Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 11:29 PM

117 posts, read 129,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Move to Guatemala.
()

Not unfortunately, but very thankfully. The Phoenix area was too cheap for too long, and now we're finally in a position where the prices have appreciated very nicely without being too costly like CA or some other areas. What we need now is a much more diversified economy so that any future downturns won't be as hurtful as the last one (2008).
economy seems more diversified here in AZ than in CA (compared to all but the Silicon Valley and urban neighborhoods within 5-7 miles of a major UC or private elite university)

Banking and corporate/regional offices seem much stronger here than in CA -- California never really recovered after the first wave of banks and corporate/regional offices jumped ship in the recession of the early 1990s.

we may not have the social media and big pharma firms to the level that CA does, but the AZ economy is diverse in other ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 12:57 AM

13,284 posts, read 7,330,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockhart View Post
Rent in Phoenix is so expensive. How do I find a place to rent with a criminal history and poor credit? A lot of places run a credit/background check for a fee but they're also making money off people who can't afford it.
Buy a camp trailer park it in one of those mobile home parks out in AJ. My inlaw did that after his 3rd divorce and 2nd BK. He picked up a 16' trailer had a guy tow it there for him saved him a ton of money you have to be able to work on things yourself. With hookups everything worked okay have to put fill propane tanks. I could live in one of those if I was single this was awhile back but I think he only paid $3500 for the trailer the park was cheap less then $300 a month. The one thing have to check out good is the roofs people let them bake in the sun then when it rains leaks. Just need to use a ladder take a good look at the roof nothing cracking like rubber sealant. If the stove doesn't work just use a microwave oven.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,370 times
The rent is so high for us at the moment, with no criminal history and a decent job. I would suggest moving to Glendale or skipping PHX AZ entirely. We are thinking of moving out east. The rent is cheaper and the salaries are about the same. KCMO is good, PA, WI... IOWA. I heard virginia is nice too.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:05 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,380,477 times
Default The Model you create, or follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I don't know anything about rental applicants other than what they tell me. They usually all sound nice when we speak over the phone and/or meet me at the property.

A credit/background check is the only way I can gage an applicants ability to pay on time as well as if they have an arrest record.

However, I suspect in the coming years some cities in Cal. will no longer allow a credit/background check to be run on rental applications.

And Phx will follow not long after that.
One real bad scam for renters is not even knowing who they're renting FROM. That's endemic in the USA (and 'splains how the former First family and their close relatives got to where they were). We usually had direct referrals and since these units were family sized, (and built for the market) we never had much of an issue. Parking was outside and gated, so no garage to grow=op, store stolen goods, or today, cook METH. I wouldn't want to be a landlord today. I'm working with a guy right now who owns and manages a big inventory, but we already know all the local idiots. He went to elementary school with most of them!!!

Old 04-15-2021, 04:44 PM

13,787 posts, read 8,019,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
One real bad scam for renters is not even knowing who they're renting FROM. That's endemic in the USA (and 'splains how the former First family and their close relatives got to where they were). We usually had direct referrals and since these units were family sized, (and built for the market) we never had much of an issue. Parking was outside and gated, so no garage to grow=op, store stolen goods, or today, cook METH. I wouldn't want to be a landlord today. I'm working with a guy right now who owns and manages a big inventory, but we already know all the local idiots. He went to elementary school with most of them!!!
If you're renting from a property management company you will deal with them. They provide the lease agreement. Why would it matter who actually owns the property? The renter won't be working with the owner.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:17 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Buy a camp trailer park it in one of those mobile home parks out in AJ. My inlaw did that after his 3rd divorce and 2nd BK. He picked up a 16' trailer had a guy tow it there for him saved him a ton of money you have to be able to work on things yourself. With hookups everything worked okay have to put fill propane tanks. I could live in one of those if I was single this was awhile back but I think he only paid $3500 for the trailer the park was cheap less then $300 a month. The one thing have to check out good is the roofs people let them bake in the sun then when it rains leaks. Just need to use a ladder take a good look at the roof nothing cracking like rubber sealant. If the stove doesn't work just use a microwave oven.
American Steel inc will put up an RV Carport, included in the selling price, for a reasonable amount. It will protect your roof.

https://americansteelinc.com/products/

Old 04-15-2021, 05:43 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,715,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockhart View Post
Rent in Phoenix is so expensive. How do I find a place to rent with a criminal history and poor credit? A lot of places run a credit/background check for a fee but they're also making money off people who can't afford it.

It would help if you told us what you've tried so far. Start with Craigslist. Tell them, "I don't have a good credit score at the moment, but I'd be happy to either pay you a double security deposit, or pay you the first three months rent in advance." It helps if your landlord is a person, not a corporation.

Yes, that's what capitalism is, making money off people who can't afford things.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:51 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,774,134 times
Do you have a job OP? If not, that'd be a first step. There are places that will hire people with a criminal history... a lot of trades will, as will home depot.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:44 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,276,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
It would help if you told us what you've tried so far. Start with Craigslist. Tell them, "I don't have a good credit score at the moment, but I'd be happy to either pay you a double security deposit, or pay you the first three months rent in advance." It helps if your landlord is a person, not a corporation.

Yes, that's what capitalism is, making money off people who can't afford things.
So what would your version of utopia look like? Sitting back getting money from Daddy Government?

Old 04-16-2021, 08:47 AM

90 posts, read 78,544 times
My nephew wants to move down here from Oregon, I'm trying to help him find something under $1k but the ones I do are typically roach infested and/or in a bad area. The cheapest place we could find was a motel called Siegel Suites, the place looks decent but it's in Maryvale which is also not the best area. I wish there were an easy way to find cheap places that aren't roach infested.

Sadly, prices are going up everywhere. Oregon used to be a great state, and while their COL has been above the national average for a bit, now it's almost to California prices. At this point, Phoenix is only slightly better than Portland for housing costs. He told me he wants to leave Oregon because of how expensive it is but he is scared that he's only going to get stuck, it's not the worst places to be stuck but it's becoming a place of haves and have nots, much like California, Washington, and much of the Northeast. I feel bad for anyone trying to move that doesn't have the means to save up a lot of money. Everyone is moving, this pandemic made a lot of people realize things about where they live, including myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area