slower pace of life then other areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area