Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 10:03 AM

13,788 posts, read 8,026,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbar View Post
My nephew wants to move down here from Oregon, I'm trying to help him find something under $1k but the ones I do are typically roach infested and/or in a bad area. The cheapest place we could find was a motel called Siegel Suites, the place looks decent but it's in Maryvale which is also not the best area. I wish there were an easy way to find cheap places that aren't roach infested.

Sadly, prices are going up everywhere. Oregon used to be a great state, and while their COL has been above the national average for a bit, now it's almost to California prices. At this point, Phoenix is only slightly better than Portland for housing costs. He told me he wants to leave Oregon because of how expensive it is but he is scared that he's only going to get stuck, it's not the worst places to be stuck but it's becoming a place of haves and have nots, much like California, Washington, and much of the Northeast. I feel bad for anyone trying to move that doesn't have the means to save up a lot of money. Everyone is moving, this pandemic made a lot of people realize things about where they live, including myself.
Why a property manager or owner would allow a rental to become roach infected is beyond me.

In any case the word is out. Phx is on the move. I was downtown around 3rd street and Roosevelt last Sunday morning. All kinds of construction and gentrification going on. Saw mostly White couples (30ish) pushing strollers, drinking coffee outside cafes, jogging ect. (Did see a few homeless pushing carts but the homeless encampment I drove past is not in the immediate area.)

Not much difference than areas of the Mission district in SF except the same quality $2200 month apartment in Phx likely rents for $4500 or more in SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 06:45 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,484,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post

In any case the word is out. Phx is on the move. I was downtown around 3rd street and Roosevelt last Sunday morning. All kinds of construction and gentrification going on. Saw mostly White couples (30ish) pushing strollers, drinking coffee outside cafes, jogging ect. (Did see a few homeless pushing carts but the homeless encampment I drove past is not in the immediate area.)
For anyone that is a long term Phoenix resident, this description is still mind boggling. To see an area like Roosevelt make such a dramatic turn in roughly a decade or so is amazing. When I hear Roosevelt area I still briefly think about a rough area known for ladies (who may very well be men) of the evening strolling around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area