Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 02:51 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
You will not find an apartment for $700 in that area. Not even close.
The only area with $700 rent may require bullet proof vests.

If that's all you can afford, start looking for organizations that offer low income housing. You will have to get approved. Even the $1200/month complexes will rent a few government subsidized ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 02:52 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpastures2021 View Post
I'm going to list some street names. I have no idea

what area it is in as Im not familiar with

Phoenix. Perhaps someone could tell me if the area

the street is in is considered safe or just not

high crime?

If any of them stand out to you, I appreciate your input!

Thanks!

W McDowell Rd
W Roosevelt St
W ThomasRd
East Bell Road
West Bell Road
N 7th St
N Black Canyon Hwy
N 32 St
N 24th
W Coolidge St
W Pierson St
North 41st Ave
N 35th Ave
N 44th
W Camelback Rd
E Camelback Rd
E Thomas
E Taylor

The streets you've named stretches miles and miles since Phoenix is in a grid. This means that one area of East Thomas may be safe and then a few miles down the road, it can get rough. So cross streets would help us better.

But to find a place for 700 will be really tough. I would suggest finding a roommate that is wiling to pay $700 and find a place in a good area. Or maybe you can rent a room from someone's house for $700.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:53 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,480,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
But to find a place for 700 will be really tough.
I used to live in an area where every block had at least 2-3 guest houses for rent. When I left three years ago the going rate for a guest house was about $900, when two years before that the going rate was $500. Phoenix is simply not that affordable anymore.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:56 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpastures2021 View Post
Hi guys! I need suggestions for apartments within the $700-800(max) range in decent to nice areas. It doesnt matter if it's 1-2 bedroom or studio. As long as it falls in the price range and is a fairly 'safe' place for a single mother.

I don't need the ritz, just so long as it is not high crime. Not concerned so much about amenities or anything else.

Go to Zillow for Phoenix. Click rent. Put in your max price. Read the listings. Find the name of the apartment complex then look it up on Yelp for reviews and you'll find out if it's in a good or bad area.

https://www.zillow.com/phoenix-az/

Do the same for the surrounding cities.

Avoid roommates if you can. They can turn into nightmares in a heartbeat.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:17 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,480,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Go to Zillow for Phoenix. Click rent. Put in your max price. Read the listings. Find the name of the apartment complex then look it up on Yelp for reviews and you'll find out if it's in a good or bad area.
I just did this and frankly surprised that there were a few. With due diligence and some detective work, willingness to live in a studio apartment there were actually a few places that would be decent.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:38 PM

29 posts, read 24,031 times
Hello,

Two things ... we are home shopping and have found the crime filter on the maps at Realtor dot com to be exceptionally helpful. Areas that are high in crime are a darker orange, areas that are better are light orange. The filter can be turned on/off. You might try that to filter down some of the areas you are considering. $700 is a difficult price point no matter what area. My suggestion would be North Phoenix through PV area if possible, but *not* anything directly on Bell Road West of the 51.

Second, no idea what your situation is, but you might reach out to a seasoned realtor and/or mortgage professional to help you determine if you can qualify for down payment assistance programs for buying a home. A one bedroom condo or townhome in a good area could be within your reach at *around* that payment (assuming roughly 180k asking price @ 3.25 interest). If there are credit issues, there are counseling services that can help bring up a score so you qualify. Sometimes, if structured right, you can get the down payment itself covered by the assistance programs, and the closing costs covered by the seller. It's working for us, we are closing soon. Here is a link to Arizona's program (this is not a sponsored or realtor driven page): https://homeplusaz.com/

Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area